One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:35 pm

I didn't say that it can only work with 27001 though, did I??

It should be able to work with anything that has blue star coupling.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:11 pm

never seen the 303 at bo'ness, i need to get up more next year and relive those days of bouncyness
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Speedbird wrote:I didn't say that it can only work with 27001 though, did I??

sorry mate

the 303 is okay, needs a fair bit of bodywork doing but mechanically and internally it is okay

main push atm is finishing the ayrshire 3 car 126 DMBS 51043 and TCK 59404 are almost finished with just the interior to do on DMS 51017, both powercars have 4 overhauled engines, rewired, re-plumbed for air and bogies overhauled. nen a long job but she is gorgeous
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:17 pm

aland wrote:Also saw that paisley canal to elderslie will be re-opened and double tracked. Good move IMO as the thing should never have closed in 83/84. Fact is with the amount of freight and passenger traffic even with the bi-line going sheilds jnc to arkleston jnc there is nowere near the capacity on that bit

I saw that too - read it in someone's paper in the pub the other week but it was thin on detail (it was the Daily R***** so that's to be expected). I've become interested in the old Kilmacolm line as I was really surprised it survived until January '83. I'm surprised that they're planning on re-opening the line from Canal Street to Elderslie as I remember reading somewhere that the route of the line between Canal Street and Elderslie was built upon with indecent haste following its closure and a quick look on liveearth would seem to back this up (although I may well be wrong!). I'm all for the re-opening but what's the point of only going as far as Elderslie (given the proximity of Elderslie to Johnstone station, which offers a quicker service to Central than the Canal Street line)? Perhaps it would be the first stage in re-opening the line all the way to Kilmacolm but then that would mean losing the cycle path that runs all the way to Gourock. I was on that a couple of weeks back tracking down the site of the old Houston (and Crosslee) station, which was bizarrely situated in the middle of nowhere (in its last days it was simply called Houston and that would appear to be misleading as it's a good bit outside Houston - I would have thought calling in Brookfield would have been more accurate).
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Yes, the '126 looked gorgeous the last time I saw her.

I traveled on it before it was done up and then only the one coach had seating!

Seem to remember the other driving coach has a hole in the floor so you could see the track go by underneath.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:38 pm

canal to elderslie is built on in a few places, canal itself with that pub and there is houses at elderslie. basically it is needed for line capacity
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Speedbird wrote:Yes, the '126 looked gorgeous the last time I saw her.

I traveled on it before it was done up and then only the one coach had seating!

Seem to remember the other driving coach has a hole in the floor so you could see the track go by underneath.

if that was 96/97 when we ran as a 2 car set then 17 had quite a few holes but all now sorted new flooring throughout, new formica. the lot everything to 1959 spec apart from the insulation (was asbestos now 100% clean) it has been a long haul but she will be okay for another 50 years now, all coaches have extensive re plating of bodysides the list is endless
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 pm

tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Excellent pics from Ewan Crawford, Mr T.

I certainly miss the old Blue Trains: quite possibly the most handsome units (in original Caley livery with the wrap-around windows) ever to grace British Rails. I saw them all (AM3s and AM11s) and photo'd many of them over the years. The most elusive of all were 071 (which had been fitted with non-standard Dean Doorgear not dissimilar to that used on modern units) and 035 which had been a testbed for silicon rectifiers - or was it thyristors? - which meant it languished in a siding in Glasgow Works for many years.

Here's 048 at Airdrie circa 1973

MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:01 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:The most elusive of all were 071 (which had been fitted with non-standard Dean Doorgear not dissimilar to that used on modern units) and 035 which had been a testbed for silicon rectifiers - or was it thyristors? - which meant it languished in a siding in Glasgow Works for many years.

It was the other way about MOTI - 071 had the silicon rectifiers, and 035 was the plug door test bed. 303035 was designated sub-class 303/2 and fitted with with Dean doorgear until 1971, I have an unconfirmed source that mentions another experimental "Peters" style doorgear. This type of door was originally to be applied to 50 or 60 units, but the plan was abandoned because of manufacturing difficulties. These doors were flush with the coach body when closed, and when opened moved outward and slid along the coach exterior; in service the equipment suffered a failure rate 150 per cent worse than that of the standard door gear on the other units.Here is a rare photograph
Image.
The slots in the bodyside next to the doors highlight the differences. It then became the test bed for Thyristor control with oil cooled rectifiers from 1971 - 1981 and was designated 303/4. Unit No.091 was originally earmarked to be fitted with thyristor equipment eventually fitted to 035.
303071 was designated 303/3 and was fitted with silicon rectifiers and oil cooled fans, this was a success and eventually all mercury arc rectifiers were gradually replaced with silicon rectifiers, but of smaller dimensions than those fitted in No. 071. Sadly this unit was involved in the fatal head on collision (with 303005) at Bellgrove on the 6th March 1989.

Full story - http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/303tributepage4.htm

P.S. As you might expect - I was on the last run!!!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:14 pm

For those who are interested in strange facts...Today is the 5th anniversary of the running of the last ever 303s - a sad say for these trains but a good servant, shame the replacement 334s are sooooooo crap to work.

Just pointed out to me on another forum - it is six years ago today.

http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/unused_files/videos/20081230-165934.MPG

Enjoy...
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:57 pm

never noticed my error bugger. ::):

Call myself a train spotter!!!!!
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Was informed that all the 170 units will all be getting rebranded with Railway Scotland Logo this will also include all the Strathclyde units which have no 1st class. The 170 suburbans 450-460 will be going through a conversion to get 1st class installed this way they can utilise more trains for the busy E & G line without having to buy more trains. Wee bit pisssed off though I ant getting my new office.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Caught this one running through Bowling on its way to Drumgelloch.

tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:09 pm

It was the other way about MOTI - 071 had the silicon rectifiers, and 035 was the plug door test bed. 303035 was designated sub-class 303/2 and fitted with with Dean doorgear until 1971,

Alicydon! Sorry - just noticed this. Thanks for the info. I thought I remembered the Combined Volumes of the time as listing 035 with the rectifiers and 071 as the doorgear, but my memory's probably going the same way as the Blue Trains by the looks of things.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)