Star Bar and Ken Manners

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby russ » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:21 pm

I am still looking for photos of the star bar with the ken manners sign on it somewhere.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 pm

I seem to remember one of my friends telling me that Ken Manners was a distant relation. I will phone him tonight and get the low down.

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby DickyHart » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:52 pm

Ken"bad"manners may taint his legacy. He was actually quite funny saw him gig in the star bar stage a few times, his patter was good, the guy could play anything as long as it was in they of "g" or "d"
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 pm

This brings back bad memories of having to go to the Grand Ole Opry and being shunted upstairs to watch Elvis films with other kids.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby pwm437 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:26 am

JoeyCape wrote:If I remember correctly Ken Manners was replaced by the double act of Robert and May Millar.

Saw them once, guy on an organ and a big lippy wummin. A bit like the duo on the Karen Dunbar show. Probably not a patch on Ken Manners who I would love to see. I wonder what Simon Cowell would make of him.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

ee

Postby yourebarred » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:59 pm

i like the sign on the side of the quarter gill on oswald street that says
'dunky macs nostalgia disco'
still never been
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

pub of the month june 86

Postby thegazman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:10 pm

thegazman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Star Bar and Ken Manners

Postby russ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 pm

I went in and indulged in the £2.20 lunch and asked the owner about the Ken Manners sign. He said he didn't have any pics though he told me Ken owns a little Guest House in Ayr.

So I am still looking. If anyone has any photos whatsoever of the sign I would do just about anything. (apart form that you dirty...) Anyway!! anything at all I just need a reference.
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby chipsteak » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:30 pm

The last i saw the Ken Manners guitar shaped signs, they appeared in a window of a pub in Govan in the late 90s/early 00s, after his stint at the Star Bar. They were there for quite a while.
chipsteak
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby russ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

I am still on the look out 5 years on. I just found a phone number though.

http://www.hotfrog.co.uk/Companies/Ken- ... ntertainer
russ
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Ken remembers Gerry with great fondness
Jan 7 2011 by Jeff Holmes,Paisley Daily Express
A LIFELONG friend of Gerry Rafferty yesterday revealed he has rare recordings of the Paisley legend singing Her Father Didn’t Like Me Anyway and other songs while they jammed in a flat in the town.
Ken Manners, a singer songwriter himself, was performing in the pubs and clubs of Paisley in the 1960s when a young Rafferty was rapidly beginning to make his mark on the scene.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 am

ken manners used to do a weekly gig in the crown bar clydebank in the late seventies.gerry goodwin took over from ken and still plays regularly in the social clubs and does afternoon sessions in the tolbooth and granny gibbs.i spoke to him about ken and he told me he was now retired and running a hotel/guest house in ayr but this was about two years ago.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Ken remembers Gerry with great fondness
Jan 7 2011 by Jeff Holmes,Paisley Daily Express
A LIFELONG friend of Gerry Rafferty yesterday revealed he has rare recordings of the Paisley legend singing Her Father Didn’t Like Me Anyway and other songs while they jammed in a flat in the town.
Ken Manners, a singer songwriter himself, was performing in the pubs and clubs of Paisley in the 1960s when a young Rafferty was rapidly beginning to make his mark on the scene.

billy connoly played guitar with gerry rafferty in the humblebums and they appeared at the edinburgh festival one year billy refers to this in billy connolly's world tour of scotland when he does a show at the usher hall he also points out a pub they played at and were paid with a bottle of whisky and 6 cans of beer
there is a programme on bbc2 monday august 29th at 9pm about gerry rafferty billy connolly is interviewed on it (according to the trailer for it)
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby seanp_14 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Ken played 3 nights a week at the elderslie bar in yoker in the mid 70 s he played mon tues and wed and I played thurs frid and sat there under my stage name Mike Phoenix.Ken appeared on stv; s search for a star he came second to chris mc clure aka christian would love to meet upwith ken to rattle about times gone by
seanp_14
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bigdan 1958 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:56 pm

My goodness ken manners is more popular than I thought.my brother in laws while working in glasgow in the late seventies saw ken in glasgow and liked him so much they and the rest of the builders brought him up to fraserburgh where he done two nights and went down a storm use to have one of his cassettes!!!! Great to read the rest of the posts
Bigdan 1958
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)