Clyde Tunnel Smelling of Coconut Biscuits

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Clyde Tunnel Smelling of Coconut Biscuits

Postby My Kitten » Wed May 11, 2005 7:05 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4530153.stm

and http://www.holdyourbreath.org/

Would you like to smell coconut biscuits as you drive through the Clyde Tunnel in Glasgow?

Maybe you would rather see leprechauns, or favour having the inner walls lined with old CDs?

If so, you are not alone - these are just some of the suggestions received by the woman who is hoping to light up the lives of the thousands of motorists who use the tunnel every day.

Kathy Friend took matters into her own hands after becoming fed up with the "grim" look of the link.

"That run of concrete and grey buildings is a rather depressing thing to greet you," she said.

"I thought it would be improved a lot with lighting.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed May 11, 2005 10:22 am

I hold my breath going through the Clyde tunnel.
I find the best way is to breath normal and then just stop rather than take a deep breath.
you cant smell anything when you are holding your breath.I think?

Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed May 11, 2005 10:54 am

They already looked into this. As far as I recall it's gonna remain grey and boring, is it not...

There was a feature on it, and it's all dictated basically by fire regs and crap like that, obviously.

Is this woman taking the mickey or what? OLD CDs???
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed May 11, 2005 12:10 pm

cumbo wrote:I hold my breath going through the Clyde tunnel.
I find the best way is to breath normal and then just stop rather than take a deep breath.
you cant smell anything when you are holding your breath.I think?

Hold your breath through the tunnel! Major effort! I believe at 30mph it takes 55 secondds to go from 1 end to the other never mind the stop start traffic most of the time!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed May 11, 2005 12:15 pm

[quote="Flyingscot"] Hold your breath through the tunnel![quote]

I used to have to do that with my first car as there was a problem with my petrol tank and I either rolled the window down to get rid of the petrol smell in the car and stank out the car with exhaust fumes or get high on the petrol fumes.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Wed May 11, 2005 3:10 pm

I'd hold my breath due to the 'fumes' that you get when I go through the tunnel on an Arriva Bus, but that has less to do with the tunnel! I think 20 minutes without air might leave me dead! Mind you 20 minutes of BO, pish, diesel, Carbon Monoxide and stale Alcohol in a bus has the same effect!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Wed May 11, 2005 3:16 pm

Mind you 20 minutes of BO, pish, diesel, Carbon Monoxide and stale Alcohol in a bus has the same effect!

and that's only from Dalmuir to Clydebank, plus of course
the token drunk, with his cheap bottle of cider before 8am 8O
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Fri May 13, 2005 4:04 pm

how is it you get a mobile phone signal in the tunnel but no radio?
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Fri May 13, 2005 4:08 pm

engineer wrote:how is it you get a mobile phone signal in the tunnel but no radio?

Different frequency.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri May 13, 2005 5:10 pm

paladin wrote:
engineer wrote:how is it you get a mobile phone signal in the tunnel but no radio?

Different frequency.

Doubt it.

Mobile phones operate at much higher frequencies than radio, therefore the signal is much more directional and less able to penetrate water/ground.

I suspect there is either a repeater installed within the tunnel, or the cellular system has the area so saturated with signals, that there is sufficient signal to maintain contact with the phone and switch transmitters from one end of the tunnel to the other as you travel through it.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Fri May 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Leaky Feeders ! :D

http://www.gbnet.net/net/uk-telecom/p3-13.html
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Fri May 13, 2005 7:33 pm

Wonder when that was installed?

I can't get a GPS signal in the tunnel either and it takes around 30 seconds before it reacts again which must annoy those insurance companies that track your car!

I'd heard DAB radio works in the tunnel but I don't know if that was just a rumour as I have never tried it!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri May 13, 2005 9:09 pm

Coconut yum yum I also like the smell of hot jam, like on tarts and sponges

would smell nice in a tunnel

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 pm

Flyingscot wrote:I can't get a GPS signal in the tunnel either and it takes around 30 seconds before it reacts again which must annoy those insurance companies that track your car!

I'd heard DAB radio works in the tunnel but I don't know if that was just a rumour as I have never tried it!

The GPS signal strength measured at the surface of the Earth is about –160dBw (1 x 10–16 watts), which is roughly equivalent to viewing a 25-watt light bulb from a distance of 10,000 miles.

I assume you're referring to vehicle SatNav, as anyone with a handheld GPSr will know that a conventional receiver will lose signal when they go under the cover of trees.

Tunnels and intermittent signal breaks are not a problem for GPS based vehicle tracking systems as the software has track-prediction which projects the expected position when the signal is lost. If the signal is not received as expected, the system either waits to re-aqcuire, or triggers an alarm or other event, dependent on the application.

DAB uses relatively long wavelength HF as the carrier, basically a smart version of medium wave radio, so tunnels and the like don't cause the same loss of signal which VHF FM suffers.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Sat May 14, 2005 9:11 am

Apollo wrote:DAB uses relatively long wavelength HF as the carrier, basically a smart version of medium wave radio, so tunnels and the like don't cause the same loss of signal which VHF FM suffers.
It also uses a rather clever technology, whose name has totally escapes me, which can get signals from two different places, and improve the signal, rather than cause multipath interference.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)