Shettleston Baths in skips

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Shettleston Baths in skips

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Raised a few times in queries here, Shettleston Baths are no more.

I was walking home tonight, and had all but walked past the spot in the dark, as it's set back from the main road, when some lights caught the security fencing around the site, and I realised the familiar profile was missing from the 'skyline'.

The west is gone, only a hole in the ground remains, and most of the central area has been cleared, with the chimmney standing alone in the middle of area. That's a reasonable size on its own, and will be interesting to see how they bring it down. Top down I'd imagine, as a Dibnah job doesn't really have anywhere to go.

I tried grabbing some shots, but no ambient light and no handy support meant no joy in the dark, so if anyone else is handy...
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:57 pm

Still dull, all these pics have camera shake, hence the small composite, but better than nothing while there's still something left:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:08 am

Thats rather sad.... I use to go there often when I lived in Tollcross

It was a dump and the pool wasnt always heated... but it was better than anything else
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:54 am

Shettleston baths are no more. After a short break over Christmas, the chimmney was removed brick by brick, so no Dibnah moment.

The entire building was reduced to fine rubble after being passed through a crusher that they brought onto the site before Christmas. The heaps stuff you can see down the centre of the pics are all that remains of the building (yes, the white stuff's snow).

Presumably the whole area will turn into flats, as they've also ripped up all the tarmac from the car park where the portacabin can be seen planted in one pic.

If you can access SCRAN, there's a short video of the baths when they were in use, starting from Glasgow's coat of arms that adorned the doorway and moving inside to show the pool.

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:19 pm

My dining room table came from the former Shettleston Library. Seems like I've missed the chance to turn a changing cubicle from the baths into a shower or something.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Here comes the 'suberb development'. What happened to 'luxury'? Doesn't the location deserve it?

I suppose the Glasgow crest that appeared over the front door of the baths was reduced to rubble along with the rest of the building.

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:20 pm

That chimney should have come down Dibnah style ::):
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)