Henry Healy's

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Henry Healy's

Postby harebo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Oh yeah, the butter pats! Some of them were handmade by my granddad. 'Twas a useful hobby!
harebo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby oldphilosophy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Did he have dairy cows or did he just fancy trying his hand at butter making?
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 pm

What kind of period are we talking about here, chaps? I thought the shaped butter pats went out several decades ago.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby harebo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Ah no, I meant the actual wooden spatulas were handmade! My (maternal) grandfather was a bit of a woodwork hobbyist. The butter itself was presumably from the usual retail suppliers.

And this was during the 80's... even then the traditional butter pat would have been considered retro!
harebo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:15 pm

When Kerrygold came in half pound pre wrapped packs that was the death knell for butter pats.

There was an almighty queue at Greggs at Glasgow Airport last Saturday.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:38 am

Josef wrote:What kind of period are we talking about here, chaps? I thought the shaped butter pats went out several decades ago.

It was about 1985 I worked there, I was 16 and still at school.
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:40 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:When Kerrygold came in half pound pre wrapped packs that was the death knell for butter pats.

There was an almighty queue at Greggs at Glasgow Airport last Saturday.

Crazy because it probably costs a fortune for the packaging.

I've yet to see a greggs without a queue :O
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:32 pm

harebo wrote:Just found out today about Henry Healy's closing. Bit of a shock considering my dad is Henry Healy!

Prepared a little blog tribute to our clan's lunchtime institution: http://hbom.livejournal.com/2009/10/17/

- HH4

Welcome aboard Harry!

Personally I think the demise of Henry Healy's was that they wouldn't do cater to the evolving taste buds of Glasgow. Example - in our office scrambled egg & cheese was a hit. Someone would nip our for rolls every morning but our local branch of Harry Healy's refused to bow to our demands claiming that someone once got badly burnt in the cheese mix process, so it was off the menu for good with no suggestion of a rethink. As a result we took our business to Charlie Brown's, who would happily ply us with scrambled egg & cheese, sausage & cheese, bacon & cheese or whatever cheese themed combination we cared to thow at them.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Speaking of which; whose bright idea was it to put cheese on top of chips? Yeuk!
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:08 pm

ah,no buts its got to be butter,foil covered butters are mostly made from a single blend with a specifc amount of water and salt to provide an individual flavour particular to that brand.greaseproof paper wrapped butters usually supermarket own brand can often taste different from one day to the next as they are made from a blend of butters from more than one country,in other words the leftovers from the other butters.new zealand anchor butter is the exception to the rule as it is imported whole and is only wrapped here.lurpak is produced and wrapped in denmark and for what its worth is my personal favourite butter. :roll:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Have you tried Lockerbie butter?
(available in the larger Tesco stores)
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:08 pm

cheesemonster wrote:Have you tried Lockerbie butter?
(available in the larger Tesco stores)

seconded, lovely stuff, Silverburn have it, sad to say I actually only go there to buy the butter :oops:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

banjo wrote:ah,no buts its got to be butter,foil covered butters are mostly made from a single blend with a specifc amount of water and salt to provide an individual flavour particular to that brand.

I always thought the point of adding salt to butter was precisely in order to enable the water to be added. And thus to be charged at the same price per weight as the butter itself.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:44 pm

I suppose you could add water without salt but it might be a bit messy after the intial emulasion starts seperating?
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

My granny went to Curley's in Saracen Street circa 60's and they had loose butter,loose tea and loose biscuits. :D
Interested to read that about the Irish connection with these shops. There's still a Curley's in Belfast wonder if it's the same? The other grocer's in Saracen Cross was Galbraith's but my granny preferred Curley's :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)