Reds in the Square !

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:20 am

Perchance, a certain connection with a Bud Neil character in this thread??? :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:35 pm

What was the occasion in Saint Andrews Hall?
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:57 pm

JayKay wrote:What was the occasion in Saint Andrews Hall?

I think it was probably a Red Army Ensemble Concert. There were quite a few such concerts from 1948 onwards. I'll check the Scotland - Russia Trust Archives and see if i can get any more info on it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:46 pm

Great piece Socceroo, really interesting.
I remember way back in 70's & early 80's my dad getting enamel Lenin pin bagdes from colleagues in the Railway who went every year to Russia for Burns do's.
My Grandad said the Russkies liked the Scotsman and his "ethics" and could relate to Burns' work and what he stood for.
Still they wouldnae have had a second thought if it came to lobbing a 1kilo ton nuke at the Holy Loch should ever the need have arisen.
Solidarnosk.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm

escotregen wrote:Socceroo, on the exciting development plans you have with the Scotland - Russia Trust. As a WW2 buff I wondered if have you established any links with the WW2 Russian Convoy Association people..................

I have finally got around to writing up the content for the Scotland - Russia Society / Trust website over this month. This week i came across a file simply marked "Veterans" - some of the letters in it would make a script for a Hollywood movie.

Anyway here is a wee bit about the brave veterans and the Scotland - USSR Society's involvement with them.

Convoy Veterans

Early in 1985 the then Scotland – USSR Society took it upon itself the task of finding veterans of the Second World War who had served on missions with our Soviet Allies.

More than 80 veterans wrote, some of them recalling their service on the “Murmansk Run”, the convoys which sailed from Scotland with supplies for the Soviet war effort. Others had met the Soviet Army in the final weeks of the war in Germany.

The veterans were invited to a wreath laying ceremony in George Square in Glasgow in April 1985 to mark the 40th Anniversary of the end of the Second World War. A group of Soviet veterans visited Glasgow and were in attendance at the ceremony on the invitation of the Scotland USSR Society and the city.

Soviet Delegation in George Square with Glasgow Lord Provost at Wreath Laying Ceremony - April 1985

The Scottish veterans were invited to a reception at the Soviet Embassy in London in May 1985. In Glasgow that month at the Scotland – USSR Society’s Belmont Crescent premises, six of the veterans were decorated by the Soviet Ambassador with medals.

In the September of 1985, the Scotland – Russia Society arranged the first visit to be made by an all Scottish group of veterans to Murmansk. They sailed 20 miles down the Kola Inlet where the convoys had once anchored, laid flowers at the Memorial of Men of All Nations and left mountain ash leaves on the graves of comrades left behind, including a 16 year old steward’s boy, James Anderson.

Scottish and Soviet veterans of the Murmansk Convoy operations at Murmansk in September 1985

One Scottish veteran who was widely featured on British and Soviet television at the time was William Short of Dunfermline. He had been rescued, badly frostbitten, after four days alone on a raft. Mr. Short was taken to a hospital in Murmansk where he had to have both legs amputated.

Waiting to welcome him on his return visit were Captain Sergei Antonovich and Commissar Ivan Boganenko of the trawler “General Radzievsky” which had picked him up from the Barents Sea. And with them were the doctor who treated him; the nurse who admitted him to the hospital and recalled thinking that he could never survive; and other staff who remembered saying goodbye as he left after six months care.

“I don’t remember much about the rescue” Mr. Short said, “But I do remember the tearful farewell when I left for home. Forty years later it was the same again.”
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:57 pm

Hows the mural going :?:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Socceroo smashing stuff that, real history with real people who helped ensure we would still be around to do this kind of posting.

You know how you like tangerines? :) Well I'm going off on one here; did any USSR merchant or navy personnel do a return wartime trip and stay here in Glasgow/Scotland. I doubt it, however if there were any such visitors I wonder if they were billeted with Scottish families? If so I'd bet there are some great memorires to be revived with these families.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 pm

escotregen wrote:Socceroo smashing stuff that, real history with real people who helped ensure we would still be around to do this kind of posting.

You know how you like tangerines? :) Well I'm going off on one here; did any USSR merchant or navy personnel do a return wartime trip and stay here in Glasgow/Scotland. I doubt it, however if there were any such visitors I wonder if they were billeted with Scottish families? If so I'd bet there are some great memorires to be revived with these families.

aye mine, loved it here so much they stayed :)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:09 pm

escotregen wrote:You know how you like tangerines? :) Well I'm going off on one here; did any USSR merchant or navy personnel do a return wartime trip and stay here in Glasgow/Scotland. I doubt it, however if there were any such visitors I wonder if they were billeted with Scottish families? If so I'd bet there are some great memories to be revived with these families.

I believe there were a few Russians during the war who actually settled in Glasgow and the West of Scotland. These guys were mainly Merchant Sailors who met locals girls and did not go back. A very tough decision for some of them as they could not return to see their Russian relations after the war for a very long time.

I actually met a couple of old Russian Sailors making a reunion visit to Glasgow at one of the Convoy Veterans events in the early nineties. They had come over regularly during the war on lend lease ships to pick up munitions etc from Greenock.

I don't think the Russians i met were billeted as such with families i recall them and the Scottish veterans talking about the quick turnarounds of their trips.

The Russian Consulate in Edinburgh in the early nineties was very interested in recognising the veterans of the Convoys from both countries, so he arranged for the group to visit.

What a night we had, what a hangover!

With regards to the mural in the new place Vlad, we have decided to get the content of the website completed and then pick some of the topics for the mural, i have a few kind offers from a few HG folks regards the brief for the mural and also possible artists which i'll take them up on.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:52 am

Socceroo wrote:I believe there were a few Russians during the war who actually settled in Glasgow and the West of Scotland. These guys were mainly Merchant Sailors who met locals girls and did not go back. A very tough decision for some of them as they could not return to see their Russian relations after the war for a very long time.

Without wishing to denigrate the predicament of those Russians I would say that there were a lot more Poles who found themselves in the same situation.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:33 pm

Long shot perhaps....i am currently pulling together the photos for the Scotland - Russia Trust website. Earlier in this thread i posted these two photographs below taken from the Car in the motorcade behind Kosygin's as he left Glasgow on his way to Kilmarnock.

Does anyone know where the bystanders are standing in each of the photographs?

I am not too sure about this one at all.

This one i don't know either but i am getting a feeling for Kilmarnock Road or thereabouts. Anyone....?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Could the top one be Fenwick?

The A77 went through the village in those days i think.
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks for that AMcD i know someone who stayed in Fenwick i'll see what they think.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:01 pm

I see the following:
From left to right....
Crusty's Mum, Crusty, Fossil, My Kitten, Simba, Socceroo, HH, the Triplets, Vlad, Sharon & Monument ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:07 pm

::):
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)