Weirs Way dvd's

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:46 pm

You'd be thinking of Jimmy McGregor, better known as a singer/musician, but I couln't dig up anything meaningful about his time on TV, just that he made appearances.

I agree that far too many programme makers are driven by the analysis of the audience, and lose sight of the aim and target audience their programme should be intended for, and concentrate too much on targeting the 'top percentiles'. A case of wanting a small slice of a large cake, rather than a large slice of a smaller cake. There are many programmes now, particularly on the BBC, where they are painfully evident as having been assembled to a formula, rather by anyone with a heart, or some passion for their work.

All is not lost however, and 'Iomall nan Tonn' or 'The Edge of the Waves' which was shown on ITV, and contains some truly superb aerial camera-work of Scotland, is a welcome exception to the rule.

One's boredom is another's passion.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:27 pm

Quite, Apollo... Always seemed to get the impression that he'd been 'placed' there and his whining voice 'really' saying "What you can't see is that out of shot, there are two Range Rovers that brought us here"

Tom Weir had the passion for such things, even if the Chewin' the Fat guys took the p... :)
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Does anyone remember 'Two's Country' on TLC (later Discovery H&L), it was first aired about 10 years ago ?
It was a low budget show, just a presenter (Tim Grundy), and a cameraman, going around the UK visiting historical sites and events, I loved it :)
The following 2 series got very silly though :roll:
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:41 am

Tom Weir has inspired me to take passion in what is around us....I feel a kind of warmth when I take to the hills, makes me turn to past memories that have made me happy in life....I can't really explain it, but after reading several of his books, made me realise the empathy and love that he has without involving money/material possessions. Would love to meet him, to say thanks!..have became an avid reader due to him....hated books at school level.

Also, why has he not been given an OBE/MBE by the Queen...he has not had any recognition! Do people not nominate OBE/MBE's??
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)