Govan Lyceum Regeneration

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lyceum Cinema

Postby + 1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 pm

peter wrote:Have just heard through the grapevine. (unconfirmed) that the old Lyceum Cinema is to become a Mosque.
As an ex- Govanite the idea appalls me. What next. Wil we all become ragheads?. I hate to be totally un PC and say . Enoch Powell was DEAD right. No doubt by sticking my head above parapet the PC lovies will crucify me but at my age I dont give a damn.

Come on do you not think that it is better to use a building that is on the risk register for another purpose. We know what Glasgow Council usually do and just let it get knocked down.
+ 1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Lyceum Cinema

Postby Josef » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:53 pm

peter wrote:Have just heard through the grapevine. (unconfirmed) that the old Lyceum Cinema is to become a Mosque.
As an ex- Govanite the idea appalls me. What next. Wil we all become ragheads?. I hate to be totally un PC and say . Enoch Powell was DEAD right. No doubt by sticking my head above parapet the PC lovies will crucify me but at my age I dont give a damn.

Did you become a compulsive gambler when they were being turned into Bingo Halls?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Cinema to star in £20,000 Govan revamp

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:12 pm

C'mon peter. it could be worse. it could be a drop in centre for the retarded. You still use that word?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:37 pm

I was on the roof of the Lyceum today with the New owners and prospective developers, definetly wont be a Mosque or flats thats for sure.

Will keep you all posted of whats happening in the future as i am involved with the project. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Fantastic image Mori :)
The building is in safe hands with you involved... can you email me a high-res version we can steal for our website ?

Cheers,

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Sent Nodrog. 8)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi Mori, thats good that the cinema has a future, I suppose its too much to hope for being used again as a cinema???
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 pm

norman mcnamee wrote:Hi Mori, thats good that the cinema has a future, I suppose its too much to hope for being used again as a cinema???
Bye for now, norrie

The upper circle is certainly being considerd to be kept as is norrie, with retaining the original seating and art deco interior, it all depends on whats feasible in the end.

Early days...lets see what transpires. :wink:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Mori, as you say time will tell, too many of these old cinemas in Glasgow and the rest of the UK ,have been demoloished
The Multiplexes have a great varity of films and are comfortable but there is something about an older cinema
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AzimScot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 pm

I think this is definitely a positive move for the Govan area. There will be a demand for sure not just for those who grew up going there, but tourists and those involved with TV/film. I remember watching Tom & Jerry in the transport museum old cinema and it was a right good laugh and a better sense of community rather than the huge multiplexes nowadays where you can't find your seat half the time, would like to see more of the traditional cinemas back.
AzimScot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 am

The thing is do any of you go to the cinema. I'm there about three times a year. GFT, Grosvenor of choice and whatever it's called on the site of the Apollo when necessary. I'm thinking about heading through to Bo'ness for the Hippodrome but I've been thinking that since it re opened. As with a number of places discussed on here use it before you lose it rather than moaning online should be followed.

If you don't go why should anyone else.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 am

Hi Dexter st Clair, dont forget the newly opened former Regal in Leven , its ran by a committee
I did hear mind you there had been a fall out with one of the committee who just happned to be the projectionist, they have had to emply a projectionist
Sometimes ruling by committeee is not a good thing

Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 pm

the lyceum,opened as long ago as 1899 as the lyceum music hall.it became a full time cinema in 1923,but was destroyed by fire in 1937.designed by c.j.mcnair is one of the finest remaining examples of its kind.2,600 seats.added to the voges 2,500 seater in langlands rd and the elders 1,100 seater govan could seat 8,500 seats at each performance.considering the fact that the lyceum was the largest of all,it survived the longest,closing as a complete cinema in 1974.the cinema re opened later that year as the citys first cine bingo.the cinema,housed in half of the old balcony area and seating just 480 closed in 1981 before becoming a bingo hall....taken from the book the cinemas of cinema city by t louden 1983.a fantastic we book full of photos and facts about glasgows cinema heritage.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi banjo, I agree, that was my first book on Glasgow cinemas, the next one I bought was Bruce Peter 100 years of Glasgows Amazing Cinemas, that wwas a great help to me in finding cinemas in glasgow I could photograph
Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 pm

norman mcnamee wrote:Hi banjo, I agree, that was my first book on Glasgow cinemas, the next one I bought was Bruce Peter 100 years of Glasgows Amazing Cinemas, that wwas a great help to me in finding cinemas in glasgow I could photograph
Bye for now, norrie

I take it that you have checked out the Scottish Cinema sites in the signature of our Nodrog (as per the post above-ish).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)