Govan Lyceum Regeneration

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Govan Lyceum Regeneration

Postby Mori » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 am

http://www.markorange.com/toor.html

Toor o' Fable, 1997

Installation with 9 minute audio piece, portable radio, color photograph

This piece focused on a 1930's Art Deco cinema in Govan, Glasgow. It consisted of three elements: an actor reading from a 1938 newspaper report on the then new cinema; an interview with Bill Armit, a local architect, that scrutinizes the building's current semi-derelict state; and a recording of a roundtable discussion focusing on the cinema with the Govan Reminiscence Group, a local oral history group. The work attempted to set up a series of open questions about time and memory, the built form and heritage, restoration and value.

The edited audio featured music from John Cage's 'Etudes Australes' (1974) and replayed in the cafeteria at the Pearce Institute, the nearby community center that was hosting the exhibition, through a radio displayed next to a photograph of the cinema's exterior that had been digitally manipulated to distort its shape and intensify its colours.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Mori, that was interesting, is there any chance of the Lyceum being reopened in any form?

The Olympia at Bridgeton Cross, has been demolished and rebuilt including the original facade and will be used as a library Media Centre, Offices and a Boxing club, some members of 'The Other Place' and Glescapals got a tour around the Olympia a few weeks ago

Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:03 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 am

norman mcnamee wrote:Hi Mori, that was interesting, is there any chance of the Lyceum being reopened in any form?

The Olympia at Bridgeton Cross, has been demolished and rebuilt including the original facade and will be used as a library Media Centre, Offices and a Boxing club, some members of 'The Other Place' and Glescapals got a tour around the Olympia a few weeks ago

Bye for now, norrie

Hi Norie,yes lots happening behind the scenes. The architects are working on plans at the moment and we will be submitting a planning application in the comming weeks. :D We also have had lots of interest from Glasgow Life , Creative Scotland ,several GGC Councilors and DRS officers and many other government agencies that would like to partner up with this wonderful building and its projects... i will post up plans on our website when they come availble. http://lyceumglasgow.com/
We also have a new member on our team that is guiding us on this regeneraton project,person is a real inspiration and will bring us a lot of postive prospects on redeveloping the Lyceum Govan :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 am

Hi Mori, great news, any chance of a visit before they do any serious remedial work inside?
Glad to hear its not going to de demolished

Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Dexter ST Clair, I should have realised this thread had been running for a while but its a long time since the idea was first aired
It would be great if it was returned to being a cinema, even a smaller one included in a development
The Olympia will not have any cinema included but there will be photos and other memrobilia in the entrance

Bye for now, norrie
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Great cinema was the lyceum. As a govan boy i was well used to going there even though i lived a bit closer to the vogue which was also cheaper or if i had nae money it would have to be the Elder which was a fleapit but you could usually slip in through a side exit which was always left open to let the smell oot. The Plaza was just a bit further up govan road but it was never as popular except for winching couples as it was a lot quieter :roll: Me and my pals would come out of the Lyceum and go across to geraldos cafe for sweets then aff hame......Great times at the auld flicks...and in those days you got two pictures to see as well
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Mori, it would be nice to see the cinem looking like that but showing films
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:45 pm

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norman mcnamee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi Robert Pool, nice one
As much as I appreciate the new complex's I much prefer the old style cinemas
Bye for now, Norrie
norman mcnamee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:00 am

BBC Alba are asking for Govanites/Glaswegians to be interviewd for their An La news programme,for a short news report on their Memories of the Lyceum Govan, if anyone is interested Please get in touch with [email protected]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00drynf

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)