Drumchapel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Drumchapel

Postby tombro » Fri May 04, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks for that post and setting the date, Robert.

I only started tracing my Drumchapel roots around 2007 and one of my first research venues was Google Maps. At that stage I found out that everything above where I lived on Airgold Drive had been demolished but I was never sure of when that happened, hence my reference to you for Kirsty.

Tombro :D :D
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat May 05, 2012 3:34 pm

how far have you got tracing your family Tombro. I can supply all the names of the residents in Airgold and Invercanny in 1962, 1971 and 1973 if it's any help
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hillbilly » Sat May 05, 2012 8:50 pm

wow , I stayed at 12 Invercanny then till I got married.
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further:
hillbilly
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 am

hillbilly wrote:wow , I stayed at 12 Invercanny then till I got married.

which year?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hillbilly » Sun May 06, 2012 2:28 pm

robertpool wrote:
hillbilly wrote:wow , I stayed at 12 Invercanny then till I got married.

which year?

63/64 till 72
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further:
hillbilly
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 pm

mate of mine was in airgold before the pull down.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 am

Next year. A "60" th diamond celebration is being planned for Drumchapel to celebrate the building of the vast housing estate.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirstymaclaren » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Thought I saw new doors on St Pius Church the other day but they were just posters! Anyone know what's happening there currently?
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kirstymaclaren » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 pm

robertpool wrote:Arndale / Drumchapel Shopping Centre Businesses in 1971

I was thinking about the shop names and buildings in and around The Drumchapel Shopping Centre or The Arndale Shopping Centre as it was originally known as, and tried to remember it from 1971, as that was the year l left school and started work and happens to be the year that the reference book l bought was printed. It lists every street in Glasgow and shows the householders name and address number, which helped me remember who my neighbours were in 1971. It also lists every business in Glasgow, not just Drumchapel. I came up with these shops and related buildings including their address numbers. Hope this jogs your memory, l know it jogged mine as half of them l had forgotten about.
Kinfauns Drive:
D. Whitfield, service station
51 Gowans Ltd, bakers
59 A. F .Reid & Sons Ltd, bakers
61 F. W. Woolworth & Co. Ltd, departmental store
63 John Menzies & Co Ltd, booksellers
65 Boots the Chemists
67 Cooper & Co Stores Ltd, grocer
71 Munro Cleaners Ltd, Laundrette and drycleaners
73 Birrell Ltd, confectioners
75 S. Docherty, butchers
77 Sperber’s, drapers
79 Malcolm Campbell Ltd, fruiters
81 B. A. Reith Ophthalmic Optician
83 City Bakeries Ltd
85 British Linen Bank
Dunkenny Square:
50 D & S Crawford Ltd, bakers
48 Scottish Gas Board
24 Andrew Cochrane Ltd, grocer
20 True-Form Boot Co Ltd, boot & shoe dealers
16 James Grant & Co (West) Ltd, house furnishers
10 Gordons (Tandem Shoes Ltd), boot and shoe dealers
4 Radio Rentals Television Rentals Ltd
4a Kay’s, hairdressers
4c Drumchapel Discount Stores
2 D. Sawyers, fruiters
5 Clydebank Co-op Society Ltd
9 Clydebank Co-op Society Ltd
21 House of Clydesdale Ltd, house furnishers
25 Norport, fishmongers
27 Clydebank Co-op Society Ltd
29 G. D. Boddie (Chemist) Ltd
31 D. McKellar & Sons Ltd, butchers
33 Bowie-Castlebank, laundrette and dry cleaners
37 British Relay Ltd, television rental company
39 Crown Wallpapers, wallpaper dealers
41 Malone Shoe Repair Service Ltd,
43 Gall & Co (Cash Drapers) Ltd, draper
45 British Bata Shoe C Ltd, boot and shoe dealer
47 Kyle Paints Ltd, household paints
49 Ure Food Store, grocer
49 Bairds, departmental store

The public underground toilet was located at the bottom of Dunkenny Square between Clydebank Co-op and D. Sawyers, fruiters
Hecla Ave

73 Glasgow Corporation (Housing Management Dept, Rent Office)
65 Drumchapel District Library
9 to 15 The Butty Bar
5 Savings Bank of Glasgow
Hecla Place
Post Office and Sorting Office

Underground toilet? Wonder if that's still there or has it been ripped out? Also, what is the future of the shopping centre?
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 pm

New police station underway opposite Drumchapel Sports Centre, New tennis courts with floodlights next the bowling greens underway. The shopping centre? I understood the co-op had a major interest but maybe they have sold it on. There was a board five years ago on the site of the Gulf petrol station with the full plans on it but only the three posts remain. A third bookmakers business on the front in place of a charity shop was rejected recently. Any ideas? Or is the place slowly running down. The lane at the side of Iceland has not had proper lights for a while.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:33 am

Robert Poole,

For some reason, I completely lost contact with this topic. Perhaps I didn't look closely enough before my last reply to kristymaclaren but your pictures of the demolition of Invercanny Drive, showing what remains of the other side of Airgold Drive from where I lived, I missed completely.

As for the names from the years you mention (and I did leave theDrum in December 1960, a little before the years you mention), I am still in contact with Willie McLoughlin who lived across the street from 17 Airgold Drive and who now lives in Canada. A few other names I can remember from that time in Airgold Drive are the Wisemans, the Dochertys, the Millers, the Stoddarts (Willie McLoughlin passed on the sad news that Dougie died last year), the Drovers (at six years old Dianne was my first ever 'girlfriend'), the Corals (who lived on the same landing) and the Stevensons. There was also the Kirkwoods and the Brydens who lived in Airgold Place, more Dochertys, the Corrigans, the McColls and Alan (Alec) Aitken, who lived in Ardhu Place. I seem to remember that John Finnegan (who ended up playing football in England, I think for Milwall) also lived in Ardhu Place too, as both played for the local Football Team (Drumchapel Strollers ?) with which my dad had a connection, together with Alistair McColl's father. There was also a Drumchapel Athletic too, where I believe Alex Ferguson developed his talents !

As for Invercanny Drive, I can only remember the Shearer family who lived down to the left hand side of Ardhu Place as you reached the top of the hill and the Carlin family who lived right up on the right hand side, towards Linkwood Drive.

Robert, it's fifty-odd years since I left 'theDrum' but I still remember those years from 1955 to 1960 as my formative years and, as I am still teaching (at sixty three) students of around that same age, I am trying to instill in them that these will be some of the most fantastic years in their lives, too.

Just five days ago, I showed my students a picture of my Class Photo from St Sixtus' (as it was taken at the 'big school' in Kinfauns Drive, I think it was probably from 1959). There were forty four students in the class (I am now teaching a class of twenty two) and, when I posted that particular Class Photo on one of the 'other' Glasgow Forum sites that we sometimes don't mention, I was able to identify more than thirty of my friends from that time.

Robert, I have completely lost contact with any remaining family in Glasgow. Both of my parents are now dead, so I only have my older brother as family and, for that reason, my contacts with the various Glasgow Forums are precious to me. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to share my feelings and information from that past !

Tombro :) :)
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm

I see the new 'hub' style police station is under construction at the "Antonine Court" end of the Arndale centre.

Steel skeleton erection is well underway.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Congratulations to Drumchapel on celebrating their Diamond Jubilee yesterday in Drumchapel Park.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby treebdr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 am

yoker brian wrote:Image

the Orange Box marked WB is the site of the Whisky Bottling Plant & Bond
the Yellow box marked SC is the site of the Shopping Centre

Note the Duntreath Avenue road and flyover linking Drumchapel and Peterson Park hasnt been constructed, nor have the houses in the Peterson Park scheme. I'd date the photograph to around the early to mid 1950s

The area under the camera icon is Essenside Avenue. My family used to live there.

You can see the white church at one end of Essenside. They built a small play park with a climbing frame there later.

The Youth Centre was built at the opposite end of Essenside Avenue from the church. That was also the area for the site office when they were building this part of the scheme and they used to store all sorts of building materials there too. My father and his friends used it for a provisional playground!
treebdr
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ruth Taylor » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi there,
Would anyone know if this photo is in the public domain and free to use, as I would like to put it into a publication.

images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ruth Taylor
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)