Demolished Glasgow Cinemas

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 pm

[quote="duck"]Back on page I of this post Wee Mo asked about the cinema on Paisley Road West but I couldn't see a reply. It was called the Mosspark Picture House.

I remember going there when i was a nipper ::): Not quite the Jeely Jaur days but long enough ago. :wink: try this

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00316
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:22 pm

::): Caught napping again. Cheers Nodrog :oops:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:34 pm

OK, pics as promised...

Here's the original Hengler's Circus in West Nile St - undated, so not sure which of the various rebuilds this might be:

Here's the fantastic looking Matcham building in Wellington St - seems quite a grand building for one that was only open between 1895 and 1900, wonder how long it lasted after that?

And finally, the Sauchiehall St one - I've no great pic of the exterior, but this sketch is dated around 1901. It still says Panorama, which possibly means it dates from earlier than that - it was seemingly originally opened as a Diorama in 1882, before becoming a skating rink in 1885, then the Hippodrome from 1897 or so. A fragment of these brick arches can still be seen in the Scott St facade of the building, and the arched window in the Sauchiehall St facade looks familiar too.

Finally, this is the interior of the Hippodrome, again undated, but presumably sometime between Hubner converting it in 1897 and Hengler closing it in 1924. You can plainly see the main difference between Hippodromes and other theatres and cinemas here, namely the circular ring in front of the proscenium. This was often capable of filling with water for spectacular water-based acts, such as re-enactments of great maritime battles!

Incidentally, for further research on Hengler, go here:

http://www.theglasgowstory.com

and bang the word circus into the search engine, you'll get a few items of interest, including an undated programme for one of Hengler's shows. Also of interest is a pic of a cottage in West Nile St photographed in 1955, said to be the only remaining part of the original West Nile St Hengler's.

For further research, I'd also suggest Glasgow University Library, whose Special Collections contain a very rich archive of theatre material. Can't find anything specific on their online catalogue, but they do hold a copy of a history of Hengler's Circus published in 1981 by Sean McCarthy, published by Glasgow's Third Eye Centre, the predecessor of today's CCA next door to the Sauchiehall St building!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Excellent post! Cheers for that Gary :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Simba » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:50 pm

nodrog wrote:There goes another one...

Is that what it looked like just before demolition? If so it's shocking to demolish it!!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:25 pm

It did indeed still look like that inside - it had been closed as an Asian cinema for just over a year before demolition had started, but was fairly secure and watertight.

The planning permission for the replacement flats specifically spoke of the cinema being "tired", which externally it was, although it had been painted regularly. Originally, the exterior was largely plain brick, very much an English style favoured by the original owner, Harry Kemp.

Same old same old with buildings like cinemas and churches - once they fall out of their original use, just what other use can be found for them? I wish I knew, could stop most of them being demolished!

One consolation in the case of the Capitol/Bombayis that the architect, John Fairweather, still has a few surviving cinemas in Scotland, and his designs were all pretty much the same - he was a very traditional old-school cinema designer, all classical pillars and capitals. Although his giant Green's Playhouse/Apollo in Renfield St has long gone, other Green's Playhouses of his still survive in Ayr and Wishaw, and another good survivor is the Savoy in Cambuslang. Further afield, the Edinburgh Playhouse (not a Green's) was his work too.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Brilliant post Gary - thanks very much for that! Amazing to see the one with the stage. I can just picture my grandfather diving into it. Perhaps it's the University Library that mentions him and not the Hunterian!! Guess where I'll be going when I'm next home!!
Thanks again
David
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:07 pm

Next one to go...

The Hampden Picture House in Westmoreland Street is currently being flattened....

Coverage in today's Evening Times:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5058279.html

(and yes, that is me 'quoted' in the article, and no, I didn't say that!
They've also managed to 'appropriate' the 1980s photo from our website without permission for the piece as well... :evil: )

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:41 pm

nodrog wrote:
Coverage in today's Evening Times:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5058279.html

(and yes, that is me 'quoted' in the article, and no, I didn't say that!
They've also managed to 'appropriate' the 1980s photo from our website without permission for the piece as well... :evil: )

Nodrog

Get intae them for copyright and misinformation. :twisted:
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:34 am

i dj'd at the Clada. Where are we gonna see Big Tom and the Mighty Mainliners now?

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:40 am

My word, that's some big collars....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tarzan-bridge » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Did they know what a "mainliner" was?
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:48 pm

Probably not. It of course has a railroad reference in that being on the main line is that much superior to being on a branch line.

However just about McCormacks in Bath Street there was a mission that was targetted on young people and all sorts of inducements bar alcohol were promised to seduce teenagers to enter. The cry was we've reformed alcoholics and main liners in here. And the repsonse from my mate already on the road to alcoholim was "Is that a Show band?"
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:21 pm

Slightly outside Glasgow, but hopefully still of interest. Anyone from Carluke or Cambuslang here?
We've just added some very atmospheric shots of possibly the worlds oddest looking cinema, the Windsor in Carluke, and the Empire in Cambuslang, both of which were demolished in the 1980s...

The Windsor, Carluke:
http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/scot ... rluke.html

The Empire, Cambuslang
http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/scot ... slang.html

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:36 pm

nodrog wrote:Slightly outside Glasgow, but hopefully still of interest. Anyone from Carluke or Cambuslang here?
We've just added some very atmospheric shots of possibly the worlds oddest looking cinema, the Windsor in Carluke, and the Empire in Cambuslang, both of which were demolished in the 1980s...

The Windsor, Carluke:
http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/scot ... rluke.html

I'm from Carluke originally... it's quite a weird looking place, but I only vaugely remember it. I'm sure that some of those bricks were re-used for the garden wall of a house further up the road.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)