Lost Villas in Shawlands

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:16 pm

Blueboy wrote:
sammycat wrote:Hello
I'm new to this forum.

I'm trying to find out about Elgin Villas, Shawlands - does anyone know its exact location? And does anyone know if any pictures of the building exist?

Hello Sam.
Where/how did you hear about Elgin Villas?
I'll nip over to the library (Borders) at lunchtime and have a look.

Could only find mention of Elgin cottage which is/ was at the junction of Pollockshaws Road and Shawhill Road c. 1900

Did you find anything Blueboy?

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sammycat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:50 pm

Hi Pgcc93
Thats interesting and thanks for the map. The place is mentioned as Elgin Villas in several sources - had it just been the one I'd be thinking it might be a mistake. I wonder if it was later named Elgin Cottage?

1867 - Daniel's wife died at Elgin Villas, Shawlands, Glasgow (as per death entry)

1869 PO Directory, Glasgow p.246
McNicol, Daniel, mason and builder, 9 Elgin Villas, Shawlands.

1871 - census, the McNicol family are at Elgin Villas, Shawlands, Glasgow

1875 - son William McNicol dies at 9 Elgin Villas, Shawlands. (as per death entry)

So, it was definately there and known as Elgin Villas between 1867-1875. It just seemed when I came across this thread that the mystery was close to being solved, but perhaps not! :?

In 1871 it was in Enumeration District 12 & here's the description:
"Starting at the boundary of the Brisk of Eastwood at McQuistans Bridge on the New Kilpatrick Road and including all within the following boundaries - along the boundary of the Parish to the Main Road leading from Glasgow to Barrhead at Crossmyloof thence along the centre of said Road to where the boundary of the Burgh of Polllockshaws Road crosses it thence along said boundary of said Burgh to McQuisten's Bridge."
sammycat
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:47 pm

Defining that boundary might be a good start.. anyone any idea where "McQuistans Bridge" is/was? Is there a definitive spelling of "McQuista/en"?

:)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby DasGutHerrDoktor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:54 pm

McQuistens bridge is still there - it is the bridge over the River Cart on Kilmarnock Road (just beside Pollokshaws East station. I think their is a plaque on the bridge naming it
DasGutHerrDoktor
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby sammycat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:58 pm

If you go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk and put in 257026,661488 as a co-ordinate you can see the bridge in 1863.
sammycat
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ronnie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:05 pm

sammycat wrote:Hello
I'm new to this forum.

I'm trying to find out about Elgin Villas, Shawlands - does anyone know its exact location? And does anyone know if any pictures of the building exist?

Any information regarding Elgin Villas would be very welcome.

Elgin Villas was renamed "1331 and above" Pollokshaws Road - see "A Guide to Glasgow Addresses" by Susan Miller. An absolutely invaluable guide!!
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:20 pm

The voice has spoken! 1331 Pollokshaws Rd is at the head of Ravenswood Drive, not sure which side of the road but I'll check for you tomorrow... might even manage a fotie as well :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby sammycat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks Ronnie.

Pgcc93
Could only find mention of Elgin cottage which is/ was at the junction of Pollockshaws Road and Shawhill Road c. 1900

Looks like Elgin cottage was maybe the building - seems to be in the same place as 1331 Pollockshaws Road put into http://www.mappy.co.uk

Thanks to all for your help.
sammycat
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 pm

sammycat wrote:Looks like Elgin cottage was maybe the building - seems to be in the same place as 1331 Pollokshaws Road

Oh yeah... god I am a fick bitch tonight! Would you like a fotie of it or are you able to get there yourself Sammycat?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby sammycat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Hi crusty_bint
I'm on the other side of the county so a fotie would be just great!
Thanks a lot.

...I suppose though there could have been an Elgin Cottage AND and Elgin Villas - maybe they are not one and the same...
sammycat
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Lost Villas in Shawlands

Postby jimmyrob69 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Hello there anyone interested in the lost villas of shawlands.
I used to live in number 4 lethington avenue between 1944-1960 and left just before glasgow corporation took charge in the demolition of these beautiful villas in lethington and dirleton avenues.resulting in the building of these hidious concrete blocks to house the masses.
there was about 8 villas each side of the avenue and the same in dirleton.
there must be hundreds living there now ,which i remember was a nice quiet tree lined avenue.
thankfully blairhall avenue was spared this mass destruction.
I recently paid a visit to the area and was very saddened how run down the place looks now and the motorists appear to have taken over the pavements and using them for car parking.

oh well enough of my observations.
Regards,Jim.
jimmyrob69
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Lost Villas in Shawlands

Postby cheesemonster » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:03 am

Here's one for you, put "dirleton avenue" into google maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &z=16&om=0
Without looking can you guess where it is yet? Now zoom out...
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)