Buckfast, why not seen

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fortified wine

Postby trudger » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:32 am

[quote="Dexter St. Clair"]Lanliq, Four Crown etc were all South African wines and I feel the jakies must have heeded the call for a boycott of that country's produce and moved over to Colt 45, Thunderbird and super lager.

Yep, when I was a tadpole, all Jakies of distinction drank Belair and milk. Another popular method of getting 'miraculous' was passing the old town gas through milk (only, though, if you were fresh out of Belair).

Dexter, I remember Colt 45 as a lager, was it a 'forty-five' wine? I remember it around the time of 'Breaker Malt Liquor'.
Another couple of fine wines from yesteryear ; 'Old England' and 'VP', which was known as 'Virgins Pish'
On the subject of cocktails, the Sarry Heid used to do (maybe still do) a drink called Shammy, which was a cider and sparkling wine combo. Believe me whan I say it was life changing. They also did a strange, roughly fermented brew called White Tea. This too had the power to resurrect the dead, not to mention the contents of your stomach.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:26 pm

There was a menu snippet in last weeks Herald diary about a curry hoose in Wishaw selling a Buckfast Korma. Mmmmmmm appetising!

I can also vaguely remember hearing it used to only be sold in chemists. The original idea was for granny to have a wee glass every night as a tonic. This might explain why it became an, how do I put this, an "underclass" drink. Maybe the chemists weren't covered by the same licensing laws therefore the alkies could get a swally on a Sunday. Then the kids caught on.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:29 pm

I've been to Buckfast Abbey. It was nice. This was a good few years ago, and my mum took home a half bottle of Buckfast to her friend. Her friend then told her who normally drunk Buckfast - my mum had no idea! I was about 12 or 13 at the time and had no idea either though!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Eldorado
Old England
Emva Cream
Lanliq
Scotsmac
VP
Four Crown
Whoooosh :o 8O It`s no wonder i can`t remember my teenage years :wink:
BTW I had a sniff of a Buckfast Bottle in my 20s and nearly puked :roll:
How times and taste change :o ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:32 pm

scaryman2u wrote:Eldorado
Old England
Emva Cream
Lanliq
Scotsmac
VP
Four Crown
Whoooosh :o 8O It`s no wonder i can`t remember my teenage years :wink:
BTW I had a sniff of a Buckfast Bottle in my 20s and nearly puked :roll:
How times and taste change :o ::):

Thunderbird

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ratdog » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Have a look here, pretty entertaining. Buckfast is listed under "other".
"It's days like this that push me over the brink".
ratdog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:01 pm

ratdog wrote:Have a look here, pretty entertaining. Buckfast is listed under "other".

Was there meant to be a URL in there, ratdog? Or are you just trying to live up to your avatar :) ?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:52 pm

TWINS
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:12 am

When I was a sweeper in a small Lanarkshire village I got to know two of the local conneisurs quite well. They used to wander down to the bridge to share a drink with one of their mates from the opposite direction. He always had a bottle of whisky that they'd share until the day they caught him peeing into the empty bottle. He told them by the time it'd been through him it was pure alcohol.

Must've tasted pretty convincing though unless their palates had lost their discriminating edge somewhat.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:58 am

MacotheIsles wrote:Must've tasted pretty convincing though unless their palates had lost their discriminating edge somewhat.

It probably had "Bells" on the lable. :)
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fortified wine

Postby JayKay » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:44 pm

trudger wrote: Yep, when I was a tadpole, all Jakies of distinction drank Belair and milk. Another popular method of getting 'miraculous' was passing the old town gas through milk (only, though, if you were fresh out of Belair).

From William S Burroughs: "In England & especially in Edinburgh the citizens bubble coal gas through Klim -- a horrible form of powdered milk tasting like rancid chalk -- & pick up on the results. They hock everything to pay the gas bill, & when the man comes round to shut it off for the non-payment, you can hear their screams for miles. When a citizen is sick from needing it he says, 'I got the klinks' or 'That old stove climbing up my back'."

Good to hear that it was true after all.

The Shammy at the Sarry Heid is/was also true, as the state I was in when I saw Zodiac Mindwarp at the Barrows testified after dowing a few.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ratdog » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:36 pm

Josef wrote:
ratdog wrote:Have a look here, pretty entertaining. Buckfast is listed under "other".

Was there meant to be a URL in there, ratdog? Or are you just trying to live up to your avatar :) ?

Apologies, I'm on various "very strong" painkillers for my back atm, here it is. http://www.bumwine.com/
"It's days like this that push me over the brink".
ratdog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AlanM » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Peekay wrote:Thunderbird

PK

Blue or Red label?

I prefered the blue
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 pm

I remember the days of Lanliq, Eldorado and the rest, including the Belair+milk concoction. I have horrible memories of the sight of belair being 'recycled' for secondary consumption early one morning outside Queen Street Station.

Anyway - what happened to good old meths?
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:27 pm

PKThunderbird

Aviation fuel 8O
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)