Hidden Tunnel going from Castlemilk to Cathcart

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hidden Tunnel going from Castlemilk to Cathcart

Postby footbowler » Tue May 31, 2005 8:31 am

I was speaking to someone who has lived in Castlemilk all their lives (from the late 50's), and she said she used to play in a tunnel area near Castlemilk House (now demolished), and the rumour was that it ran all the way down to Cathcart.

It apparently existed in Mary Queen of Scots time, and (stretching the rumour far now), may have been used as an escape from her opposing troups when she was supposed to have stayed in Cathcart Castle.

Does anyone know anymore?
footbowler
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby paladin » Tue May 31, 2005 6:38 pm

Try http://www.marie-stuart.co.uk

they have a map of Scotland with all the places she stayed.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby shuttle534 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:16 am

I read somewhere that the castle was actually owned by an enemy of Mary and that she watched from the hill which is now across the road from the castle site. They have erected a "thing" at the spot. It may have been a small drinking fountain at one time or another.
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am

There is a small ''thing'' at Court Knowe,next to the site of Cathcart Castle
It was never a drinking fountain,more of a drinking den ::): It marks the area that Mary watched the battle of Langside from after spending the night at Cathcart Castle.

Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby harleysinger » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 am

CASTLEMILK IN THE NEWS:- WEB SITE:-
http://www.geocities.com/harleysinger/i ... 3535276062
Last edited by harleysinger on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:33 pm

Indeed there is Footbowler, according to my old Grandad, and not many people know about it.

The only access point to the tunnel was had from the Mary Queen of Scots Room in Castlemilk House via the fireplace.

The secret passage could only be gained by removing the vase next to the clock on the mantelpiece, then the fireplace would spin round in a james bond type fashion to reveal the steps down to the secret tunnel itself.

Here is a picture of the interior of Castlemilk House featuring the very fireplace itself in the MQoS room.

This is a view of Castlemilk House from one of the air vents further down the hill.

:wink:
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Gosh..... 8O
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:02 pm

I saw a BT van parked outside the other day, so it must be used as a cable tunnel now.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:40 pm

I was told that she rode her horse until it collapsed and she then said 'Paul May Die'

Hence Polmadie.....

Urban leg ends
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:32 am

Get a grip! Youse are all worse than Dan Brown!
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:39 pm

Ronnie wrote:Get a grip! Youse are all worse than Dan Brown!

...says a man with a pyramid/eye avatar. We're close to the truth here and you're just spreading disinformation on behalf of the illuminati.

< :wink: >
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:33 pm

I suspect irony may be involved in Ronnie's Avatar, I hope that's the case with yours too
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi, I know of no tunnel underneath Castlemilk house. I lived in Castlemilk for 16 years. My mother's place of work is built upon the footprint of the old house. Round the back of the building is some excellent walling from the house but no sign of a tunnel im afraid. I was led to believe for many years that Polmadie got its name from Mary Queen of Scots "Pol may dee and i may flee" it actually turns out to be some sort of Gaelic anglicized corruption meaning something along the lines of "pond of wolves".
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Molendinar wrote:I suspect irony may be involved in Ronnie's Avatar, I hope that's the case with yours too

Does this mean that you are not with the Red Cross then, Molly? :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby harleysinger » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi
I was involved with Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division.
(GUARD) Who conducted the dig right on top of the ruins, before the play-area was formed. They assured us that the tunnel underneath the Castle was more than likely filled with the demolition rubble from the Castle as the Tower walls were 10ft thick, and it was not possible to excavate them or we would have needed mine saftey experts... So just to confirm that there was indeed A tunnel underneath the Castle!
A small trench was excavated within the surviving tower walls. This uncovered a general spread of demolition rubble that had been disturbed below the level of the surviving foundations. As a result all mediaeval levels had been destroyed by the time of the dig. (Oct 1991).
Mostly, the finds consisted of objects dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries although a few mediaeval pottery sherds were also found. Numerous fragments of clay tobacco pipe were recovered including a pipe bowl that has been identified as coming from the factory of James Colquhoun of Glasgow dated from the period 1640-80.

Hope this confirms a few things ....
Not to sure on the "Polmadie" mystery though!
harleysinger... Make Me Smile :-)
AKA Castlemilk History Facebook...
harleysinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)