bells bridge

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sunflower » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:25 pm

I know, I know....but it's fun, people enjoy seeing something going on on the river, everyone hangs around to watch, it's kind of an occasion. There's lots of talk about regenerating, reinvigorating reheavenknowswhatting the riverside and there's nothing there except offices and car parks, it's a tragic waste :cry:

Maybe someone would turn up to sell T-shirts.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:36 pm

Looked like someone wasnt too happy with their crimbo gifts and might have taken a dip in the clyde around the bridge. Went by just after 8 and there was fire crews at either side using flood lights, the fire chief support cars were there and there was a fire officer climbing down one of the rescue ladders. Did'nt see anything myself and their lights werent providing much.

I went over Millenium Bridge to avoid them.... was curious what I could see floating in the river beside the waverly

and of course, this all happens when I don't have my camera :(
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:39 pm

I noticed on Friday evening that the powers the be had places life rings at either end of the bridge.... cynical me smiled and thought about opening a book, taking bets on how long they'd last!
One gone by Sunday night ::):

2nd is still in place! No other life rings in place along the riverside though.

What do people get from throwing them in the river?
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: bells bridge

Postby Sunflower » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Public service annnouncement -
Doncha just love all the advance notice?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 pm

it's not really a problem give the close proximity of the Squinty (Finnieston) Bridge and the Millennium footbridge nearer the science centre.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Not one of humanity's most pressing problems, agreed, but dashed annoying if you get it wrong. A riverside stroll slightly diverted is one thing, but a dash from A to B being made to include a double dose of riverside walk is quite another.
Anyway, it's just good manners to warn people when things are going to be different.
And how come they need that long to do some resurfacing anyway?
And I hope it's more worthwhile than when they had the orange tube closed for weeks.
I'm just pissed off with the way they divert footpaths and bike routes and stick random posts and signs in the middle of shared paths. And for heaven's sake there are still official blue bike/footpath signs on the road stub at Pacific Quay that never has never led to Bells Bridge.
Oh I feel so much better now.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:03 pm

The work to refurbish Bell's Bridge will start on Monday 4th March 2013, with site mobilisation and installation of four steel locking piles. This work will be done from a barge in the river.

Following from this the bridge will be swung open and secured to the locking piles for grit blasting, painting, new canopy and lighting installation, parapet improvement and full refurbishment of the mechanical and electrical equipment. The approach ramps on the banks will also be replaced.

The work will take 16 weeks and cost £1.6M.

A short diversion route for pedestrians and cyclists will be clearly signed using the nearby Millennium Bridge.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Looked like it was due for a paint last November;

november cycle 10 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 pm

BTJustice wrote:Looked like it was due for a paint last November;

november cycle 10 by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

That's a lovely snap, Dave. Very 'Angel of the North'.

It was due for a paint quite some time prior to last November.

But, as I may test everyone on here's patience by continually stating, GCC doesn't 'do' maintenance. What they do is build something, announce it in the Evening Times to great acclaim, ignore it entirely for thirty years, express surprise at the degradation due to lack of maintenance, demolish, build something...... and repeat.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 pm

To add : wtf is the story on that, btw? Is it a budgetary thing? Egg Man seems to have a line into GCC, if anyone does.

Why do they do it? Spending umpteen zillionty quid on demolition and rebuilding rather than the odd bit of maintenance doesn't seem to make sense to us common chaps. Even if the Scottish Government agree to pay for most of it.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)