Hidden Tunnel going from Castlemilk to Cathcart

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby harleysinger » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:34 pm

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/w ... heDig4.jpg

More photos found on page one of Castlemilk In The News web site!
harleysinger... Make Me Smile :-)
AKA Castlemilk History Facebook...
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Rabbie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:45 pm

I lived in Castlemilk House c1967-68, I remember tales of there being a tunnel somewhere in the hoose. It was quite a big place, bit like the TARDIS.

However, despite exploring just about every nook and cranny from; rooftop to basement, myself a and few other intrepid explorers never came across the tunnel.

Mind you, there was some areas we were not allowed under threat of Matrons wrath, like her quarters unless it was for a telling off <shudders> Not too sure if she was in Queen Marys room, Matrons rooms were on the top floor iirc. And I think QM's on second, sure it was a girl dorm at the time. So hard to be definative in some aspects, was a long time ago and some areas of the house are *fuzzy* in my memory.

There was a sealed off area in basement area. Rumour had it it was stairs leading down to some old dungeon. I recall some members of staff, who jokingly told us if we did not behave we would be put in there. When we asked wit was really in there, they were just coy and if ye behave ye wont find oot!. I dont think they really knew either *:)* Ah, good old days.

I would so like to see if there are any interior / exterior plan (s) of the building, It would certainly jog some memories!

From reading articles, I understand that many parts were added to the original tower over the years, with the latest on north wing c 1900's. Pity it only lasted such a short time. Just why this building was not preserved, in some form or other, will always be beyond me.

Sue, remember when you were on the dig, did you by any chance have any access to plans / schematics, or draw any up from the information gathered from the existing ruins:)

Regarding Pol may dee.

There is a excellant reference which may give a valid explaination:- The whole book is really good read too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903238854/026-2954432-3527639

~ ~ ~ ~

Tammy Cameron, if yer oot there and you happen to read this. I was one of yer buddies during the Great Escape of 67! Yer name just came to the tap o ma hied while writing this. Hope yer erse is better noo, efter yon skelping wi aw goat haha!
Cure for average hangover:~

Take the juice of 2 quarts of the finest malts
Rabbie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby harleysinger » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi Rabbie
I would love to hear some of your stories from your time in the home! I would certainly add them to my web site to go along with the other very detailed transcription that we recorded while in the Castlemilk History Group.
I don't remember actually seeing any plans to the house, Some of the archaeologists eg Research Director: Professor Stephen Driscoll and
Non-Executive Director: Dr Alan Leslie, May well have had plans that would have belonged to the council or Archive Dept...
I did have a report on the actual dig, but now the History Group has disbanded, and our very own archive of records have melted away to - (I no not where)! I will have to find out! :x

Quote:- "parts were added to the original tower over the years"

While the Stuarts built up their influence over Carmunnock, their connection with Cassiltoun (now Castlemilk) itself is very much older.
In "The Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry" we are told that:
'From the family muniments now carefully compiled and preserved, it appears that towards the close of the 13th century, Matthew Stuart of Castlemilk (for at this time the property in Dumfriesshire of the same name was owened by this family), Cassiltoun, and Fynnart Stewart, granted an annuity from his lands in favour of a convent raised in Glasgow by the Black Friars in 1270'.

Frank Worsdall, however, refers:
"Soon afterwards Matthew Stewart apparently feued the 20 - merkland of Castleton of Carmunnock from the Hamilton family, and erected the rectangular Tower which forms the oldest part of the house. (Castlemilk House).
According to Worsdall, during the 15th century the Stewart Family divided its time among three properties, their estate in Dumfriesshire, Cassiltoun and Gourock. The 15th century arrival date seems more probable.
Experts agree on the 15th century Tower.

The Castle (as it was originally), was said to have been partly destroyed during the "Battle of Langside" (1568).
At a later stage the Tower was drastically altered. Two large additions added, and the grounds were lanscaped and the well known 'Pond' laid out, and the Stables and coach-house built in 1794.
I think this is where the changing of the name of "Castlemilk Castle" to "Castlemilk House" transpired!
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Rabbie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks for all the info there Sue, was a cracking wee read.

Sure, yer mair than welcome to add my recollections aboot the time I hud in the Hoose.

Hopefully it may just spark memories and help to build up a fuller picture of what life was like there for the people that passed through it. Some people may even never know they have been there, there was quite lot of wee bairns that would come in, and a few days they would be gone to other places.

There has got to be some people around that worked there and those who spent time in care there too. Some of the day staff lassies that worked there where prolly only in their late teens or early 20's, some where local to Castlemilk too.

Here is a link to other recollections I have related:)

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2826&hl=

[email protected]
Cure for average hangover:~

Take the juice of 2 quarts of the finest malts
Rabbie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby harleysinger » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 pm

AW thanks Rabbie. I lost the link to the GG Board, so thanks for finding it again will report back soon...
Take care!
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby harleysinger » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:40 pm

Rabbie yer story is now on Page 5 of my web site:-
Castlemilk In The News...
http://www.geocities.com/harleysinger/E ... age_5.html
Thanks very much...
Would love it if anyone else has any Castlemilk House stories that they would be willing to share!
Cheers :D
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby harleysinger » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 pm

harleysinger wrote:http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/weesue/TheDig4.jpg

More photos found on page one of Castlemilk In The News web site!

Dead Link above... here's the new link...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Castlemilk-History/116432021792052
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Hidden Tunnel going from Castlemilk to Cathcart

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:48 pm

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)