Pearce Institute Govan

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Pearce Institute Govan

Postby escotregen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:48 pm

I was facilitating at a social enterprise session in the Pearce Institute today - WOW. Whenever I go into that building it is just so egotistical self assured Victoriana. To think that this was a local community facility build in the heyday of Britain's Imperial dominance. When I found myself lost (twice) in some of the deep long pasageways I thought 'I'm going to see the ghost of RLS or Dickens or some one like that pass me by.

At one point I did hear ghostly echoes - but then I realised it was just the fading reverberations from Molindar's Govan Festival performance.

There are seemingly still great plans ahead for securing significant funding for this unique building... saved by local community action (and a fiesty District Councillor) from certain closure at least once in very recent years.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:42 pm

I gather that GCC are considering making the heart of Govan a conservation area. Why this didn't happen in the early 70's when they set up the other areas on the back of Lord Esher's report I don't know but it was a major over sight when you look at photographs of the town centre prior to comprehensive redevelopment. The quality of the townscape was second to none and the Pearce Institute slotted right in there. There are still good pieces of townscape and architecture left but the roads department appears to have done its upmost to obliterate any notion of sense of place Govan had. It is a tribute to the strength of Victorian and Edwardian design that they have not entirely succeeded. Still can't get my head around how anyone could have consciously designed the new town centre?! Is any wonder the population dropped from 80,000 to around 20,000? The cooncil, at the time, really let Govan down.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Yes and the continuing problem is that the whole Govan locality seems still mired in a particularely persistent tendency to turf wars and power struggles. Somehow there does not seem to be any gelling of the diverse groups and agencies for the greater benefit of Govan.

However, I should say that there is an appreciable number of unsung heroes (individuals and organisations... and a few private companies... and I think that the community level efforts of Rangers FC would surprise some folks as much as it surprised me). They are still doggedly working away. With the change in Council leadership and the inrush of development investment maybe Govan's time is coming again. Certainly the outgoing Council leader with his Partick/West End focus was no great friend of Govan
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Sun May 01, 2005 1:58 pm

The 1970's were the worst decade of the twentieth century for Glasgow. The pace of destruction accelerated after Esher, it wasn't halted till attitudes changed in the early 80's.

Govan wasn't actually as badly hit as other areas, large bits of it remain, low grade early Victorian tenements were smashed but later Edwardian banks and tenements remain, the Underground atation was expanded and the trading estate at least brought jobs. Even if the excremental shopping centre and arcane system of roundabouts, do their best to mess things up.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Molendinar » Mon May 02, 2005 1:24 pm

Yeah,
I thought the pearce institute wasa truly amazing building. Very initmidating for a first gig, but amazing nonetheless.

Just got a hold of a proper vidoe of the gig we played, so I might have some decent non garbled footage of the stage area soon on my pc.

M
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Sat May 07, 2005 10:41 am

I used to go to clubs and play football in the PI as a lad, always liked it.
Here are some pics from when i dropped in last doors open day.
The place is slowly being restored, but there are obvious signs of wear and tear throughout.

Some external detail

This sign explains its origin

Upstairs, there is a little theatre which can be hired

And the fireplace in that room

The McLeod Hall

And the pipe organ which dominates the stage area

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)