Kelvin Hall

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Kelvin Hall

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:11 pm

Is it true that the main bulk of the Kelvin Hall is to be demolished and replaced with yet more "luxury flats" :(

Sad if it's true, lot of memories there. I always thought the Transport Museum should have been given the whole building as originally planned.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 pm

I heard a similar thing too. When the new indoor arena is built down near the Clyde (or is that just the new transport museum?) there are plans for converting it I think.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm

Another travesty...

Stick the carnival back in there instead of the clydeside shed of the SECC
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Kelvin Hall

Postby Tamandee » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 pm

See here: http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/mu ... lasgow.htm
for some details of the new Transport Museum. I didn't spot any mention of the old one though :( It would be a shame to lose this outstanding building.
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Kelvin Hall

Postby hazy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Ok then which Glasgow Dictrict Cunterlar is getting thier pockets lined for this one then.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 pm

Crazy, here we have a ready made building with a lot of history, in a great location, and the GCC plans to build that thing near the river.
From what i've heard the front stonework will stay, but the rest will go. Even so, what a waste.
The cash would be better spent converting the whole Kelvin Hall to a transport museum, it would cost a fraction of a new building.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Place your bets on it burning down in a few years time when its been left empty for a while
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:26 pm

McShad wrote:Place your bets on it burning down in a few years time when its been left empty for a while

so cynical..........

I have only had real active interest in Glasgow for the last three years, and I know what you mean. There is an uncanny amount of fires.......

Was walking past the now close Odeon in Renfield street, and jokingy said to the g/f - keep away from that buidling now - there'll be a fire - that way they can destroy the Facade and get away with it.
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:32 pm

McShad wrote:Place your bets on it burning down in a few years time when its been left empty for a while

It's another fine old Glasgow tradition ::):
The SECC is one building I wouldn't mind seeing the back of, can it get any uglier :?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:45 pm

Isn't it great how the Transport Museum is being moved further away from the public transport system :?
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:47 pm

I remember looking forward to the opening of the 'new' transport museum in the Kelvin Hall, having been to many car shows held in the exhibition space in previous years. I also remember the feeling of dismay and disappointment when I saw what was actually delivered amounted to little more than a shed around the back. (And that's not to decry the displays or the efforts of the staff).

I agree they could save another small fortune, and not pad out the career of yet another 'signature architect' at our cost, by using the whole building if the museum is to be expanded.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 am

It's been YEARS since I've been to the Transport Museum. I need to make a point of going down sometime before it moves...
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:31 am

Well, the SECC improved very slightly when it went from orange to grey...
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:06 am

McShad wrote:Well, the SECC improved very slightly when it went from orange to grey...

It looks like a naval base, just awful :?

I understand it was originaly hoped for the Transport Museum to take over the whole Kelvin Hall, but some dick (Glasgow University also put up funding) came up with the idea of an indoor arena in the larger section.
In practice it hasn't worked well at all. The tv companies hate filming there, as a result it hasn't had the prominence & cash they hoped for.

But what an opportunity, kick out the sports arena and extend the museum. Of course the GCC is too wrapped up in "new & cool" to even consider that.

Pricks :(
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm

How about entertaining the idea that the Museum of Transport being located next to the Clyde will prove more beneficial in the longrun. Rather than the museum being overshadowed by its newly improved (to the tune of £27million) neighbour is it not befitting that it should be given a setting on a par with Kelvingrove to showcase the treasures it holds? Is it not right that the Museum of transport should be sited on the banks of our river, in a place which will be more accessable for a huge number of Glaswegians than its present local, and hopefully act as a cornerstone for the regeneration of the Clyde harbour? Does the Museum of Transport not deserve the money being spent on it? Should we not continue to add to the legacy of our forebears in securing a purpose-built place and future for this facility?

The rumours of the Kelvin Hall becoming luxury flats are exactly that at present: rumours! Indeed, if you read the glasgow and Clyde Valley 2025 Consultative Draft Structure Plan (2005) it actually states that:

"The 2005 Plan will also give consideration to recognising the international significance of the Educational and Cultural Quarter centred on the complex of national assetts centred on the West End of Glasgow City, namely Glasgow university, the Kelvingrove and Hunterian Museums, Kelvin Hall Sports Arena and related assetts."

This document is freely available online :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)