More Flats....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

More Flats....

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:33 pm

Yep, more flats, presumably luxury this time on Victoria Road, at the site of the Bus garage. Don't know but it probably dates from the 1920's so another bit of history bites the dust.

How many of the original depits still exist today? Newlands is a Safeway, Knightswood is becomming houses, don't know about Maryhill and Possil, Ibrox is still a dump, and Partick is houses. Now Larkfield is going. More history away.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:08 pm

Larkfield was opened in 1929, it was the first purpose built bus garage in Glasgow.
The closure of Knightswood (opened 1932) was the biggest surprise for me, but it's on prime housing land, the B&Q store across the road is also closing, no doubt to make way for houses as well.
The admin block at Knightswood will stay, it's a listed building, (of course that doesn't mean it's future is safe).

BTW, the GVVT open day at the old Bridgeton bus garage is on tomorrow :wink:
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: More Flats....

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:23 pm

Flyingscot wrote:......................... don't know about Maryhill and Possil, Ibrox is still a dump, and Partick is houses. Now Larkfield is going. More history away.

I think the new Strathclyde Police Comms Complex sits on the site of the old Ibrox Bus Garage in Helen Street.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: More Flats....

Postby glasgowken » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:27 pm

Socceroo wrote:
Flyingscot wrote:......................... don't know about Maryhill and Possil, Ibrox is still a dump, and Partick is houses. Now Larkfield is going. More history away.

I think the new Strathclyde Police Comms Complex sits on the site of the old Ibrox Bus Garage in Helen Street.

Yes, they use it as a training centre as well (I think). Most of the garage is still there though.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:21 pm

Here is a Computer image of the New Police Comms Complex in Helen Street which now sits on the Bus Garage opposite Asda behind it is Traffic Complex at the corner of Helen Street and Sheildhall Road - built a few years earlier.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:28 pm

Oops, my mistake, I was thinking of Govan bus garage, not Ibrox :oops:
The police use it for training.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Maryhill Bus Depot

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:34 pm

Maryhill Depot is now Brewis Terrace and I don't think you see "flats"without the prefix "Luxury".

Luxurious flats would be a different matter.

[/img]
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:39 pm

Langside Garage is another one. It was on the corner of Holmlea and Battlefield Road, now Flats. I think they were built in the mid eighties.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:42 pm

glasgowken wrote:Oops, my mistake, I was thinking of Govan bus garage, not Ibrox :oops:
The police use it for training.

Don't worry about it i was involved in the building of the bloody thing - cop shop that is - and i had to think twice about what street it was in. :oops:

There is quite an old interesting disused railway / industrial area behind the Strathclyde Police area up to the "Albion" Car Park which covers Rangers FC's old training ground.

It is pretty overgrown but there is evidence of the old railway lines / embankments and your can hear quite a few ferocious culverted burns running underground after it has been raining.

Not much too look at really but still interesting as it is a forgotten chunk of land in the middle of the city that we drive past / around every day.

There is also the usual burned out cars, needles and empty carry out bottles etc.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:06 pm

Building houses on the Larkfield Depot site would be turning the clock back! Three very old Glasgow homes were demolished to make way for the garage, Larkfield House, Butterbiggins House and Inglefield House. In the 1920's my grandad was a delivery boy for the Butterbiggins Dairy and had to walk down the unlit lane to Inglefield House to deliver their milk. The houses were accessed via Langside Rd (a continuation of the present Langside Rd which extended north of Butterbiggins Rd.)

Inglefield House
Virtual Mitchell
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

More Flats / Bus Garages

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:12 pm

Where do all the buses go at night now? Do the drivers take them home with them?

What Garages will still exist if they are closing Larkfield / Butterbiggins Road?

Is Parkhead Garage still open? Knightswood is away. Ibrox has been shut for a long time.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:15 pm

The newest Firstbus depot is in South St, near the Albion works.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:24 pm

Parkhead Garage lasttime I past was still in use. I think the Possil Garage is still standing but not in use :?

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Possil was (is ?) being used to store old buses.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:25 pm

skintobalinto wrote:Langside Garage is another one. It was on the corner of Holmlea and Battlefield Road, now Flats. I think they were built in the mid eighties.

I seem to remember when they built those flats one of the entrances was made to look like a bus crashing out of the wall. Can anyone else confirm this or is time playing tricks on me?

Stinkpad.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)