Derelict House, Ibrox

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ramor69 » Sat May 20, 2006 2:25 pm

When I was a kid, I seem to remember the house nearest Shieldhall Road belonged to a Dr. Dagg, who had a practice in Govan.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed May 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Socceroo wrote:Timchilli, when you were taking photo's of the derelict houses at Craigton Road did you take any photo's in the back gardens?

I was driving past yesterday and i spied some remaining small structures grouped together and now visible against the back boundary fence of the property.

They might just be bin sheds etc but i think one of them might be an old surface Air Raid Shelter. I'll have a closer look the next time i am passing.

I didn't venture into the garden properly as it was in a bog-like condition at the time. However, I did take some shots of the back garden from my vantage point in the kitchen of one of the houses. I'll check my old computer for the appropriate photos and post them here as soon as possible.

Cheers

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:25 am

»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Satellite shot of the two houses shortly before their demolition, courtesy of Microsoft Virtual earth:

Tim

Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:12 pm

Hello Tim: great pictures! I knew these houses very well. I pushed my milk cart up there all the way from the Co-op dairy at the Govan Library delivering milk. At this time these houses were very elegant and probably rated with the finest houses in Govan (the houses were in Govan). Dr. Dagg did live in one of them; can't recall which one, and I'm not sure whether he was a dentist or a medical doctor. If he was a dentist (and likely he was) he had his office on Crossloan Rd. between Elderpark St. and Greenfield St.

Despite being right beside the Cleansing Dept. (called the 'Destructer'), there were more than two of those 'substantial properties' here... I'd guess about four. They were handy for transporttaion: the Craigton tram-cars use to turn at the top of the bridge over the railway (now the motorway), then the line was extended to the top of Jura St. for the Empire Exhibition. For a long time there was a vast area of vacant land behind these houses on the north side of the Destructer, and known locally as the "Hillies"; I notice your aerial photo shows there is still a tract of vacant land here. By the way, I'm talking of the time before Edmiston Drive was extended westward from Helen St.

Interesting stuff Tim. Cheers, Dugald.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Dugald wrote:Hello Tim: great pictures! I knew these houses very well. I pushed my milk cart up there all the way from the Co-op dairy at the Govan Library delivering milk. At this time these houses were very elegant and probably rated with the finest houses in Govan (the houses were in Govan). Dr. Dagg did live in one of them; can't recall which one, and I'm not sure whether he was a dentist or a medical doctor. If he was a dentist (and likely he was) he had his office on Crossloan Rd. between Elderpark St. and Greenfield St.

Despite being right beside the Cleansing Dept. (called the 'Destructer'), there were more than two of those 'substantial properties' here... I'd guess about four. They were handy for transporttaion: the Craigton tram-cars use to turn at the top of the bridge over the railway (now the motorway), then the line was extended to the top of Jura St. for the Empire Exhibition. For a long time there was a vast area of vacant land behind these houses on the north side of the Destructer, and known locally as the "Hillies"; I notice your aerial photo shows there is still a tract of vacant land here. By the way, I'm talking of the time before Edmiston Drive was extended westward from Helen St.

Interesting stuff Tim. Cheers, Dugald.

I thought the area of land behind the houses used to be
allotments, I'm sure I've seen them in some VM photos,
(possibly during the war years). Dr. Dagg was a medical
doctor, I remember him as our family doc. You're correct
about the location of his practise. Dr. Devine took over
from him when he retired, then moved into the Govan
Health Centre. Also the 65 bus used to turn at the top of
Craigton Rd. before heading to Riddrie.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:14 pm

Dugald wrote:Despite being right beside the Cleansing Dept. (called the 'Destructer'), there were more than two of those 'substantial properties' here...

Hi, Dugald. Thanks for the info!

I found this 1934 photo of the Drumoyne area taken from the Destructor you mentioned. I've circled the two houses featured in this thread - what happened to the other houses here? Also, are those allotments to the right?

Here's a 1912 map of Drumoyne, showing the location of the Destructor:

Tim

Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 pm

In this photo, there are some other buildings behind
the houses. Look like some sort of farm buildings.

http://tinyurl.com/yxcyg6
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm

[quote="ramor69

I thought the area of land behind the houses used to be
allotments, I'm sure I've seen them in some VM photos,
(possibly during the war years). Dr. Dagg was a medical
doctor, I remember him as our family doc. You're correct
about the location of his practise. Dr. Devine took over
from him when he retired, then moved into the Govan
Health Centre. Also the 65 bus used to turn at the top of
Craigton Rd. before heading to Riddrie.[/quote]

Hello Ramor: thanks for the info re Dr. Daggs. I wonder if there was a dentist who had his office beside Dr Daggs on Crossloan Rd. Yes, during the war years there were allotments on the vacant land on the north side of the Distructer (the 'Hillies') behind the Daggs' house. The #65 Bus must have been after my Govan days; I only remember the tramcars and the trolley coaches going up to top of Jura St. Cheers, Dugald.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:37 am

Hello, Tim. you say:

" I found this 1934 photo of the Drumoyne area taken from the Destructor you mentioned. I've circled the two houses featured in this thread - what happened to the other houses here? Also, are those allotments to the right?"

Tim, I completely missed seeing this 1934 picture you posted of the Craigton Rd. area and the 1912 map of Drumoyne. It took me a while to get myself sorted out as to what I was looking at. Yes, those are the 'allotments' to the right, the vacant land behind Dagg's house. I think the photo was taken from this 'allotment' area. The camera was pointed north on Craigton Rd., or as we would have said, "down" Craigton Rd. towards the Clyde.

I said on my earlier post:

"Despite being right beside the Cleansing Dept. (called the 'Destructer'), ."there were more than two of those 'substantial properties' here... I'd guess about four"

I'd say my guess was wrong. From the picture there is clearly only one house immediately south of the two houses circled, making three, unless there were some other houses further south on Craigton Rd. From the picture, I'm not at all certain about this.

You know, I don't recall all these shacks on the 'allotment' property at all, and this was back in 1934, long before the war started, which I assumed was the reason you recalled there being allotments there. This area east of Craigton Rd. certainly has the appearance of allotments.

A great picture and map Tim; I found them very interesting! You must have thought it very strange that I failed to comment on them in my last post...sorry about that. Cheers, dugald,
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:51 am

Hello Ramora. i had a look at your aerial photo and I can just about make out the third of the three houses in Tim's photo, the one furthest south. Well, i think i can, but I'm not too sure. When was the picture taken? Where's the Bens' football park? I can see the centre lines for a football pitch but that's all. Ach, I'm lost here; don't know if there is a motorway there or a railway line, and I can't see any trains or cars!
Cheers, dugald,
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)