Cycle Route

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cycle Route

Postby shuttle534 » Wed May 04, 2005 9:07 pm

I have just had a canvasser for the green party at the door.
She was telling me that they are closing off part of the cycle network. The section that runs along the old rail route next to South Street. (The bit where everyone was standing to watch the ship launch). Did anyone hear about this? Was there anything mentioned about this in the papers or anywhere else?
Apart from the Neds who hung around it in the evening I quite liked riding along that bit as it was the old rail route. Another little bit of enjoyment taken away from us.

Which reminds me that tomorrow is voting day!!!
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu May 05, 2005 11:53 am

I would have thought this unlikely as I believe that is part of the national cycle network. I will ask my friend who works for Sustrans and see what I can find out.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu May 05, 2005 12:47 pm

As I recall, was not part of the grand plan for the harbour to demolish the railway embankment, which would kinda also put paid to the cycle route on top of it. Seem to remember the suggestion that the Clydeside Expressway be lowered or raised slightly too, although the exact details are hazy in my mind...!

Perhaps not the end for the cycle route, which would surely have to be replaced in any development of that kind, but wouldn't be as nice as riding the route of the old railway.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu May 05, 2005 12:50 pm

Was the expressway not to be sunk below ground?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gap74 » Thu May 05, 2005 12:56 pm

From the Glasgow Harbour part of the Clydeport website:

The completed works will improve the current Clydeside Expressway (A814), create better access to Glasgow Harbour, and strengthen the connection between Glasgow Harbour, Partick and the West End.

Planned works include:

* Dropping the current Expressway by approximately 4 metres in order to create access over it;
* Building a ground-level road bridge over the Expressway, to create vehicle access between Glasgow Harbour and Partick;
* Building a ground-level pedestrian bridge over the Expressway, to create direct access between Glasgow Harbour and Partick, especially the public transport services at Partick Interchange
* Building a new bridge across the River Kelvin, parallel to the Expressway;
* Creating a new junction to replace the current Ferry Road roundabout at Yorkhill
* Re-aligning part of Castlebank Street in order to connect in with the new Kelvin bridge and link road with the SECC.

Infrastructure works are currently underway, which - when complete - will provide a new pedestrian bridge across the Clydeside Expressway and the River Kelvin. Also included is the improvement of the Meadow Road underpass - which is almost complete - and the removal of the barrier created by the redunandant railway embankment at South Street. Taking the embanment away will open up the waterfront and the Glasgow harbour site, and create a much strongder link between Glasgow Harbour and Partick.

As part of this and other development works, we have temporarily relocated the cyclepath which was formerly sited along the embankment. The cyclepath - which is part of National Cycle Route 7 -has been diverted onto South Street between Ferryden Street and the Meadow Road underpass. However, the cyclepath will ultimately be located on the riverfront once development work is completed.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu May 05, 2005 1:23 pm

According to the people at Sustrans, the proposal is to re-route NCN 7 [the cycle route] along the Clyde through the new Glasgow Harbour development and use the existing route on the disused railway as an access road. Sustrans haven't received any formal notification of when this might happen , but reckon they would not necessary be told as the railway is owned by Glasgow City Council.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Thu May 05, 2005 6:07 pm

Ah close the lot of them! childrens toys for adults

why not get a pedal car or a hobby horse
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:44 am

I passed this way last week. What they've done so far is to close off the
embankment between the underpass at Beith St in Partick and the site of the
old Whiteinch Riverside station. There's a missing railbridge at Smith St (been
missing for a long time) and you rejoin the railway embankment here.

Between the underpass and Smith St, you are now expected to cycle across
Castlebank St and share the footpath with pedestrians - I just love this
sort of scenario... Image - and then you have to cross back over the road
at Smith St to rejoin the embankment.

It looked to me like they're intending removing the entire closed section of
embankment - most of the trees and bushes are now gone. The purpose of
this escapes me, as it surely will open up noise pollution to the new overpriced
flats?

This will also mean the demolition of what's left of Whiteinch Riverside
station, so get along there soon with your cameras folks. I reckon another
two rail bridges will be lost as well, including the 4-track one which stands
to the west of where Partick West station was.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:51 am

gap74 wrote:From the Glasgow Harbour part of the Clydeport website:

Taking the embanment away will open up the waterfront and the Glasgow harbour site, and create a much strongder link between Glasgow Harbour and Partick.

Business-speak pish.

Why the hell would some yuppie who's paid £300,000 for a riverside shoebox
want to go for a galavant along Dumbarton Road? Junkie Watch?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri May 06, 2005 7:02 am

james73 wrote:
gap74 wrote:From the Glasgow Harbour part of the Clydeport website:

Taking the embanment away will open up the waterfront and the Glasgow harbour site, and create a much strongder link between Glasgow Harbour and Partick.

Business-speak pish.

Why the hell would some yuppie who's paid £300,000 for a riverside shoebox
want to go for a galavant along Dumbarton Road? Junkie Watch?
James H

The Home Brew shop as they can't afford to go out, The Broomhill Shopping Cente to deal their drugs which gave them the money to buy their flat, Roastit Bubbly Jocks for a not too expensive but good meal out, The Rosevale Tavern to meet up with fellow season ticket holders and of course LIDL for their shopping.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Fri May 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
The Home Brew shop as they can't afford to go out, The Broomhill Shopping Cente to deal their drugs which gave them the money to buy their flat, Roastit Bubbly Jocks for a not too expensive but good meal out, The Rosevale Tavern to meet up with fellow season ticket holders and of course LIDL for their shopping.

Why would these prospective riverside apartment dwellers buy a home brew kit with the proceedings of their alleged drug dealing activities and then dine out and finish an evening off in a pub ? A contradiction or two there Dex.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby adouglasmathie » Tue May 10, 2005 4:16 pm

The current cyclepath from town out to Scotstoun is a joke. Ideally it should all be along the banks of the Clyde.

However, the worst bit is the pedestrian bridge over the expressway which is just not bike friendly.

So some of this sounds like a good idea.

Presumably, new flats only get planning permission if they open up public/bike access to the water front. Can anyone in GCC planning confirm this is right.
adouglasmathie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Cycle path part removed

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun May 29, 2005 4:47 pm

The domolition of the cycle path has started. South Street, west of Harmsworth Street has already been flattenned along with the Harmesworth bar.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Sun May 29, 2005 10:32 pm

Some bumff came though the letterbox the other day describing the road works for the harbour. It shows a "proposed light rapid transit route" running immediately South of, and parallel to, Castlebank St., then apparrently running along an extended Castlebank St., and the disappearing past Yorkhill Quay. Whether this is the end of of the line, it goes into a tunnel, or this is simply the result of some cooncil bureaucrat drawing random railway tracks on the map in felt-tip pen after a particularly heavy bevvy session is not clear.

What is clear though is the sheer fluorescent idiocly of the cooncil in allowing railway land to be taken over for the Glasgow Harbour project, while blathering on about developing a rapid transit/guided bus system. Common sense would of course dictate using the existing embankment, Partick Central site, etc. for light rail. But common sense and Glasgow City Council are like matter and anti-matter - incapable of existing in the same universe.
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:35 pm

Wholesale demolition of the former railway bridges now in full swing on the cycletrack on South Street.

Old Station about to disappear

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)