Demolished Glasgow Cinemas

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nodrog » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Ah, that may very well be the house of the bloke that built the cinema, which was in the same style and does still exist!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:41 pm

nodrog wrote:Ah, that may very well be the house of the bloke that built the cinema, which was in the same style and does still exist!

I'll take the camera when I go home for Christmas! There's also a picture in a "bygone Carluke" book, which I could scan for you.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 pm

A pic of the house would be great thanks!
There are a couple of pics of the Windsor in her prime in Bruce Peter's Lanarkshire's Legendary Cinemas book as well.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:53 pm

I take it the torching of the Astoria was a backlash against the 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me' film. I saw that at the ABC in Sockysmall Street and it was so bad I wanted to crush a grape in anger.

Cracking cinema website by the way; very informative.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:50 am

nodrog wrote:A pic of the house would be great thanks!
There are a couple of pics of the Windsor in her prime in Bruce Peter's Lanarkshire's Legendary Cinemas book as well.

According to my dad, this is the place. The house looks pretty normal, but the wall is bizarre...

And the cinema itself... (picture from Bygone Carluke)

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:08 am

Cheers for those pics Ally, quite a contrast, and an abject lesson in how to use brickwork to both bland and extraordinary extremes!

We'll ask one of our sources if he knows for sure if the house with the wall was Burns' house - he wrote a book on Lanarkshire cinemas, and claimed that the house itself was in the same style, so this this is either a case of rescued brickwork or a slight embellishment of the facts!

Incidentally, Burns was apparently quite a character, an Irish showman originally before he went into the cinema business. It is said that he attempted to solve a film renting dispute once by travelling into Glasgow and having a bit of a scrap with the representative of 20th Century Fox there...

May we use the pic of the house on our site (with full credit of course!)?

Cheers,
Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:45 pm

gap74 wrote:Cheers for those pics Ally, quite a contrast, and an abject lesson in how to use brickwork to both bland and extraordinary extremes!

We'll ask one of our sources if he knows for sure if the house with the wall was Burns' house - he wrote a book on Lanarkshire cinemas, and claimed that the house itself was in the same style, so this this is either a case of rescued brickwork or a slight embellishment of the facts!

Incidentally, Burns was apparently quite a character, an Irish showman originally before he went into the cinema business. It is said that he attempted to solve a film renting dispute once by travelling into Glasgow and having a bit of a scrap with the representative of 20th Century Fox there...

May we use the pic of the house on our site (with full credit of course!)?

Cheers,
Gary

That's really interesting, what a guy!

I only know what my dad reckons about the house, I can't think of any others in the town that would fit the bill unless they're out of sight down a long driveway or something. If that's the wrong one and you have a location for the right one, I can go and scout it out.

Feel free to use the pictures, but by all means double check the house!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby junkcatcher » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:04 pm

Anyone remember the "State" in Shettleston ---not a trace left

see http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/glas ... index.html

Shettleston also had an Odeon --- don't know if the shell survives.
Andy
junkcatcher
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:44 pm

The Odeon Shettleston opened as the Broadway in 1930 designed by prolific Glasgow architect James McKissack for the Singleton chain; it was sold and re-named Odeon in 1936, and closed in 1967. In the pics below it was a bingo hall, but has since been demolished...

http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/glas ... adway.html

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:01 pm

There are archive shots of the Shettleston cinemas in the usual places, Virtual Mitchell has this nice pic of kids in a matinee queue at the Odeon:

Shettleston Odeon 1955

And a shot of the State in better days:

Shettleston State 1937

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:14 am

Few wee pics of Carluke in it's heyday, including the unusual interior - like several cinemas, this came from a scrapped ocean liner, in this case the Mauretania - elsewhere in Scotland, there are two surviving cinemas which still have ship interiors, remarkably both being from the same ship, the Homeric - the Rex in Stonehouse and the Regal in Broughty Ferry.

Below is the Rex in Stonehouse:

And this is the Regal Broughty Ferry:

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 pm

Website plug time:

http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/map.html

We've just added a new interactive, zoomable Google map of Glasgow's cinemas, past, present and future.
This lets you see where all the cinemas were/are/will be, and once you've found a cinema of interest, you can click on a marker to bring up a thumbail image of a cinema; clicking on that thumbnail then takes you to the full cinema information page.
The map currently shows the locations of 158 Glasgow cinemas - around 30 demolished Glasgow cinemas are yet to have their location added. We'll hopefully expand the coverage to other towns and cities in the coming months as well.

http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/map.html

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:28 pm

That looks really good! I'll have a proper look sometime when I'm not about to go to work!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:18 pm

...now up to 182 cinemas on the map. That's all of the ones we know of in the Glasgow area.

Nodrog

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cinemas

Postby norrie mcnamee » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi gordon, I see you are still on the ball, keep up the good work.
Bye for now, norrie
norrie
norrie mcnamee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)