Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Jobs with Glasgow City Council

Postby well skelpt coupon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Funnily enough I heard another Tory bastard saying the same thing just the other day.

Tory bastard or not, maybe you can explain why the government sets one minimum level of pay and the imperial court of GCC sets its own.

Yeah, everybody's equal comrade - obviously some are more equal than others.

Regards
well skelpt coupon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

well skelpt coupon wrote:Howdy,

National minimum wage - £5.73 per hour. Proposed GCC minimum wage - £7.00 per hour. An artificially high pay rate won't shaft the taxpayers?

Regards

One is a decent wage, one is a minimum wage, the minimum wage is for Tories who have no sense of shame about paying someone £5.73 for a crappy job, what is wrong with the ideal that people should be paid a decent wage? Yeah screw the little guy, pay less council tax and line your pockets so you can buy something else that you don't need!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:43 pm

cell wrote:One is a decent wage, one is a minimum wage, the minimum wage is for Tories who have no sense of shame about paying someone £5.73 for a crappy job, what is wrong with the ideal that people should be paid a decent wage? Yeah screw the little guy, pay less council tax and line your pockets so you can buy something else that you don't need!

You aren't implying the NMW has anything to do with the Tories are you?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:52 pm

I just spat my bovril out laughing. ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Didn't know where to to put this but is this survey just no takin the piss to a new level...from the department of twidling thumbs. ::):

A consultation on consulatations.

Corporate/ConsultationResearch

Consultation Research

Glasgow City Council is currently carrying out research into the public’s views of consultation. The Council undertakes a number of consultations each year on a variety of issues, such as transport, parks, education and the environment which we use to improve services as well as develop new policies and strategies.

To ensure we continue to do so and to help us towards improving the opportunities available, we would invite you to complete a short questionnaire below
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 pm

As someone who up until last October worked for Renfrewshire council i like this thread.Seven years it took me to escape and even after i had bounced a disciplinary letter off my foremans head and called him a fat useless prick they STILL tried to keep me on.I had a game of letter ping pong with the HR guy who kept reading my "reasons why i'm leaving and while i'm at it heres a list of things that are corrupt and should be looked into"letter and he kept folding it up and sliding it back to me acroos the table.Eventually he relented and told me that after nearly thirty years in the job he had never dealt with anyone who was trying to quit on a point of principle and whilst he admired me he thought i was mad.Trust me its a mad mad mad mad world in the council ANY council.One day someone somewhere will write a book about the things that go on there.Yesterday expose of the mp's wee games with expenses had me pissing myself because of some of the stunts ive witnessed being pulled in my time at da cooncil.Still i do miss all the paid sick leave :wink: Slaters of the world unite and take over :D
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat May 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Hey flyman

On a similar kind of note would be Robert Carlyles character in Carla Song, link to which can be found here about halfway down the page. Many thanks to Glasgowken for posting them.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat May 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Nice one Dave it really did descend into farce when i tried to leave my job and i think its because no one ever LEAVES-the cooncil :D my problem is i actually quite like working........i was heading for the divorce courts because my wife thought i had gone off her because i wasn't going to bed at nights its just all the sleeping i was doing in the van all day was throwing my body clock off :wink: Seriously the council is the last refuge of the desperate and the damned,some of my "ahem" fellow tradesmen who had worked all their lives from apprenticeship through to the present really wouldn't survive outside the environs of the council.I have a million and one tales of stuff that i witnessed in those seven years and some of them when retold are pretty hard to believe but trust me i'm nae Hans Christain fae Anderston :wink:
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:08 pm

ET

Council staff may face pay freezes

COUNCIL workers across Scotland could face a pay freeze for the next four years.
Local authorities may be forced to ban wage rises if the government decides to slash public sector spending because of the recession.
Almost 300,000 workers are employed by 32 councils throughout the country
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Mori wrote:ET

COUNCIL workers across Scotland could face a pay freeze for the next four years.
Local authorities may be forced to ban wage rises if the government decides to slash public sector spending because of the recession.

It should be noted that the 'government' in question is the Scottish Executive.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Mori wrote:COUNCIL workers across Scotland could face a pay freeze for the next four years.

Not all Cooncil employess are facing a pay freeze: teachers (who else) have a pay increase of 2.5% to look forward to next year.

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 pm

dimairt wrote: Not all Cooncil employess are facing a pay freeze: teachers (who else) have a pay increase of 2.5% to look forward to next year.

And they are still not paid enough for what they do. C,moan the teachers.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:27 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Mori wrote:ET

It should be noted that the 'government' in question is the Scottish Executive.

A lot of "mays" and "ifs" in this article.... COSLA couldn't possibly be scaremongering... could they?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 am

They're serious about a pay freeze for next year but yes it's the start of the negotiations.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:34 pm

ET

Jobs blow hits city

Up to 2500 posts may be axed as budgets hit by cuts and recession
THOUSANDS of council jobs in Glasgow are to be axed because of the credit crunch and public spending cuts.
Council bosses are planning a major workforce review in light of the massive squeeze on the public purse, with the overall aim of radically reducing its staff levels to save much-needed cash.
Although the council cannot put a figure on how many workers leaving the authority would help it balance the books, union sources have put the figure at around 10%.
That could mean as many as 2500 staff leaving or losing their jobs within the next three to five years.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)