DANGER!! DANGER!! DANGER!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby germistonguy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:52 pm

A daft question, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Years ago when I went to primary school in Glasgow, the jotters you were given had these words emblazoned across the front.

I vaguely remember some sort of list, either warning you of dangerous things to be avoided, or some other sort of life instruction.

Anyone got an old one in their loft. I am hoping someone can remind me what the wise words on the back and the front of the jotters were. This is going back to the 1970s mind.

:?:
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:14 am

I remember them being called "Safety Dos" and were a long list of road safety type instructions:

DO look both ways before crossing the road
DO avoid crossing between parked cars

etc etc. Being the young wags that we were we would add "n't" to every bullet point. Hours of amusement.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:30 am

I remember we all got bookmarks in primary school, with a sinister black figure black on them with the words "never go with strangers" superimposed in white.

Needless to say, it didn't take some folks long to realise you could take a black pen to it and get an apparently official government warning to "never go with rangers."
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:21 pm

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:Being the young wags that we were we would add "n't" to every bullet point. Hours of amusement.

We done that too!! Of course nowadays they wouldn't know to put an apostrophe between the n and t.

Such is the power of indoctrination that I still remember the message at the very bottom of my jotter and still use it today when telling someone that rushing in will cost in the long term...
"better a moment at the kerb than a month in hospital"
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:44 pm

We used to alter it to read "Better a month in hospital than a moment at school".
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:19 pm

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:I remember them being called "Safety Dos" and were a long list of road safety type instructions:

DO look both ways before crossing the road
DO avoid crossing between parked cars

etc etc. Being the young wags that we were we would add "n't" to every bullet point. Hours of amusement.

Yep. Done that!

its all flooding back now. ahh memories :)
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:00 pm

'DO move aside to others pass you on the pavement' was another one.
It was duly changed to 'DO move aside to let others piss on the pavement'
Which I always do incidentally - move aside I mean.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 pm

I'm fairly sure my son brought home one of those jotters a couple of years back at the end of year. I'll see if it's kicking about somewhere in the house. IIRC it had the Strathclyde Regional Council logo on it!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

DANGER! DANGER!! DANGER!!

Postby RabH » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:19 pm

If I remember rightly, the old Glasgow Corporation jotters had brown covers with the warnings on front and mathematical tables on the back. These jotters also had codes like F0, F2 and F4 - has anyone any idea what these codes meant?
RabH
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: DANGER! DANGER!! DANGER!!

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:34 pm

RabH wrote:If I remember rightly, the old Glasgow Corporation jotters had brown covers with the warnings on front and mathematical tables on the back. These jotters also had codes like F0, F2 and F4 - has anyone any idea what these codes meant?

I think those codes reffered to the paper size, and if they were lined or not etc.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: DANGER! DANGER!! DANGER!!

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:21 pm

The_Clincher wrote:
RabH wrote:If I remember rightly, the old Glasgow Corporation jotters had brown covers with the warnings on front and mathematical tables on the back. These jotters also had codes like F0, F2 and F4 - has anyone any idea what these codes meant?

I think those codes reffered to the paper size, and if they were lined or not etc.

F0 was blank and the others had lined or squared paper. I'm trying to remember if they were all the same shape and size.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:22 am

Somebody must have one of these lying about somewhere, they could maybe post a scan of ??
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Jotters

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:38 am

C2 jotters were taller, had fewer pages , a red line margin, and were used for essays in ink.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)