Drumchapel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Drumchapel

Postby Doorstop » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:42 am

Where were you working when the darkness struck and left you in a quandary Mark?
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:10 am

Edinburgh.

Nuff said.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jack_parlabane » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

robertpool wrote:Nicked these from an episode of 'Taggart'. If you like the photos, go out and buy the video. Taggart The Complete Collection Disc 3: Murder in Season, avaiable through eBay, Amazon and various outlets.

View from Belsyde Ave
View from Lochgoin Ave
View from Glenkirk to Linkwood
Ladyloan Shops
Lochgoin primary school
ImageImageImage
Achamore Road from Kerfield Pl
Achamore Road
Achamore Road
Achamore Road
Achamore Road
Achamore Road
Achamore Road

Now who can tell me the location of each photo
jack_parlabane
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doorstop » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Deja Vu?
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ricky411 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:43 pm

RE: Some stills from "Just Another Saturday"

Excellent pics, especially the 1 showing "Sperbers" of Ladyloan Place (Where I stayed for many years) in the background,

That picture shows three girls from the play and me and my pal dogging school, Where we stood on Achamore Road and refused to move.
Brought back memories, thanks,

R.Ewings
ricky411
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm

I remember (roughly) when i first got into rock/metal getting the Iron Maiden "Killers" album and marveling at how similar the Drum was to the houses in the background behind Eddie as seen below ::):

Not sure about the sex shop though ::):
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:36 pm

robertpool wrote:got it!!

reconise anyone?

Is that not the Sauchiehall St entrance to Kelvingrove Park.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fermex » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:54 pm

cheers for those taggart pics and the name of the episode, i have been trying to work that one out for years (really).

I remember a scene where they run by the kinclaven shops if its the same episode im thinking of. I actually live on the old site of the kinclaven shops in a new build house. :roll:
fermex
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jack_parlabane » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:39 am

Does anyone remember the climbing frames and chute behind St Marks church? That big loud speaker shaped frame used to scare me sensless.
jack_parlabane
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:30 pm

I've been doing a bit of research on the Drumchapel shopping Centre development or the lack of therein and the trail has led to the local planning officer, a Mr David Gibson, bloody nice bloke who this very morning took a sizeable chunk out of his day to relay to me some of the fact of the new development of the centre as it stands.

The development is a partnership between Glasgow council and a private development concern, PPG Metro based in Edinburgh.

The actual work on site was originally planned as a 60 month phased development involving demolition (obviously already partially completed) and then a new build of both retail accommodation and new local government offices which include a new Civic Hub and more specifically a new Police station as Strathclyde police are finding the logistics of policing Drumchapel area problematic with their existing infrastructure.

Land for the new Police station has already been allocated and accounted for in the Strathclyde Polices' budget as this is apparently a priority as far as both the Police Regulatory bodies and the council are concerned. Mr Gibson added that the new Civic Hub build was, at present, under review as to size, function etc due to present financial restraints placed upon the council.

The rest of the Centres' development is, due to factors outwith the councils' control ie credit crunch etc, in a state of flux in as much as retail park layout etc is concerned.

The main player in the old Centre was and is obviously Somerfield. This retailer currently occupies a 40,000 foot premises that, according to Mr Gibson, has been struggling to function at half capacity.
The plan was to, after demolition of the old Somerfield premises, construct an entirely new building of 20,000 square feet to house the new 'Somerfield' concern.

This plan was thrown into uncertainty by Somerfields' corporate buy out by firstly the Co-Op and then subsequently Morrisons .. this uncertainty has unfortunately had a knock on effect on the subsequent phases of development as they are all pivotal on the main player having a finalised plan.

So in short the new Drumchapel Arndale centre looks to have a new, smaller supermarket (Probably a Somerfield, possibly a Morrisons), a new main Civic Hub or Council Office and a new main Police station for Drumchapel itself and the surrounding (Garscadden etc) districts. Other retailers have been in talks with PPG Metroabout taking up the remainder of any retail outlets but Mr. Gibson was somewhat reluctant to divulge who they actually were as the proposed development of their phases of the retail park were the ones undergoing dynamic changes in plans at the moment.

Mr. Gibson has promised to keep me appraised of any developments by email so I'll post them here as and when I get them.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Well done Doorstop, l await your next report
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Nae bother .. interested to see things will pan out myself actually.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Not Good for the Health

Postby HeatherWaters » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:04 am

tombro wrote:Again I find myself replying to Robert Pool's input.

Searching for information on Drumchapel, my first contact was with the 'OorDrum' site. It's so sad that it no longer exists as I enjoyed the chat and the School Pictures. I actually sent along two pics from St Sixtus School in the period 1958-59 featuring both my class and my brother (Joe's) class (with the names of those we could both remember ) but they were there for only a couple of weeks before the site disappeared.

That another contributor to 'OorDrum' was Isobel Coral who sent pictures of Camus Place school also intrigued me as I used to live next door to her in Airgold Drive !

Thanks for reviving another memory, Robert !

Regards

Tombro

After I placed my introduction and I was have a look round about I saw another introduction with a name I that I used to know. On futher reading of the post I discovered that tombro lived next 'close' to me and I did indeed know Isobel Coral. I use to go to the house for ballet lessons from her sister Janet and my mum [I wish she was still here so I could tell about this] use to have tea withe thier mum Suzy. So all I can say is that HD is not good for my health ::):
HeatherWaters
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tombro » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:09 am

Heather Waters,

If you knew Isobel and Janette Coral and their mother Sue, (they lived next door to us, on the same landing) you will most probably remember a few others who used to live in that area of Airgold Drive, too.

After nearly fifty years in Australia I ended up making contact with Willie McLaughlin who used to live with his family in 16 (across the road from us) and we've been in regular contact since. He now lives in Canada.

Perhaps the names Neil and Diane Drover, Dougie Stoddart, Alistair McCall, John and Gerald Docherty, David Wiseman (I think his younger brother was called Martin), the Robertsons and the Kirkwoods might be familiar to you,and probably Willie's younger sister Elizabeth, who was my age.

The Corals lived next door to us, the Browns, on the same landing !

Tombro :)
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HeatherWaters » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Hello Tombro

David Wisemans Mother lived next dooor to us used to see him now and then when he came to visit her and then there were the Knoes who went to the cathlic school St Pius. There was Ann who was the same age as me and her brothers Charles and Micheal. I remember Elizabeth McLaughlin we used to hang out out along with Ann Knox and her siblings along with the Loves from accross the road who were ages with Charles Knox. The was two sisters who lived in the same close as you but on the ground floor I think they were Janet and Maureen Fraser the younger sister was badly asmathic.

This is so wierd and spooky I wish my mum was still her so I could tell all this she would have loved it. :D

Heather
HeatherWaters
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)