More Pie in the Sky

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: We all pay tax.

Postby Apollo » Fri May 06, 2005 11:59 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:"Roads are paid for by ALL road users"

Aye right! Substitute "tax" for "road" and get it right.

I can't make sense of the substitution (did you mean "Taxes" for "Roads) :(

Can you rephrase please?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Fri May 06, 2005 1:14 pm

StevenJ wrote:to quote the evening times:

"VISION for guided buses to operate on a special Clydeside roadway, running from Central Station to Partick, by the end of 2007"

Why would people use a "guided" bus when there is a PREFECTLY adequate rail systems to convey passengers between exactly the same points?

That was my initial reaction. However, I believe the article stated that the busway would serve places not (conveniently) accessible by rail or subway. e.g. the numerous development projects on the riverside.

StevenJ wrote:In my opinion schemes like this should not be encouraged, rather discouraged. I'm all for public transport, but there is enough (far too much again IMO) traffic on the roads as it is.

I was under the impression that the busway would be kept segregated from the existing road network, as per the one in Edinburgh. I sure as hell hope they don't try anything on Dumbarton Road. :evil:

Captain Brittles wrote:As usual Apollo finds, gets into and 'outs' the facts behind the spin. Nice one (again).

This pic bothers me in that although the principle sounds good - multiple occupancy of a bus, reducing individual vehicle journeys etc. - have a good look at the traffic thats being held up in order that this 'First' bus can speed through. Have a look at the space this guided bus lane is removing from the public highway. It looks very much like a six lane road reduced to two. Roads are paid for by ALL road users. This is not a perfect solution at all in my view but a good one for a private commercial transport company who as I've mentioned in another thread is introducing traffic choking bendi-buses to Glasgow right now.

I'm inclined to agree. If they do insist on constructing a guided busway, it's much better to create a seperate route for it to follow (as is the case in Edinburgh) rather than having it encroach on existing infrastructure.

Cambridgeshire County Council are hell-bent on converting a disused railway line into a guided busway:

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/

Personally I'd rather see it stay a railway line, either as part of the national network or incorporated into some kind of light rail system. There's a campaign against the council's intentions:

http://www.castiron.org.uk/index.php
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Fri May 06, 2005 10:50 pm

Post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby highlander » Fri May 06, 2005 11:30 pm

The Edinburgh Guides bus way is crap!

The time saved for the buses is hardly much at all.
The cost of the project was sky high meaning the cost of time saved per miles is very very high!

Anyone going from the city center to Partick or beyond knows what the buses are like, always standing still in traffic. Therefore this area needs a faster way to let buses though. BINGO a bus way will do the trick.

Someone else has all ready posted how bus ways work so I won't try and explain again.

Interestedly First bus never took part in the Edinburgh bus way despite being there at the start of the project, once they found out the proper plans for the project they pulled out. If I find the statement later I will post it to the group. It would have been a waste of time and money for them.

Al
highlander
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)