Abandoned Ship from the Clyde, still out there

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Abandoned Ship from the Clyde, still out there

Postby cataclyzm » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:35 pm

Hi,

Discovered a fascinating website about ships from the Clyde shipyards that were bound for the East Africa line and others.

Among them, is the ship the : Nevasa, a considerable liner which is still being used in the Fjords of scandinivia I believe. The Nevasa can be seen in the backdrop of a wonderful picture, partially complete as men run out of the shipyard in excitement at the end of their shift. Wonderfull!!

Our heritage is still out there in the world. Check it out:

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/KenUg.html

All the best.
Robert Kelly.
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:35 pm

Nice piece on the Uganda. My dad went on this ship a good few times on the educational cruises as he was a teacher at the time.

I'm reckoning a good few Glasgow kids went on this ship in its day.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:05 pm

Who can tell me the ship that was on the Clyde straight over from the sheriff court i think it might have been a social club at one point,i can remember seeing it lying on its side for a little while..
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:11 pm

kirkyguy wrote:Who can tell me the ship that was on the Clyde straight over from the sheriff court i think it might have been a social club at one point,i can remember seeing it lying on its side for a little while..

That would be the Carrick which housed the RNVR Club. IIRC it had a fire on board which more or less wrecked it. It was in '92 transported down the Clyde to the Scottish Maritime museum in Irvine where it is apparently being restored, although last I saw it was little more than a hulk.

More at: http://www.scottishmaritimemuseum.org/carrick.htm

Incidentally, the ship's demise happened more or less at the same time the flats facing the Sheriff Court were named "Carrick Quay". Nae luck for the developers.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)