One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby Alycidon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am

If there is a God, there WILL be Deltics in Heaven!!

And Black fives, Duchesses, Britannias, 8Fs, Glens, Directors, etc etc.......... :D
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Oh buuger! :oops:
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Div » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 pm

The Whifflet line goes electric in December. Every second train will run through to Motherwell.

Westbound it joins the low level at Rutherglen and seems to be planned to run through beyond Partick to Dalmuir or Milngavie. Great news for gigs at The Hydro and should also mean more capacity for Celtic Park via Dalmarnock.

But there's more. Drumroll....the trains will run on Sundays! Albeit at only one per hour.
Div
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby RDR » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Div wrote:The Whifflet line goes electric in December. Every second train will run through to Motherwell.

Westbound it joins the low level at Rutherglen and seems to be planned to run through beyond Partick to Dalmuir or Milngavie. Great news for gigs at The Hydro and should also mean more capacity for Celtic Park via Dalmarnock.

But there's more. Drumroll....the trains will run on Sundays! Albeit at only one per hour.

Yes but there is a downside. As Lanark trains will now run to Central high level Bellshill and Uddingston, off peak, lose services to Dalmarnock and SECC
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:53 am

Swings and roundabouts I reckon - Newton and Cambuslang gain from Larkhall trains stopping at both stations, while the stations from Rutherglen westwards get the extra Whifflet trains.

Found this the other day - cab video from Central to Waverley. Reckon it's about 1990, going by the work at Newton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5OE9bp5lgU
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Div » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:22 am

RDR wrote:
Div wrote:The Whifflet line goes electric in December. Every second train will run through to Motherwell.

Yes but there is a downside. As Lanark trains will now run to Central high level Bellshill and Uddingston, off peak, lose services to Dalmarnock and SECC

Ah didn't realise that. I thought one of the reasons for going onto the low level was to reduce platform congestion on the high level. Seems crazy to be stopping any services to Exhibition Centre as The Hydro gets used more and more.

Perhaps the new franchise owners will come up with a better timetable. There's hundreds of big new homes been built along the Whifflet line recently, but I'm well aware of how busy the Bellshill/Uddingston services are too.

It's a shame there's no way to link Whifflet to Airdrie for frequent Edinburgh services. That would have removed the need to go west to head east.
Div
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby RDR » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:27 pm

Div wrote:
RDR wrote:

Ah didn't realise that. I thought one of the reasons for going onto the low level was to reduce platform congestion on the high level. Seems crazy to be stopping any services to Exhibition Centre as The Hydro gets used more and more.

Perhaps the new franchise owners will come up with a better timetable. There's hundreds of big new homes been built along the Whifflet line recently, but I'm well aware of how busy the Bellshill/Uddingston services are too.

It's a shame there's no way to link Whifflet to Airdrie for frequent Edinburgh services. That would have removed the need to go west to head east.

Abellio? Don't bank on it. A curious choice for the franchise. They run the Greater Anglia franchise in England and are currently joint bottom for punctuality and bottom for cleanliness, in the rankings.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am

The Scottish Railway Preservation Society have taken under their wing a very important piece of Glasgow Railway Engineering History, the fully working NBL MAN L12V18/21 diesel engine was originally fitted to a class 21 (type 2) locomotive built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. And survives due to it's later use in a stationary standby generator at Alexander Workwear.

Photos and details here..

http://realrail.smugmug.com/Trains/NBL-Type-2-Power-Unit#!/i-m2Cd8B5

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Alycidon wrote:If there is a God, there WILL be Deltics in Heaven!!

And Black fives, Duchesses, Britannias, 8Fs, Glens, Directors, etc etc.......... :D

Can someone tell me where the sump is in a deltic engine. The layout as I can see it does not lend itself to ease of lubrication. :?:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Godsgift wrote:
Alycidon wrote:If there is a God, there WILL be Deltics in Heaven!!

Can someone tell me where the sump is in a deltic engine. The layout as I can see it does not lend itself to ease of lubrication. :?:

Google "Dry sump".
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Some quick images from yesterday's SRPS rail tour to Fort William. An excellent day out, to be thoroughly recommended. It was very well attended, but I couldn't help noticing that the average age of your actual on-board-gricer couldn't have been less than 106 and if it hadn't been for my youthful presence I daresay it'd have clocked 190 or thereabouts. Maybe the Railway Nostalgia Express will eventually clickety-click its way to the end of the line? I hope not. Anyway…

72700P1000926steamdiesl3.jpg

72700P1000947steamatFW.jpg

72700P1000991this.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:58 am

On a Cross country train to Newcastle. Awful. Noisy, overcrowded, no sign of on train staff. Not the best journey I've ever taken.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:46 am

Mac

I am loving that lost shot in your Fort William sequence absolutely terrific

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 am

old jock wrote:Mac

John

And also unusual.

As well as being double-headed with a pair of beautiful Black 5s, the train is 'double-braked', with two brake coaches up front: usually, there would be one at the front and one at the rear.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:53 am

neilmc wrote:
old jock wrote:Mac

John

And also unusual.

As well as being double-headed with a pair of beautiful Black 5s, the train is 'double-braked', with two brake coaches up front: usually, there would be one at the front and one at the rear.

These two coaches are most likely the support coaches for the locomotive, so two locomotives = two support coaches

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)