Old Athenaeum theatre pics

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:19 pm

But "intimacy" is the whole point, PD, I would cite the "Queens Hall" in Edinburgh as another example of the sublime attractiveness of bijou.

ps. Doc L. The purpose of the seating was for resting the posterior, perhaps the fucking took place elsewhere in the building? Jings, I hope you did not pay for your ticket in the face of such disappointment. :P
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:01 pm

caine wrote:wow!!! that brings back memories of my days in the SYT!!! cheers for the pictures.

it would make a wonderful small gig venue that place, if only someone one would restore its original features.

Another ex SYT member!

Did you ever do the Summer Festival? If you did, what year?
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:32 pm

Latest developments at the Old Ath from today's ET:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5042319.html

Retail use. Oh joy.

I would also draw your attention to the amazing similarity between their photo illustrating the article:

and this picture that gap74 took on our visit in January.

I'm sure it's an oversight on their part that they forgot to ask us for permission... :roll:
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:02 pm

nodrog wrote:I'm sure it's an oversight on their part that they forgot to ask us for permission... :roll:

And I'm sure they'll pay up promptly if you send them an invoice
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:53 am

I was at the SYT the first year after they bought the theatre and if you'd seen it that summer you wouldn't recognise the place at all! The stage right (actors right not audience) auditorium wall was missing giving access to the old 'warehouse' area next door (the whole building was part of the theatre unit at this point) and maybe just because I was a wee guy at the time, the whole place seemed so much bigger than the pics show!
As for the Phil Kay mishap, he didn't damage that part of the circle as suggested previously. He actually damaged the cyclorama (the furthest back wall of the stage) by running straight into it! I know because it the same year.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:23 pm

The council have passed the plans to adapt the building for retail use, including removing the raked floor of the balcony, creating a new entrance from street level in the pend, and building a new floor or three in the stage space, opening out to meet the balcony.

Council report here:
Linky
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 pm

Story in todays ET too

Retail plan for Old Athenaeum gets green light

COUNCIL chiefs have approved plans to turn a historic theatre into a £3.5million shopping attraction.

Entrepreneur Ken Cairnduff is to turn the A-listed Old Athenaeum on Buchanan Street into a top retail site, securing the landmark's future.

The 112-year-old theatre has lain empty for around eight years and attempts to find alternative uses for it have been unsuccessful.

Now Mr Cairnduff, who owns the upmarket Townhouse store next door and the Au Naturale homeware chain, will soon begin transforming the blonde sandstone landmark.

The Evening Times revealed in August last year how the businessman had bought the five-storey building in a multi-million pound deal.

One objection to the Old Athenaeum plans was received from the Cinema Theatre Association.

It said: "The association believes the proposed internal alterations would involve serious detriment to the character of this category A-listed building."

Despite the objection, council chiefs have backed Mr Cairnduff's plans and granted listed building consent.

Steve Inch, director of development and regeneration services, said: "The absence of a market interest in the re-use of the building in its current form suggests an alternative use is necessary to safeguard the building's future."

Glasgow-based 3D architects have drawn up their future vision of the theatre and work on the five-storey building will soon get under way.

It is expected to take six months to be completed, the site will then be leased to interested retailers.

The Old Athenaeum was once home to Glasgow's famous Citizens' Theatre.

12/09/06

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:39 pm

I wonder who on earth could have written the Cinema Theatre Association's objection... :wink:

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:45 pm

I saw this earlier and thought of you nodrog!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:23 am

ft
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Old Athenaeum theatre pics

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Theatre of dreams - This is the first look inside the newly renovated historic Old Athanaeum...

Continues at Evening Times here

I notice they've used a low angle from the stage end, so you don't see the majority of the mutilation they've done - specifically the carving up of the stage space and the removal of the balcony rake and mezzanine hat check.

And a mosaic discovered during building works? It's quite clearly pictured on this thread three years ago!

They've also managed to pinch my picture again, despite me specifically mentioning when I billed them for it last time that it was for a one-off use only!
Last edited by gap74 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Suggest you charge them double this time.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deebers » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:07 pm

I used to go there frequently to attend 'Fools Paradise' comedy festival hosted by Phil Kay. I remember me and my friend bought tickets for the balcony to ensure we wouldn't get picked on from the stage. The first thing the performer did was climb up and attack me with a feather pillow. He was really creepy - I remember him smearing himself with chocolate and I got covered in it! Yuk! That was about 15 years ago. Jeez!

It's ashame to see it no longer serving its purpose as a theatre.
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby GrantJ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi,

I was the project manager in charge of the re-development of the theatre. I worked on it for 3 years overall, we were on site for the latter 18 months of this.

It's a lovely little theatre, but unfortunately no-one wanted it as the underground rumbles past every 15 minutes. The architect had to offer it to every single theatre organisation in Europe prior to gaining the conversion consent, to see if anyone was interested, and only received a few negative responses back. Retail was the only viable use for the building, as the building is an exposed cast iron frame, so current building standards do not allow it to be sub-divided into say a restaurant in the basement and ground, and offices above.

I know that nostalgia would have the entire theatre retained and made good, but it's just not possible to retail out of a theatre with raked seating, no disabled access, hidden rear dressing rooms etc. Of course the building has to be opened up, however all of the works are reversible if anyone ever wants to turn this into a theatre again.

Once the building is let and is retailling, I'm sure you'll see much of the integrity has been retained and sensitively restored. The mosaic flooring will be a wonder - we discovered around 100m2 of exquisite mosac on the 1st floor (former dining room), not just the patches you see in the photos kicking around. Unfortunately it is in very poor disrepair, however a large portion will be retained.

GJ
GrantJ
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Interesting post there. Cheers! While not knowing much (anything) about building regulations, it sounds like a strange set of rules - exposed cast iron framed buildings can't be subdivided? Anyway, far better altered than demolished, and it's heartening to hear it's reversible.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)