Drumchapel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Drumchapel

Postby fermex » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 am

Does anyone know anything about the Garscadden Crypt at the top of LInkwood Rd in Drumchapel -

fermex
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hazy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:35 pm

"Does anyone know anything about the Garscadden Crypt at the top of LInkwood Rd in Drumchapel "
It was for dead people :?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:45 pm

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 18, 2008 2:16 pm

TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING (SCOTLAND) ACT 1997
THE STOPPING UP OF ROADS AND FOOTPATHS
(GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL)
(DRUMCHAPEL SITES B AND D) ORDER 2007
Glasgow City Council hereby gives notice that it has made an Order under Sections 207 and 208 of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997, authorising the stopping up of:
1. Part of Barnkirk Avenue
2. Part of Blackcraig Avenue
3. associated roads and footpaths
A copy of the Order and relevant plan specifying the lengths of roads and footpaths to be stopped up may be inspected at the above address and times, by any person, free of charge during a period of 28 days from the date of publication of this notice. Within that period any person may, by notice to Development and Regeneration Services at the above address, object to the making of the Order. If no representations or objections are duly made, or if any so made are withdrawn, the Order may be confirmed by the City Council as an unopposed Order.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Nicked these from an episode of 'Taggart'. If you like the photos, go out and buy the video. Taggart The Complete Collection Disc 3: Murder in Season, avaiable through eBay, Amazon and various outlets.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Now who can tell me the location of each photo
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mairead » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:13 am

A real story in picture there. Thanks for the memories
I fear not hell, nor English strife,
For Scotland, I will give my life
mairead
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tombro » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:03 am

Great to see the Drumchapel thread mobile again.

A couple of the pictures strike a chord in my memory. The third one from the end, looking towards what I presume are the Linkwood Drive Flats would seem top have been shot from Ladyloan Avenue, the street in the middle of the picture being Airgold Drive where I used to live !

The derelict looking shopping centre with the wee kids on the steps might be the shops in Lochgoin Avenue at the top of Achamore Road. This fits in with Ladyloan Avenue which approached the same shops from the Peel Glen end !

A couple of other pictures suggest tenements up at that same Achamore Road end of Drumchapel where the Number 9 Corporation bus used to terminate, I think, in Moneymusk Place.

These are memories of a ten year old kid who left 'the Drum' at the end of 1960, bound for Australia, but I went to St Sixtus School on Kinfauns Drive and some of my mates lived up the top of that big hill (Ladyloan Avenue) in the third picture from the end !

Regards,
Tombro :P
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:10 pm

tombro wrote:
The derelict looking shopping centre with the wee kids on the steps might be the shops in Lochgoin Avenue at the top of Achamore Road.

Yep, that's where it is. Nice to see them again but not sorry to see them gone.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:39 pm

I see that they are starting to demolish The houses in Glenkirk dr at Cloan Av. This area was always well kept but over the past few years it has been allowed to fall into bit of a pigsty.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Just realised the last photo is the Achamore Road hill, looking from Dunkenny. The 2nd to last is at the top of said hill looking towards it from the other direction.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Story from last year in the ET

Eight brownfield sites in Drumchapel have been earmarked for development aimed at transforming a historically rundown area

ONE of Glasgow's most ambitious house building projects - a £200million scheme to transform Drumchapel - is under way.
A total of 1250 family homes will be built over the next five years in the largest project of its kind in Scotland.
Developers New City Vision will build on 124 acres across eight brownfield sites with the aim of rejuvenating a historically rundown area of the city.
The Drumchapel New Neighbourhood Initiative, revealed by the Evening Times in April, will represent a significant milestone in the regeneration of the area.

new city vision
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:36 am

He was alone in the aisle when the lights flickered and died, leaving him in almost complete darkness .. accompanied only by the soft glow of the emergency lights scattered few and far in the over head gantry.

The almost perfect silence marred only by the soft hum of the inverters of the emergency lights was quickly pierced by stifled screams followed by low, guttural moans interspersed with the shuffling of many fractured gaits slowly, almost imperceptibly, closing in around him.

Then he glimpsed them .. lumbering shambolic creatures which, although usually happier in the murky darkness, appeared confused by it's sudden and unannounced arrival. They bumbled into each other and their increasingly chaotic surroundings as they all, with some sort of mindless collective consciousness, closed in on him and although doubtlessly without rational thought and dead inside they moved with a definite air of menace that belied their stumbling and low, breathless gasps and grunts.

He desperately tried to moderate his increasingly laboured breaths, fearful they would hear him and latch on with the dreadful incumbent fate that came along with that eventuality.

The air was musty, with more than a faint odour of decay subtly masked with the sickly acrid fragrance of cheap perfume and rancid sweat. He knew his only option was to find a way out before the creatures got there, closing off his escape and his life expectancy simultaneously.

His pulse banged in his ears, making his neck tight with the increased blood pressure .. he was sure they could hear his very heartbeat as his mind raced through the possibilities of escape, one after one of which inevitably ended in his grisly fate at the hands of a mindless mob of the undead.

A scene from 28 Days Later?

Nope, it was my account of Somerfield in Drumchapel today half way through shopping when some incompetent 'ditch engineer' dug up a three phase cable plunging the holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle show that is the Arndale Centre into darkness.

I could only feel pity for the hordes of young mothers and their kids, confused and bewildered, standing outside Greggs not fully cognisant of the fact that they couldn't nourish their offspring with their usual "Steakbake Dummy".
Last edited by Doorstop on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:45 am

Doorstop wrote:He was alone in the aisle when the lights flickered and died, leaving him in almost complete darkness .

You think that's bad - exactly the same thing happened to me whilst in a toilet cubicle at work this morning and I didn't even have the benefit of an emergency light to guide me safely though erm...things.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:50 am

Nasty .. ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:54 pm

Mark N wrote:You think that's bad - exactly the same thing happened to me whilst in a toilet cubicle at work this morning and I didn't even have the benefit of an emergency light to guide me safely though erm...things.

well if you dont know by know where your meat and two veg is by now I suggest you ask a grown up. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)