Longest street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Longest street

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:33 pm

From no mightier a work of reference than the Glaswegian of Thursday, June 16, 2005, an advertisment for 'Shoes In The City' announces that:

Duke Street in the east of the city is the longest street in Europe. It was Named after the Duke of Montrose who a property ther in 1794.

So now you know :?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:40 pm

To be honest, I'd heard that before and didn't think it was credible. I would have thought both Great Western Road or Dumbarton Road to be longer, but there again I've never measured! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:46 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:To be honest, I'd heard that before and didn't think it was credible. I would have thought both Great Western Road or Dumbarton Road to be longer, but there again I've never measured! :D

They may be longer - Apollo's quote talks about the longest 'street' as opposed to road.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:31 am

::):
Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:42 am

Mackintosh, in his "Origin and History of Glasgow Street Names", p.1902 says:

DUKE STREET, opened 1794, is named for the Duke of Montrose, whose lodging overlooked it. Previous to 1801 it extended as far west as Balmanno Street, the name being cut deep in the east corner tenement. It was at first known as Carntyne Road, and is the longest street in any city in the United Kingdom, which came out in the following way: - In the course of a controversy in a weekly periodical on this question, a prize being offered to the person who solved the matter, Oxford Street, London, was given and accepted as the longest; but our respected townsman Mr. M. Gemmel, the well-known property agent, had reason from his own knowledge to be dissatisfied with the award, and he had the street measured, it turning out to be, as he expected, considerably longer than Oxford Street.

Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:31 am

I remember Duke Street being listed as the longest street in Britian in the Guinness Book of Records years ago. Not sure if it's still listed though.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:23 pm

Measuring it-

Duke Street from end to the other is 1.65miles
Sauchiehall Street is 1.50miles.
Argyll Street would be longer at 1.70miles but is discontinueous!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:01 pm

Flyingscot wrote:Measuring it-

Argyle St. is NOW discontinious, fragmented, split due to the M8 being built but maybe this doesn't mean anything. If its 1.70 then its longer than Duke St.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Voyageur » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:11 am

Schiehallion wrote:
Vinny the Mackem wrote:To be honest, I'd heard that before and didn't think it was credible. I would have thought both Great Western Road or Dumbarton Road to be longer, but there again I've never measured! :D

They may be longer - Apollo's quote talks about the longest 'street' as opposed to road.

Whats the difference between a 'street' and a 'road'?
The Voyageur
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:29 am

"street" is spelled s, t, r e, e, t, and "road" is spelled r, o, a, d.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:42 am

Captain Brittles wrote:
Flyingscot wrote:Measuring it-

Argyle St. is NOW discontinious, fragmented, split due to the M8 being built but maybe this doesn't mean anything. If its 1.70 then its longer than Duke St.

I suppose I should break out the GPS and digital maps, but until then, I found:

From "A Century of Glasgow" Page 83:

Originally known as the Yoker Turnpike, it is fully 2 miles long, from the Trongate to the River Kelvin
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:09 pm

There you have it then, the Yoker Turnpike - aka Argyle Street wins.

Don't you think they should have left the name as it was ? Something adventurous about 'the Yoker Turnpike'
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:45 pm

Well, they'll just be able to put the old ready made name back in place when they introduce road charging:

A toll road, turnpike or tollpike is a road on which a toll authority collects a fee for use. Similarly there are toll bridges and toll tunnels. Other non-toll roads are financed using other sources of revenue, most typically gasoline tax funds. Tolls have been placed on roads at various times in history, often to generate funds for repayment of toll revenue bonds used to finance constructions and/or operation.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:46 pm

Well, they'll just be able to put the old ready made name back in place when they introduce road charging:

A toll road, turnpike or tollpike is a road on which a toll authority collects a fee for use. Similarly there are toll bridges and toll tunnels. Other non-toll roads are financed using other sources of revenue, most typically gasoline tax funds. Tolls have been placed on roads at various times in history, often to generate funds for repayment of toll revenue bonds used to finance constructions and/or operation.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Apollo wrote:Well, they'll just be able to put the old ready made name back in place when they introduce road charging:

Yes you said that Apollo ::): (twice!)

Must say I was impressed with the new M6 toll road by-passing metro Birmingham when I used it a few months ago. Worth the the toll.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)