One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby tobester » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 am

Looking at best day outwith midweek is a sat as trains are restricted on a sun. Id contact one of my RTMs to see who id contact for clearance, altho at central/queen st we need passes, but not a major issue.

So far 3 replies and 1 possible. pm me with any dates u fancy, im available 29/30 nov (altho thats free weekend at national trust), 7-14 dec with maybe the week in-between.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:45 pm

Weekdays are out for me - but certainly free every weekend from the 29th November onward
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:39 pm

Gonna stick it over in the Whats On Forum.

13th Dec, can start earlyish do a whole day...ill put the 2 ticket type prices on the thread.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Put it up on the whats on sub-forum - 13/12 meeting 9.30 at central station, gordon st entrance

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7961
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Was bored at Milngavie Station this morning, arrived at 0620, train wasnt due in till 0630, departing 0642 to Motherwell (via Blantyre)

Was also bored and tried to think up a way of presenting this over on flickr, heres what i came up with (cheesier than the cheese counter at morrisons ::):)

It was a cold n dark november day, when i took this pic at miln-gav-ai-ay

(to the tune of angel of harlem by u2 - try it)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:30 pm

London to Glasgow in 5 minutes :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7784179.stm
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:12 am

Sorry if I appear cynical about this latest "improvement" being released to great fanfare, but I wonder how long it will last. There is almost a cyclical pattern to WCML timings, there is a big improvement, then journey times are increased, then another big project causes engineering delays before the times are improved again.
In the early 1970s there was a brief improvement to provide a service from Glasgow to London in 6 hours flat, this didn't last, as prepartions for the electrification meant that journey times were substantially increased, before the 1974 "Electric Scots", brought the journey time down to 5 hours for selected services. This again did not last, as the need to include more stops meant the the average train took nearer 5.5 hours, then came Pendilino and the cycle continues. I suspect that this will be slackened off again, as complaints are already being voiced about the stopping pattern of the trains, and additional stops may well be introduced to meet market forces. Also the vast majority of the investment has been in the southern section of the line, how long will it be before we need emergency engineering work on the northern half to catch up with maintenance arrears.

ALY
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 am

stops sdre being removed to meet market forces. Two weeks ago I travelled to London and the train stopped at Carlisle and Preston. There have been fewer London trains running and Lockerbie must be down to two per day.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 pm

tobester wrote:
Was also bored and tried to think up a way of presenting this over on flickr, heres what i came up with (cheesier than the cheese counter at morrisons ::):)

(to the tune of angel of harlem by u2 - try it)

or to the tune of william topaz mcgonagall :D
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 pm

[/quote]

or to the tune of william topaz mcgonagall :D[/quote]

and down went the train, coaches and all into the silvr'y Tay
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:33 pm

interesting to hear that ayrshire will be getting the new stuff again, so we can look forward to a load of breakdowns like when the 334's were introduced or will the new stuff come working and testing. From the gen I have had it is only certain stations that will be able to take 8 car sets like Johnstone, Kilwinning, Irvine, Troon, Prestwick and A*r. Also saw that paisley canal to elderslie will be re-opened and double tracked. Good move IMO as the thing should never have closed in 83/84. Fact is with the amount of freight and passenger traffic even with the bi-line going sheilds jnc to arkleston jnc there is nowere near the capacity on that bit

not too sure about the scotrail livery (paint veg moment) carmine and cream suited the strathclyde fleet plus it was supposed to be a throwback to the original BR livery from '56 which if kept clean looked nice and IMO the fleet has weathered it well
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 am

The new Scotrail livery is a reward for the Nats granting the contract to First.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:24 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Gap!

I'm hoping she does the wonderful Invergarry-Fort Augustus at some time - I'll gladly help her over the styles. Whichever way I'l certainly be buying the DVD of her railway walks when it comes out.

Well, if you do, tell her that before she makes a T.V. programme, that she find out how to actually pronounce the place names correctly!

I have seen a few of them, and quite frankly, she is atrocious!!

Doug - not impressed.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:31 pm

tobester wrote:Only 303 left in operational use is at Bo'Ness, but its been converted to run as a diesel.

:?: :?:

No, technically it is still an electric. It has been fitted with blue star coupling and can work in a push/pull arrangement with 27001.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Speedbird wrote:
tobester wrote:Only 303 left in operational use is at Bo'Ness, but its been converted to run as a diesel.

:?: :?:

No, technically it is still an electric. It has been fitted with blue star coupling and can work in a push/pull arrangement with 27001.

you are wrong there any of the Bo'ness fleet can work with it, it has only been 27001 that has done so
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)