Demolished Glasgow Cinemas

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Demolished Glasgow Cinemas

Postby Josef » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Nodrog's site comes up trumps again.

Green's Picturedrome 21, Ballater Street Glasgow Thomas Baird Demolished
o. 3.11 by George Green Ltd. Purpose-built? Arch. Thomas Baird. s. 1,100. Cl. 2.58. Dem. c.1966.

Photo here.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Josef wrote:Nodrog's site comes up trumps again.

Green's Picturedrome 21, Ballater Street Glasgow Thomas Baird Demolished
o. 3.11 by George Green Ltd. Purpose-built? Arch. Thomas Baird. s. 1,100. Cl. 2.58. Dem. c.1966.

Photo here.

Josef,
thanks.
I recognise it from the picture but I don't think it was open when I was young.
I lived not to far away from it, in Crown Street and laterly Oxford Street.
The reason it came to mind was it is mentioned in a book I'm reading at the moment, 'Young Herriot' the early life and times of James Herriot. In it, it is mentioned that his father was employed as a pianist at the Picturedrome, which seems a far distance to come as the Wight family lived in Yoker at the time.
I couldn't for the life of me remember a cinema of that name, but the picture has now filled the gap in.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:09 pm

From the Herald's "From the Archives" section today.

100 Years Ago
Interesting displays are given in the picture-houses in Glasgow. This week's production is one of the best which have yet been presented at the Charing Cross Electric Theatre. Outstanding is a powerful dramatic picture, "Love and Friendship, in which there are many exciting incidents, notably a duel between two women. The Picture house at 140 Sauchiehall St. has a varied and interesting display, the most outstanding feature of which is a dramatic piece entitled" Foul Play," an adaptation from the famous novel by Charles Reade. At the Cinema House , Renfield St, and excellent entertainment is provided. (sic )
Most of the pictures are of a humorous description, and particularly diverting are those entitled,"The Man in the Taxi," and Automatic Removing."

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/charingx.html

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/regent.html

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Not really demolished, but HG member takes a look at old cinemas
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=959814137365943
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:18 am

Guacho wrote:Not really demolished, but HG member takes a look at old cinemas
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=959814137365943

Great job, Gary!
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The demolition of The State Cinema Shettleston

from Glasgow History

A slight irony is that the building that went up on the site of the State Cinema, a Halfords superstore in 1988, was shuttered at the end of last year and it is sitting empty. Wonder if anyone will take it on, or if it too will get flattened.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Can anyone tell me the name of the cinema that used to be situated at Main Street, Baillieston? My sister, my cousin and I would like to know. I was born in 1943, and I can remember seeing it when I was a very young boy - but I never saw it open. You could peer through the rusty iron shutters at the front, and it was pitch-dark inside, so I think it must have stopped showing pictures sometime in the forties - which is unusual. (Pictures like the State & Odeon in Shettleston were packing them in at the time.)

I think I can remember seeing a large A.E.Piccard placard placed high on the building. "Owned by A.E.Piccard" I think it said. Piccard owned a LOT of derelict buildings. He seemed to buy them and do nothing with the property. My late mother said she remembered going the the pictures in that cinema in Baillieston, and it showed "FELIX the CAT" all the time. She used to recite a little poem - something about "Felix keeps on walking..."

We are wondering if it was called The Picture House. Does anyone know? Anyone know when it closed?
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Cinemas we have on our database for Baillieston - never seen a single pic of the only one we know to have existed!

Name Address Town Architect Status
Pavilion Picture House Main Street Baillieston Thomas Martin Demolished. Opened 1913, seating 560.

Rio Main Street/Muirside Rd Baillieston McNair & Elder Unbuilt
Never built due to outbreak of war. Application to build 1202 seat cinema made in May 1939. T. Bowhill Gibson ?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks a lot! So it was the PAVILION Picture House, and it opened 1913. ..... My mother and her three sisters would have been going there in the 1930's. I began school aged 3 or 4 in 1947/8 in Buchanan St in Baillieston, and I can remember seeing this picture house as a derelict place. I am glad to know its correct name. Thanks again!!!
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 am

la scala cinema in clydebank now ready for the wrecking ball.sooooooooooooo many memories.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:20 am

l remember it now more for the snooker than the ABC Minors on a Saturday :-)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)