Fire! Nithsdale Rd

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Bruce » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 am

Anyone know what the current situation is with the building?
... they’re all made out of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same.
Bruce
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 am

Yes Bruce its easily salvageable. A representative from the Scottish Civic Trust and I had a good look at it on Tuesday night and there is no reason why it can't be saved. Roof trusses are gone but the brick walls certainly look intact and the propylaeum is only superficially smoke damaged. Condeming it would be overzealous. Going to try and get a letter out this week to the council expressing concern on Pollokshield Heritage's behalf. Hopefully what happened will galvanise efforts to save it. No reason at all why this can't be put to a good community use just a shame this hasn't happened before now.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby smartie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:12 am

The after math

Wow isn't my new camera fone better than my old one...... 8) :D
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:04 am

Those are from a cameraphone????

Not bad at all! Make and model ?? :)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mooshimooshisan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:26 am

That stuff about the plymouth bretheren was really interesting, thanks!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby smartie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:43 am

Sharon wrote:Those are from a cameraphone????

Not bad at all! Make and model ?? :)

Nokia 6630 - 1.3 megapixel camera....... it is sweeet.......
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:41 am

nodrog wrote:For reference, under Scottish planning law it's not actually possible to list *only* a facade -- it's all of a building or nothing!
Really? I'd heard that the uni's John McIntyre building had A-listed stained glass windows, but the rest was B-listed.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Nithsdale Hall Fire

Postby Socceroo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:47 pm

Reading through the topics in the Coffee Lounge, i came across the thread on the Nithsdale Hall (The Bretheren) fire.

I was on holiday in August and was unaware that this attractive building had went up in flames.

The building is actually owned by Glasgow City Council. Note from the borrowed copy of smarties photo above, that they conveniently left a scaffold and ladder in place for potential firestarters to gain entry.

In the Spring of 2004, i approached the Council on behalf of a Society (non religious) that i represent, and who were relocating, with a proposal to buy the building outright, or secure it on a long term rent agreement with the proviso that we would be responsible for maintenance.

We had learned from a contact who knew the previous occupants that they were about to leave the building.

The Development and Regeneration Services Officer that we were dealing with whilst looking at other potential property in the city centre, was enthusastic about our interest. After all it made sense that there was another potential long term occupant for a building that was just about to be vacated.

However, Development and Regeneration Services Property Officers on the southside were less than helpful. When we met them at the building they said that they had forgotten the keys and that we would need to come back.

One of them stated that the building was nothing to do with their colleague in the City Centre, and that it was unlikely that we would be considered for the building as it had been "ear marked" for another purpose.

This was despite us knowing about the building prior to it being vacated and prior to it appearing on the Council's lists. :?
Last edited by Socceroo on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Nithsdale Hall Fire

Postby AlanM » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:56 pm

Socceroo wrote:One of them stated that the building was nothing to do with their colleague in the City Centre, and that it was unlikely that we would be considered for the building as it had been "ear marked" for another purpose.

This was despite us knowing about the building prior to it being vacated and prior to it appearing on the Council's lists. :?

The purpose for which it was earmarked was probably a bit of willful fireraising, demolition and redevelopment
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Nithsdale Hall Fire

Postby Socceroo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:55 pm

I was raking about in books tonight to see if i could find anyting else on Nithsdale Hall. The following is from "The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow" by Williamson, Riches and Higgs.

"Nithsdale Hall (The Bretheren) 41-3 Nithsdale Road. Built 1888 as Nithsdale United Presbyterian Church. A simple red and white brick box screened by a small but substantial Greek facade in Alexander Thomson's manner. Temple front with four pilasters between the two pylon - like projections. Elaborate approach with anthemion railings and (decapitated) lamp - standards. The snecked rubble has the obvious white pointing often specified by Thomson."

Gavin Stamp's book does not give any claim to the building being by Thomson, although the area is surrounded by a lot of Thomson building's which some argue may or may not be by him. :?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:44 pm

There's some information about this on the Strathbungo Society's website (they attribute the Hall to Skirving)
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:08 pm

heres the listing:

RCAHMS wrote:41 NITHSDALE DRIVE, NITHSDALE HALL INCLUDING GATEPIERS

Category: B
Date of Listing 05-DEC-1989

Description:
Alexander Skirving, 1887. Built as Mission Hall for Queen's Park United Prebyterian church. "Thomsonesque", with tiny temple front of stone-cleaned ashlar set between 2 pylons, with grand array of steps, piers, gates and railings to central door; remainder red brick, stepped window moulding to flanks in contrasting yellow brick; also basement; furthest bay with transverse broad-eaved gabled roof - roofs slated.

References:
Drawings, dated April 1887, in the Frank Worsdall collection on Glasgow City Archives (Ref A501), April 1997. Information from Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.

Notes:
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Towers reduced in height from those shown on Skirving's drawings.
crusty_bint
-
-

Fire : Nithsdale Road

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:00 pm

Thanks Crusty and Toaster.

Alexander Skirving being the Architect would make sense, i think i read somewhere in the past that he was a student of / worked for at one time or another for Alexander "Greek" Thomson.

In fact i think i read something along those lines more recently also through one of the HG forums / links.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:15 pm

Yeah, no probs Socceroo :)

His other works of importance are listed as:

6-12 Broomielaw 1883
Battle Monument, Langside 1887-8
76-84 Wilson St 1889
5 Kensington Rd 1893
Langside Hill Free Church 1894-6, describd as "a late offshoot of Thomson's St Vincent St false portico and aisled formula"

I really wish they would drop the "Greek" bit from Thomson's name, I think it does him a dis-service.

:)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Toaster » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:15 pm

For those interested in running a Dead Buildings pool, can I stick a tenner on this church hall getting totalled soon? I just noticed today that it's under the watchful eye of Osiris Security Ltd...8O

I know, it's only the facade that's left, but I'm sure it'll only take an accidental swing or 10 with a sledgehammer to deal with that.
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)