Govan Lyceum Regeneration

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nodrog » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:36 pm

Got the chance to have a look round the bingo portion of the building today. Despite appearances from the outside, the inside is in not bad nick, and appears dry and watertight at least.

Also, from a letter in today's ET:
Although I don't live in Govan these days, I'll be keeping an eye on the Lyceum to make sure it doesn't "go on fire" in the way that so many landmark buildings do when they prove too expensive or too awkward to adapt for community use.

Full letter here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/opinion/7025190.html
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:37 am

Couple of nice shots from yesterday, courtesy of Gap74:

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:27 pm

how do you people get to look around places of interest like this?

I'm sure that most people here would give their eye teeth for a last look before the inevitable fire..........
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Uggyy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:19 pm

It was the 1st cinema I ever went too.

I think I was about 4 or 5 and seen Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, I can still remmber it... Hope somethings positive is the outcome. :-(
All the Best,

Tommy
Uggyy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gap74 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:14 pm

StevenJ wrote:how do you people get to look around places of interest like this?

I'm sure that most people here would give their eye teeth for a last look before the inevitable fire..........

In this specific case, Gala Bingo opened it up for a few interested potential purchasers to have a poke around, and one of those was someone we know who is sympathetic to our cause and knew how keen we were to look around!

As for other such places, the best results generally come from just asking, which is sometimes effective in even the most surprising of cases! As I'm sure others on these forums will testify, though, there are many alternatives, utilising guile, cunning, friendly councillors, a giant pair of balls sometimes, and maybe a liberal interpretation of certain grey areas of the law...
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brenmacneil » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:00 pm

[quote="nodrog"]We've just updated our website with a bunch of photos of the Lyceum...

hi nodrog and Gap74, its been a while since i logged in here but will be back more often now i think

those are fantastic pictures of the old Lyceum, i never knew it, but i feel like i do seeing those pics (from both of the cinemas websites)

at long last i finally got into a show at the ABC this week (Level 42) i was so impressed going up the starcase that the floor of the main landing (that led to the stalls) has had its tiled floor left intact, i recall that folks didnt know it was there until the fire of 92 and then getting int othe main hall and realising that it has been orietated back to front with e the bar being at the screen end of ABC1 and the new stage being at the back of the hall (probably in fact levelled into where the crush hall had been?) t oquote Level 42 "looking back is so bizarre" but on this occasion i am happy

not least cos staff from the Odeon laughed at our closure, now they have gone and ABC lives on albeit in another form

please get in touch sometime if you still want to hear more memories of the old ABC/Cannon
brenmacneil
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby motman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:24 am

My first trip to the pictures was the Lyceum to watch Hayley Mills in 'The Parent Trap'. My God, ah'm getting auld :cry:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby govanboay » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:01 am

my first trip to the pictures was the Lyceum to see Clash Of The Titans. Then after it was Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Only went twice.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 22, 2007 5:25 pm

Started a project on the Lyceum and how it would look revamped to its orginal glory days, i will come back in time with the full version (i hope)

8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue May 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Good work Mori - looking forward to seeing the finished model!

Here's a pic of it looking a bit more pristine that at the moment...

Incidentally, it seems the building was sold in January; hence the For Sale signs have come down.

Has anyone heard any info of who has bought it?

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 22, 2007 7:58 pm

The previous owners bought it back cant remember what company it was.

There is a proposal going in from the council but its all hush hush i have heard a rumor, i have tried to get out info from them over the past few weeks but they are sayin nuthin.

Personaly my self would love to see it as a Cinema museum marking the history of Glasgow/Scottish cinemas + a traning centre for up and comming production and acting talent.

No one ever listens to me :cry:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 28, 2007 5:04 pm

A wee bit of progress. :)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue May 29, 2007 12:28 am

Great pictures of Govan's old "Keekum" guys! Visited this cinema lots of times, saw many great pictures there, queued up for hours in all kinds of weather, and listend to all kinds of buskers. It was always a bit of a classy place, and i hope it stays that way.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks Dugald, i myself spent much of my childhood and youth at the Lyceum, i love this particular Cinema because it was part of my life, at least 2 times a week i used to go and watch all the latest movies, laughed and cried in that cinema, to see it going in to deterioration makes me so sad, as i said its B listed and hopefully it will be saved by historic scotland in the future and if it were to be used for something relating to a film production facility for the people of glasgow that would be even more wonderful. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Cinema to star in £20,000 Govan revamp

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Colliers CRE

17932 Glasgow Former County Bingo 908 Govan Road G51 3AF Under offer

Rumour I'm Hearing is Govan Housing Association has put the offer in.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)