One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby gap74 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:55 pm

I completely understand the reasoning behind the choice of Hadid and the lure and gravitas a building with such a name behind it would bring to the city. But perhaps it would have been better to have had her do a smaller building with ancillary functions and a larger, functional exhibition hall alongside.

I actually only visited it for the first time quite recently. It just seems compromised and value-engineered in so many ways. I realise it's not actually called a transport museum any more, but it is still its main function, and think that should have been more of a priority than the architectural aspect.

Then again, what do I know - I still think the city was too hasty in filling in almost all of its former docks, and that they could have been made much more of a feature of the regeneration of the areas around them, much like those in Liverpool and the east end of London.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 am

gap74 wrote:I completely understand the reasoning behind the choice of Hadid and the lure and gravitas a building with such a name behind it would bring to the city. But perhaps it would have been better to have had her do a smaller building with ancillary functions and a larger, functional exhibition hall alongside.

I actually only visited it for the first time quite recently. It just seems compromised and value-engineered in so many ways. I realise it's not actually called a transport museum any more, but it is still its main function, and think that should have been more of a priority than the architectural aspect.

Then again, what do I know - I still think the city was too hasty in filling in almost all of its former docks, and that they could have been made much more of a feature of the regeneration of the areas around them, much like those in Liverpool and the east end of London.

Liverpool docks photographed in 2010

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 942204214/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 am

Gap I thought I was the only one who thought that, I agree with everything you said.

The "iconic" building drawing people to a city I think is an extremely dubious concept at best, although obviously not on the planet City Chambers. The only place I can think of where it had a major impact is Bilbao.

I was extremely disappointed with the transport museum, sorry Riverside, planet City Chambers using the lessons learned from Windscale. I don't think from most ground views it's a particularly pretty building either; looks to me like a shed from most of the angles with exception of the front and that doesn't do much for me either. Sure some of the aerial views make it appear special, but not so many people visit Glasgow by helicopter.

I think internally it's a disgrace cars and motorcycles you can't view properly and the ships on that conveyor belt is a disgrace. I preferred the ship room when it was in the Kelvin Hall.

Mind what do you expect for £75 million :roll:

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 am

I have said before that the new museum completely fails in its remit as a place to display transport.

I am also confused that we were told the climate couldnt be controled in the kelvin hall and things were being damaged but I have it on good authority that rust has started to develop on the tram. Puting them next to the river seems like a poor way to control the climate?

In my opinion they should have protected the warehouses that ran up to Yorkhill quay and renovated them to use as the museum. Thew would then have indoor space, a quay for maritime displays and a network of rails in the road outside for visiting railway attractions.

The new museum just makes me angry so Im going to step away from the keyboard now before I wright the essay.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Agree with above post. Will it flood as dredging has been reduced?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Appallingly stupid the cars are all unviewable. What is the point?
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aland » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 pm

dont get me started on riverside, what a blooming waste of money, spend half that on a building and the rest on building a live steam railway, you could restore near as dammit every kettle in scotland and build the blooming railway. blooming 'eck Bo'ness have built a 5 mile line with more covered and heated sheds for a fraction of riverside. Plus the state of what is in riverside is a joke. as for summerlee and the 311 all you can call that is blooming vandalism

muppets at glesga city clowncil that is all I can say GRRRR
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm

I visited the Riverside Transport Museum for the first time last week. I was not impressed by it. There seems to have been a lot of money spent on reclaiming the ground, the foundations and the building envelope, but little thought to internal layout of the building.

For me it just does not work as a Public building with large visitor numbers. The circulation spaces are very tight with people squeezing to get past each other and the exhibits are all crammed together or displayed in areas which are difficult to view.

Personally I don't think the building generally has been well designed or thought out at all. I don't think the Pistachio green colour throughout does the exhibits any favours either.

I noticed that the polished Ground Floor Slab of the Riverside Museum was well cracked - more than you would expect for normal shrinkage / drying out cracking, and the pedestrian link bridge at the first floor has some serious bouncing going on when people cross it. I wonder if we will have another Science Centre Tower or Squinty Bridge situation ongoing soon i.e. a closure for repairs not long after opening?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Socceroo wrote:
I don't think the Pistachio green colour throughout does the exhibits any favours either.

I believe the colour is "Institution green". Possibly the designer got the idea from their time locked up?
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Got to agree with the views that the new museum is very poor as a museum. There's something of the cardboard cutout about the way the exhibits are displayed (for me at least) and the green is oppressive. And unique buildings are commonplace.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 pm

How can this deteriorate more in a museum than t ever did on mainline service? And I thought BR were inept! :x

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/ ... p?id=29597
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Godsgift wrote:How can this deteriorate more in a museum than t ever did on mainline service? And I thought BR were inept! :x

and its papped right away from everything else
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby cell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Fossil wrote:
Godsgift wrote:How can this deteriorate more in a museum than t ever did on mainline service? And I thought BR were inept! :x

and its papped right away from everything else

and its missing a carriage!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm

NFF!

If theres any other railway workers on here then this will be understood,if not means No Fault Found....a joke linked to the defect books
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm

tobester wrote:

NFF!

If theres any other railway workers on here then this will be understood,if not means No Fault Found....a joke linked to the defect books

I take it you're referring to the missing carriage...... probably the one with the pantograph! :x
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)