Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cumbo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 pm

Buckfast gets the red carpet vip treatment glasgow style:

::):
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:24 pm

I had it at a new year party, mulled! It was actually quite nice! And I can testify that Nice n Sleazy's does sell it, I've seen the bottles behind the bar.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Ach, buying/drinking it in a pub is denying its jakie heritage, especially in there, its more like an ironic statement by interestingly dressed art school students.

Definitely a drink that needs to be enjoyed behind a skip.

Never tried it myself, although one of the funniest moments i can remember was a boy in my art class years ago, who decided to finish off his Standard Grade still life with a freshly finished bottle of the stuff.

Rather good painting if i remember!
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Disaster!

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:34 pm

what'll you do now ally doll?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Ally Doll wrote:Disaster!

Don't blame Indy he tried to save it:-
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:37 pm

tobester wrote:what'll you do now ally doll?

I'll leave quietly before the residents come out and ask why I'm taking pictures on their landing! :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:38 pm

howd u manage to get in their landing?

did u smile at the concierge and he let u in
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:41 pm

tobester wrote:howd u manage to get in their landing?

did u smile at the concierge and he let u in

I did have a reason to be there, just happened across the dead buckfast on my travels! :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:48 am

I reckon the reason "Rubber Duckie" causes so many partuicular problems is the amount of Caffeine it has in it (Read the Label). You end up with pished AND hyper kids. Not a good concoction! Plus all the other assorted chemicals that are in it.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 pm

Ya don't see Buckfast because...

It's all going into the local ice-cream now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 248702.stm

'Crass' Buckfast sorbet shelved
Buckfast has been made by monks at Buckfast Abbey since 1880
An award-winning ice cream parlour in East Lothian has stopped selling Buckfast sorbet, a "gimmick" which had been condemned by the justice minister. Di Rollo of Musselburgh has been selling the sorbet to over-18s for six weeks after the new flavour was invented by one of its workers.
The parlour said it had been withdrawn because it was not selling well.

Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill, the local MSP, said its introduction had been "crass and insensitive".

Mr MacAskill, who represents Edinburgh East and Musselburgh, pledged to crack down on "irresponsible" alcohol promotions earlier this month. He told the BBC Scotland news website: "Things such as this reinforce the problem. We should stick to exotic flavours of ice cream. "Some things are just not funny. Scotland has a problem with alcohol, it's a well-known fact. "Ice cream is to be enjoyed but frankly this is crass and insensitive."

Kevin Di Rollo, owner of the ice cream factory which supplies the shop, said: "We don't mean to offend anyone, its just a gimmick to keep interest in our ice cream, we're not trying to get kids drunk. "One of the guys in the factory came up with the idea and said why not give it a try. It is quite nice, but I'm not a keen fan of Buckfast. "The Buckfast sorbet took a trick at the beginning because it was new but it is not selling all that well now." He said the shop was now stopping selling the flavour, which included real Buckfast and was only sold to over-18s because of its alcohol content.

Di Rollo of Musselburgh won first prize for its vanilla at the Ice-cream Alliance's National Competitions in 2006.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bigdavevw » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 am

we hey!! im drinking a bottle right now!

i dont think they should ban it, i drink it and im not a ned........ much ::):
a weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend
bigdavevw
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Word » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:54 pm

bigdavevw wrote:we hey!! im drinking a bottle right now!

i dont think they should ban it, i drink it and im not a ned........ much ::):

There are 'suits' drinking it, respectable folk it would seem, they drink it for the fast and cheap hit I'm told. The new national drink ?

No me but, a hauf bottle of Bells & a big W is fine thank you.

:wink:
'Hark the Herald Angels Sing'
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Targer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:05 pm

Buckfast gets far too much bad press. It was once touted (in the 50's) as a tonic wine. I would drink it but I dont think it reaches these shores.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Apollo wrote:Ya don't see Buckfast because...

It's all going into the local ice-cream now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 248702.stm

'Crass' Buckfast sorbet shelved
Buckfast has been made by monks at Buckfast Abbey since 1880
An award-winning ice cream parlour in East Lothian has stopped selling Buckfast sorbet, a "gimmick" which had been condemned by the justice minister. Di Rollo of Musselburgh has been selling the sorbet to over-18s for six weeks after the new flavour was invented by one of its workers.
The parlour said it had been withdrawn because it was not selling well.

Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill, the local MSP, said its introduction had been "crass and insensitive".

Mr MacAskill, who represents Edinburgh East and Musselburgh, pledged to crack down on "irresponsible" alcohol promotions earlier this month. He told the BBC Scotland news website: "Things such as this reinforce the problem. We should stick to exotic flavours of ice cream. "Some things are just not funny. Scotland has a problem with alcohol, it's a well-known fact. "Ice cream is to be enjoyed but frankly this is crass and insensitive."

Kevin Di Rollo, owner of the ice cream factory which supplies the shop, said: "We don't mean to offend anyone, its just a gimmick to keep interest in our ice cream, we're not trying to get kids drunk. "One of the guys in the factory came up with the idea and said why not give it a try. It is quite nice, but I'm not a keen fan of Buckfast. "The Buckfast sorbet took a trick at the beginning because it was new but it is not selling all that well now." He said the shop was now stopping selling the flavour, which included real Buckfast and was only sold to over-18s because of its alcohol content.

Di Rollo of Musselburgh won first prize for its vanilla at the Ice-cream Alliance's National Competitions in 2006.

Bloody politicians have no sense of humour :wink:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)