marie stuart hotel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

marie stuart hotel

Postby yourebarred » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:53 pm

Queen Mary Avenue, Crosshill.
Does anyone know when this was last open, any stories attached? Everyone I know in Govanhill can't remember it open. looks like it will be done up shortly, notice to the owners on the front. i went down the lane behind recently, and saw a shetland pony in the grounds. anyone shed any light on this?
also, about 100 yards down the street towards cathcart road theres a strange hole in the ground with some machinery sticking out, sort of hidden but not really, behind a gate. i did take a pic, but got a film camera so it will be a while..
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Spittal » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:57 pm

It was definitely opened in the early to mid seventies when I was kicking about there.It was owned by Bill Tennent the then anchorman for STV and seemed to do a roaring trade in funeral catering.

Bill himself was a member of my old man`s bowling club across the road but his membership was terminated for being perpetually pished...allegedly.

I guess it would have closed after he died....I`ll ask my dad.

It would have been nice to go on a pub crawl with the likes of Bill Tennent and John Toye

:D

Bothymonger
Spittal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Council do good thing shock!

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:25 pm

"Action is currently being taken against the owners of the former Marie Stuart Hotel at 48 Queen Mary Avenue, which has lain derelict now for over seven years. An urgent works notice to properly secure this building and a notice requiring the proper maintenance of land have been served. There is also an in principle approval to the compulsory purchase of this property. These actions are designed to ensure the repair and re-use of this property."

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4419B030-9261-410A-92D6-65F1168ABF8D/0/CrosshillRTF.rtf
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:01 pm

I worked with the solicitors firm who carried out his executry. fairly sure that the hotel was sold. I certainly don't recall the file still being "open" when I left there.

His wife was always very pleasant, a nice person to deal with.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:26 pm

but what of the pony?!!
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby TC1 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:17 pm

"May all your donuts turn out like Fanny's"...... RIP Bill Tennent.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)