One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby tobester » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Mac, the new trains are supposed to be 380 Enviros, although at present it is unsure whether they are heading to the north clyde or south clyde, but as they are being bought as 3 and 4 car sets i reckon the south will get them for the GARL and ayrshire routes, with the north clyde getting all the 334s (boo hiss), also a possibility the airdrie2bathgate extension will be run by 322s the better and bigger brother of the 320s, as they can go a lot faster.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Tobe!

380s is it? They'll soon be running out of TOPS numbers, Hell mend them. Anyway - thanks for the info and the pics which are greatly appreciated. I know that the Berwick flyer is a currently 322, but If I were Scotrail/ FirstRail/ Whatever-it-is-Rail I'd be holding out for Javelins.

What I say is bring back Chris Green. Get a rebuild of the 303s. Do Crossrail. Undo Beeching. Vote for me.

Off to walk the erstwhile Callander & Oban in the hope seeing a few ghost trains and meeting Julia Bradbury.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:29 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Off to walk the erstwhile Callander & Oban in the hope seeing a few ghost trains and meeting Julia Bradbury.

Caught that the other night, very interesting, have only ever driven by the lines that were in it.

And aye, if I had to get with a very slightly older lady, I reckon there's a lot worse than Ms Bradbury! One for the Would Ye thread maybe?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Gap!

There was me thinking how remarkably young she was (born 1972 - the year I was doing my O Levels and listenming to Slade). Well, they do say that when Long-Distance-Abandoned-Railway-Walkers start looking younger that one must be getting old.

I'm hoping she does the wonderful Invergarry-Fort Augustus at some time - I'll gladly help her over the styles. Whichever way I'l certainly be buying the DVD of her railway walks when it comes out.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:20 pm

OUTDOOR BABE 08 POLL here

http://whitespider1066.com/?p=1532

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Christ, she's only actually 2 years older than me then, my age guidance systems must be off!

This is what happens when the only ladies you tend to see are the ones on certain internet sites, must attend the real world more!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:25 pm

The Ayrshire line platforms are being lengthened to 8car length, thus the 4car 380's are supposed to be going there to deal with the current overcrowding and capacity issues.IIRC there are only 5 322 units, so they will need some of the 334/380's to support them and provide a full service E-G and beyond....
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Dave, there was always the thought that the 380s would go South Clyde, and North Clyde would get lumped with the 334s (crap to work through), looking at stuff in the airdrie both there will be 2 trains per hour from airdrie to edinburgh, one taking 64 mins (limited) and one taking 74 mins (all stops), so might only need 4 of them, with a future look at running straight from helensburgh and/or milngavie.

Anyways a few more pics....

Milngavie Station with 10.57 to High St (left) and 10.42 to Lanark (right)

320 Heading to Drumgelloch at Craigendoran (12.55 From Helensburgh)

Oban service heading back to Queen St (taken beside the track near Craigendoran station.

Heading back to Dalmuir from Balloch in the dark.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Tobe!

Those shots of Craigendorran bring back memories - spent every single school luchtime at the sea wall near where your pic was taken. Used to be a level crossing beside the signal box about 400 yds South (ie - towards Glasgow), which we'd use, although I think it's now gone. Craigendorran used to have very extensive sidings which ran from the signal box area for about 3/4 mile up the line towards Ardmore, but on the East side. These dated back to WW2 and tied in with wartime traffic to Faslane via Faslane Junction and transfer yard. Now a housing estate, alas. There also sed to be a turntable at the Southern end of the sidings (the pit was visible from the electrified lines until fairly recent years) and I believe that many of the AM3s - as they were known - were stored on those lines following the early teething troubles when a guard was killed by an exploding Beryllium rectifier or somesuch.

In more recent years the signal box also had a monitoring station to measure the effects of saltwater on OHLE. Up until the electrification to Largs I suppose the seawall section at Craigendorran was the most prone to waves and spray. Corrosion became even more critical when the cantilever equipment switched from copper to galvanised steel (Mark 2 and 3a/3b). Recent equipment (as used on the Larkhall extension) is made of aluminium and what with the move away from wire headspans back to portals must mean that current OHLE will be considerably more expensive than that of the late 6s, 70s and 80s.

I hope they do decide to run a through Helensburgh/Edinburgh service. I wouldn't be too surprised if this had been mooted at some time in the early 60s when the original electrification was erected to Airdrie. Just wish there'd been at least one 303 left to make that journey.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Only 303 left in operational use is at Bo'Ness, but its been converted to run as a diesel. As you said Craigendoran used to have 5 platforms back years ago...

Disused Platform at Craigendoran

First attempt at motion - 320 thru bowling heading to Drumgelloch (22.10 ex Helensburgh)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Without sounding too much of a sad geek, would a day out doing station photography be of interest to anyone?

Could select older style stations and photograph the architecture. If we stayed withing the SPT area the cost would be £5 for an all day ticket.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:01 pm

I have never been up for a nosey but, halfway along the tunnel in craigendoran station (the walkway out of the station, not a mysterious tunnel that a train goes through), there is a set of stairs that have been partially blocked off, (but I'm sure some fit person could probable manage to get over the 6 ft wall), they probably used to go up to a platform for the highland line. I have no idea if there is anything at all left up there, but thought I would mention it in case anyone was interested in having a look next time they are taking photos at craigendoran station. Note: trains do still run on that line quite frequently and there is a cctv camera that may be pointing in that direction. It is not really of interest to me but it might be to one of you train people (sorry, I don't want to call you train spotters, but do not know what you call yourselves)
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 pm

tobester wrote:Without sounding too much of a sad geek, would a day out doing station photography be of interest to anyone?

Could select older style stations and photograph the architecture. If we stayed withing the SPT area the cost would be £5 for an all day ticket.

I could be up for that - perhaps partake of a wee refreshment at some point
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Station Pub at Bowling is good for drink and food, ill see what sort of reply we get, and if plenty ill put one up for a weekend
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Mr T.

I would be delighted to indulge in a spot of station-gricing, finances and time permitting. Underline me in your Combined Volume (in pencil).
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)