One for the railway heads

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: One for the railway heads

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Sorry MK

A2B is Aridrie to Bathgate extension.
PID is Passenger information Display - the ticker and audio system you see on the other trains to announce stations destinations etc.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:47 pm

That'll be good as the customer information is non existent on these trains, unless you are a bat and can decipher the high pitch whine from the speakers ::):

Ta macca, i had a hot air heater system in here so i think the cupboard surrounding it is riddled with white asbestos (kinda looks like plasterboard but just that wee bit different).
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:54 pm

StevenJ wrote:And it is this rail vehicle asbestos which led to some of the old DMU vehicles being incinerated in a special oven, located in Snailwell I think.

There is also a class 27? Or some locomotive burried somewhere in Lanarkshire and the only reason I can imagine that happened was because of asbestos.

yep mayer parry at snailwell, all the class 126 vehicles ended up getting baked in the oven as it was far cheaper to torch them that way and recover what metal was left than the jim mcwilliam way of remove the panels and assy and cut the bodies after selling spares to preservationists

the class 27 along with a class 116 dmu car, a railbus and i think a couple of mark 1 sleeper coaches are buried somewhere at paterson's tip at mount vernon, they were basically put in big polythene bags and buried under thousands of tons of landfill, the loco wasnt complete it had been badly fire damaged and the power unit and bogies had been removed prior to burying

btw MK do you look like your avatar :P :P :P
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm

tobester wrote:Sorry MK

A2B is Aridrie to Bathgate extension.
PID is Passenger information Display - the ticker and audio system you see on the other trains to announce stations destinations etc.

Thanks.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:41 pm

re: asbestos

mayer's was one, i'm sure there was another famous one

basically, an enclosed 'tunnel' where the stock was 'fired', i.e. burnt tae fck to destroy/release all non-metal content
the resulting stock was then drenched with water jets (a sort of rinse cycle), the water collected in tanks under the tracks - any asbestos fibres etc. would settle to the bottom

the train pushed out the other end would be rather buckled, next stop, the man with the cutting torch
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jonno22 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi all. I have uploaded all of the photographs I had taken between the years 2007 and
2008 showing the many different types of British diesel and electric freight and
locomotives, some of which are for passenger train services (Class 43 H.S.T. (High
Speed Train)), as well as D.V.T. (Driving Van Trailer), M.P.V. (Multi Purpose
Vehicle) and Network Rail test and infrastructure trains. The gallery contains 269
photographs and these can be found (as well as full information) in the link below:

2007 / 2008 Britains Railway Diesel & Electric Locomotives, Driving Van Trailer
(D.V.T.), Multi Purpose Vehicle (M.P.V.) & Network Rail Test & Infrastructure Train
Photographs:
http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/c1728206.html

Previews:

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk

Railway and Freelance Photographer

www.jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:58 pm

My Kitten wrote: would be nice to see a member of staff (wee bit deleted as this was the highlight) maybe use a shower...

Gonna say this is two way too MK, maybe some of the smelly rancid off peak travellers may want to buy soap too, as well as the usually drugs and super lager/bukkie ::):

Got 3 guys on a train on sat at clydeskank...sorry clydebank, one stop to dalmuir...feck me i had to open all the windows in the coach at dalmuir...and that was just one of the passengers...funnily enough he had a 40p muppet pass, other two were all apologetic for the piss heads behaviour.

On the flip side had a nice couple on the 2223 to springburn, makes a change ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:15 pm

tobester wrote:
My Kitten wrote: would be nice to see a member of staff (wee bit deleted as this was the highlight) maybe use a shower...

Gonna say this is two way too MK, maybe some of the smelly rancid off peak travellers may want to buy soap too, as well as the usually drugs and super lager/bukkie ::):

Got 3 guys on a train on sat at clydeskank...sorry clydebank, one stop to dalmuir...feck me i had to open all the windows in the coach at dalmuir...and that was just one of the passengers...funnily enough he had a 40p muppet pass, other two were all apologetic for the piss heads behaviour.

On the flip side had a nice couple on the 2223 to springburn, makes a change ::):

What's a muppet pass??
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:58 pm

peter wrote:What's a muppet pass??

You're not the only one with a turn of unfortunate phrase but have a look in your wallet.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Two shots from the last seven days...

First is the old bridge over the platforms at Dalmuir last sat (18th) on its last day of service.

AND 6 days on....

At present the lifts arent in service as theyre still under construction, but i will be writing to the MD to request climbing gear and oxygen maskes at the top of each stairs...god its a climb ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:50 pm

tobester wrote: ................

At present the lifts arent in service as theyre still under construction, but i will be writing to the MD to request climbing gear and oxygen maskes at the top of each stairs...god its a climb ::):

What do wheelchair users do in the meantime?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Same as its been for the last god knows how long, they have access to platforms 2 and 3 for now.

As per the DDA all stations that can be converted for wheelchair access must be.

Sadly this allows chav scum and their many chav weans to get access too :(
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm

tobester wrote: Same as its been for the last god knows how long, they have access to platforms 2 and 3 for now.

As per the DDA all stations that can be converted for wheelchair access must be.

Does that mean wheelchair users can only travel to certain destinations? Any notion how many stations can't be converted for wheelchair access?

tobester wrote: Sadly this allows chav scum and their many chav weans to get access too :(

Ah well. It ain't all good news, is it.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Sadly it does, but since i started ive noticed quite a few have had wheelchair access put in, i.e. duke st, parade, i suppose its down to TS getting land beside the stations.

As ive said to people who comment on it, these stations were mostly built in the days when, if you werent 'normal' you werent to be seen AND if you had a child you stayed at home like the good little housewife they should be.

Stations like hyndland will be a major task to convert.

Easterhouse is strange you have access glasgow bound but at present not airdrie bound
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:54 pm

tobester wrote: ..............

Easterhouse is strange you have access glasgow bound but at present not airdrie bound

Why would anyone who's unfortunate enough to be in a wheelchair and living in Easterhouse want to go to Airdrie? Isn't their life bad enough?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)