Plaza Dance Hall Demolition due

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:34 pm

What the hell is the plan for the city, is there even a plan ?

Vast tracs of seemingly forgotten waste ground everywhere, and developers are insistant on demolishing everything old in sight, and replacing it with the most awful junk.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:12 pm

glasgowken wrote:What the hell is the plan for the city, is there even a plan ?

Vast tracs of seemingly forgotten waste ground everywhere, and developers are insistant on demolishing everything old in sight, and replacing it with the most awful junk.

Plan, joined up thinking, Ken where did you get this idea????

If only there really was a plan.

head of hg cynics
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:10 pm

Totally agree kitten, Glasgow does have a City Plan and a series of area plans but they are just that plans they can and frequently are changed.

Ask Alex for more info!

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:47 pm

From THE SCOTSMAN.com

THE last link to Glasgow's days as the "Dancing City" is doomed to demolition, as the only surviving municipal ballroom is swept away to make room for flats.

In its heyday during the 1920s, the Plaza Ballroom, at Eglinton Toll, on the South Side, was thronged with young people.

However 80 years on, the final curtain has closed after builders won the go-ahead to use the site for luxury flats.

The unlisted ballroom will be replaced by 76 plush apartments with basement car parking.

It was once regarded as one of the country's most beautiful halls, with its art-deco features.

Steven Cochrane, 47, an amateur historian, said he was appalled the landmark was to be reduced to rubble.

The civil servant added: "It is like a time capsule from a by-gone era. While the outside façade may be crumbling, the interior is in excellent condition."

A spokeswoman for Historic Scotland said it was unusual that the building had missed being listed in the mid-80s and given protected status, but it was now too late.

South Place Homes, based in Prestwick, will transform the property, but said it would retain many of the original features and incorporate the façade into the design.

Looking North

Looking South

If you are going to retain the original features, surely you keep the original features standing? I have never heard of a building being dismantled in Glasgow brick by brick, this must cost a fortune if true?
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:53 pm

Doesn't sound that nuts... perhaps the footprint of the new building wil eb different, or the foundations need work?

But it does look that they are carefully taking it down as stated brick by brick, none of the stone on the facade has been smashed up, and is all number presumably to make piecing together again nice and easy.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gap74 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:54 pm

My guess is that the facade is being at least partly retained, but not in anything like its previous configuration, hence why it was removed completely.

I do find the loss of the city's dance halls rather tragic, though. It may be cinemas that are my speciality, but dance halls are pretty much related in the social history of the masses as their rise and fall was pretty much parallel to that of cinemas. It's a shame that at least one isn't still surviving in its original form in some sort of sympathetic use - the Garage in Sauchiehall St is unrecognisable internally from its dancehall days, and the best one we have seems to be the Barrowland Ballroom, a cracking example cos it's been so little changed inside, but then it does only date from 1960.

Are there any more out there someone knows of that are good surviviors? I can't think of one of the top of my head.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:05 pm

But it does look that they are carefully taking it down as stated brick by brick, none of the stone on the facade has been smashed up, and is all number presumably to make piecing together again nice and easy.

Are there any plans or pictures of the flats they are going to build?
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:38 pm

Last dance for city's Plaza as famous ballroom bulldozed

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5057356.html

DEVELOPERS have promised to re-assemble the Plaza's unlisted sandstone frontage
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Some nice images of the Plaza, including interiors, now online at the RCAHMS website:

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/pls/portal/new ... ink=281997

(might require registration to CANMORE to view)

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:01 pm

The image is too large to post here and I can't be bothered resizing it but if you go to www.FutureGlasgow.co.uk, click the link to Medium Residential on the left hand pane and scroll right to the bottom you can see what's being built.

Be warned, its fucking hideous.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Flash_Andy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Apart from the purple and yellow bits.....it's OK :wink:

Why don't they just use different shades of red brick or is that too expensive?
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Well the pallette is buff cream (upper storeys) and red brick (flanking retained, if modified facade), don't think the colour has much to do with pricing but I could be wrong... not a big fan of large expanses of brick at any rate, don't think it would make much difference what colour it was. The purple will probably be aluminium or zinc. The new build at the former Shields Rd Motors site will give a good indication as to how this will look.

Vile.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Flash_Andy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 pm

The yellow looks like some sort of cladding and the top looks like cladding as well....I hate cladding :cry:
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:29 pm

It looks hideous and makes the facade retention seem totally pointless, and why do builders suddenly need to have at least 7 floors of shoebox sized flats to make a development "financially viable"?
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:33 pm

The scale really is quite something when you see the three cores now in situ but it's not something i have a problem with, not on this site anyway. It's just the quality of materials and design thats the problem. It looks as though its been thrown together from a "Building Flats for Dummies" guide.

Why is this particular area so badly plagued by crap residential developments? Why??? TELL ME!?!?!?! :roll:
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)