Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby JayKay » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:38 pm

I worked for Glasgow museums for a while. It was a temporary contract, and while I went on to work elsewhere, many of those who started with me managed to get full time work with the council working in the museums department.

It wasnt exactly a closed door recruitment policy. Most of those who started with me (around 20) were unemployed/underemployed graduates looking for a start in museums or other arts - related employment and none (to my knowledge) had ties to the cooncil. I certainly did not. Apparently there was a huge mumber of applicants - over 1,000 IIRC - for the 20 odd jobs, only three were full time. The jobs had been advertised externally, so it might have been tough for them to justify giving the work to the offspring of cooncilor McPockle or cooncilor McFiddle.

One issue is that staff turnover in the council (at least in the area I worked in) was actually quite slow. The council tended to actually look after its staff, which was a good thing in some ways, eg when the cleaning in the museums was put out for mandatory competitive tendering, rather than sacking all the cleaning staff they were retrained as "museum assistants" and the museum assistant job expanded to include cleaning duties. However, this also meant that there were staff with serious drink problems or basis literacy/numeracy issues who they could not shift.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Don't get carried away, chaps

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:46 pm

However, this also meant that there were staff with serious drink problems or basis literacy/numeracy issues who they could not shift.

And why would they want to shift them? There are only so many positions for would be councillors.

You know you could be describing students.

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/Database/businessupdate.html#not

And shouldn't that be "whom" they could not shift.

:wink:
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
I hate to be cruel Mori but I do hope you spell checked your application form.

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Some times disbled candidates are..................

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:07 am

AlanM wrote:It used to be that what school you went to had a bearing on the outcome of any job application (It's aledgedly not a coincidence that the corporation colours were green and gold)

Schiehallion wrote:Jobs for the boys, always has been, always will be. They can have all the fancy dan recruitment policies they want. If yer Da's pally with the cooncillor's brother then yer in.

As AlanM correctly hints at, once they actually fill a job the white smoke pours out over the Square!

My knowledge on the subject of religion and council jobs is zero, but Iam picking up from what you are both saying that you needed to be Roman Catholic to stand any chance of getting a job in the council??
I was always under the impression that (historically at least) finding work in general in Glasgow was difficult if you were Roman Catholic??
Can anyone clarify this for me?
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:53 am

Escotregen wrote:In Glasgow, in addition to the one-party political domination, we have the added dimension that the one-party domination originated in the city's real-politic agreement in the early 20th century. The city had a peculiar (unique?) understanding between the emergent progressive left-wing political party (the Labour Party) and a sizeable and discriminated-against religion/cultural grouping (the Irish Catholic interest). Their understanding was that in return for favours they would both co-operate to deliver the working class vote.
This was, over time, hugely successfull and made possible most of the subsequent 75 years of progressive politics in Glasgow. However, the very success of this understanding carried with it the seeds of decay and corruption. Eventually, not only political allegiance, but also religion and family and wider cliques, became ever-stronger entrenched power bases.

TOG wrote: "We find no evidence that Scots Catholics now suffer social, economic or political disabilities. We find no evidence of residential segregation or social avoidance. We find no evidence that Glaswegians go in fear of casual sectarian violence. We find very little evidence that Catholics are socially or politically distinctive." (Sectarianism in Scotland, Steve Bruce).
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:21 am

Socceroo wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:

I knew when I typed it there would be an error some where.

Did I follow my own advice? Did I ...
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:33 am

germistonguy wrote:
AlanM wrote:It used to be that what school you went to had a bearing on the outcome of any job application (It's aledgedly not a coincidence that the corporation colours were green and gold)

Schiehallion wrote:Jobs for the boys, always has been, always will be. They can have all the fancy dan recruitment policies they want. If yer Da's pally with the cooncillor's brother then yer in.

As AlanM correctly hints at, once they actually fill a job the white smoke pours out over the Square!

My knowledge on the subject of religion and council jobs is zero, but Iam picking up from what you are both saying that you needed to be Roman Catholic to stand any chance of getting a job in the council??
I was always under the impression that (historically at least) finding work in general in Glasgow was difficult if you were Roman Catholic??

I wasn't saying that you had to be RC I was just stating that there was a time when it helped and that although that time has now passed, the legacy of the 'jobs for the bhoys' culture remains.

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

jobs with glasgow city council

Postby hazy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:29 pm

When a left school in 78 it wiz all the dafties that ended up there honest.In fact a,ve know wiser people locked up than the people than work for Glasgow City council.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Exactamundo !
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:42 am

AlanM wrote:I wasn't saying that you had to be RC I was just stating that there was a time when it helped and that although that time has now passed, the legacy of the 'jobs for the bhoys' culture remains.

Alan

Spot the Protestant

1972-75 Sir William Gray
1975-77 Peter McCann
1977-80 David Hodge
1978-84 Michael Kelly
1984-88 Robert Gray
1988-92 Susan Baird
1992-94 Robert Innes
1994-95 James Shields
1995-96 Tommy Dingwall
1996-99 Pat Lally
1999-2002 Alex Mosson
2002 - present Liz Cameron
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:54 am

Roxburgh wrote:
AlanM wrote:I wasn't saying that you had to be RC I was just stating that there was a time when it helped and that although that time has now passed, the legacy of the 'jobs for the bhoys' culture remains.

Alan

Spot the Protestant

1972-75 Sir William Gray
1975-77 Peter McCann
1977-80 David Hodge
1978-84 Michael Kelly
1984-88 Robert Gray
1988-92 Susan Baird
1992-94 Robert Innes
1994-95 James Shields
1995-96 Tommy Dingwall
1996-99 Pat Lally
1999-2002 Alex Mosson

Is it the last one to get a knighthood?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Socceroo wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:

I knew when I typed it there would be an error some where.

Did I follow my own advice? Did I ...

::): ::): Hmmm i wonder if you did dexy :wink:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Roxburgh wrote:

Alan

Spot the Protestant

1972-75 Sir William Gray
1975-77 Peter McCann
1977-80 David Hodge
1978-84 Michael Kelly
1984-88 Robert Gray
1988-92 Susan Baird
1992-94 Robert Innes
1994-95 James Shields
1995-96 Tommy Dingwall
1996-99 Pat Lally
1999-2002 Alex Mosson

Is it the last one to get a knighthood?
All that suggests to me is that there is a high number of Catholics who vote Labour....
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:54 pm

AlanM wrote:
germistonguy wrote:

I wasn't saying that you had to be RC I was just stating that there was a time when it helped and that although that time has now passed, the legacy of the 'jobs for the bhoys' culture remains.

Alan

How relevant is the term 'bhoys' to this discussion. The term 'bhoy' conjures up images of Celtic supporting Irishmen/Scottish-'plastic paddys' who are likely to be RC. Would it not be better to omit the term 'jobs for the bhoys', or does the supposed 'nepotism' involve more than religion.
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Uncomfortable topic for some.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:44 am

Naw the use of the term "Bhoys" is deemed to be funnier and less abusive than "Tims" "Taigs" or "Fenians". The phrase is borrowed from WOSIC's who use it to describe themselves.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)