Universities impact on Glasgow neighbourhoods

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Universities impact on Glasgow neighbourhoods

Postby escotregen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:20 pm

I was reading this rather heavy article (see link below) on Universities and Urban Planning in USA and it reminded me of being at event in Strathclyde University last Saturday (no, not the Student Union bar). I was struck by the huge disparity between the course of development at Strathclyde Uni and Glasgow Uni. Both universities stretched outwards in cramped, densely developed , inner city neighbourhoods.
The outcome has been in Strathclyde's case a modern, modulated and fairly integrated campus that has replaced a previously run-down, mixed use neighbourhood - working class housing and community infrastructure seem to have been the casualties.
In the case of the University of Glasgow the outcome seems to have been an unattractive and disparate collection of mostly unrelated buildings - some of which are pretty awful examples of 60s and early 70s designs and constructions. This has left much of the earlier community infrastructure in place, and there is a character about the neighbourhood that does not exist around Strathclyde.
Having also studied at both, I have to say that the physical facilities in Strathclyde were far superior to Glasgow's.
Dunno if this is all right and fair, but it came to mind.
http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2005/03/20/universities_are_the_new_city_planners/
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:25 pm

I think your comments are very fair.

I studied at Strathclyde, and have only attended a few courses at Glasgow. I've probably spent more time in the Hunterarian and art galleries in reality.

Other than the union in John St, I'd say there wasn't much a social feeling around the campus, though I did feel there was/is more of an atmosphere around the area of Glasgow uni.

Maybe it's a function of Strathclyde's location in the city centre, where you can't wind down peacefully in the same way you can at Glasgow, with the housing and park nearby. Only a personal thought with nothing other than gut feeling to base it on.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby excoriate » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:26 pm

Strathclyde only has a few attractive buildings from many, Royal College and the SIBS building, the rest are attrocious. Especially the Coulville building with its lego like structure with cold bridges (girders covered in concrete sticking out of the building which then because of the structure bring the cold in along the other steel girders, do I make sense? heh..).... Coulville is the engineers base, it will have to be knocked down in a few years because of structural flaws.

(I'm a Strathy student just in case I seem harsh)
excoriate
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:25 am

Thought this monster might get a mention 8O

Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mustardman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:33 pm

Don't know, I haven't really thought of Strathclyde as an eye sore? However, there has been a big change in terms of development about that area in recent years...especially the M8 for one! However, best times I've had has been at the union in John St. I grew up in Kelvinhaugh, and have had many a good time in Ashton Lane, never really ventured to G.U. or QM for some reason :?

Strathclyde is a modern uni, so I don't expect alot in terms of architecture..glasgow uni is nice though
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Seamey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:52 pm

The Student Union in John St was built on the condition that it could be flexible enough to convert into teaching accommodation. There is an extension to the side, which explains the odd floor numbering system.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Modernhousing » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:13 pm

I had the honour and privilege to attend both esteemed establishments as well as pick up a few degrees along the way. I remember spending very llong nights in the Glasgow library and looking out the windows across Glasgow. It made me realise how wonderful our city can be. I am sure I read it most recently both unis are about to embark on a massive development program on some of the major buildings.
Modernhousing
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:39 pm

Hmm, - one bit of embarrassment at the Saturday session was at in Strathclyde was when I asked what the Universitry was doing in a 'pro-active' way about the the serious alcohol macho problem that Strathclyde (no doubt in commom with all Scottish Universities) had. Throughout the afternoon presentations there had been polite 'knowing' references to the student acute drinking culture problem - and the 'fact' that the Student Union bar was at the centre of it all. This was all very amusing untill I raised my question about " what are you doing about Scotland's national addiction probem at your institution"... and then I was awfully enbarrassed about the awfull embarrassment I had caused everyone by even raising this.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rmclaggan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:41 am

I can safely say that Glasgow Uni don't really like occupying all of the houses on the north side of University Avenue. Estates Strategy is aimed at developing the Western Infirmary site once vacated and leaving the more residential property gradually. One of the main problems with the GU estate is it's location. Mass development is near on impossible in most cases other than that already carried out in the 50-60s, mainly due to the large number of listings in the area- not a bad thing.

There are huge, if a little parochial, communities within the GUU and QMU and these are rare in that they are student unions that run at a surplus... As the student bodies at Glasgow Uni go- watch this space.
rmclaggan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Modernhousing » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:49 am

Everyone is well aware of the drinking culture associated with all unis in Scotland. I am sure AA and other support services are involved to tackle the problem of Scotlands "drink culture".
Modernhousing
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Monument » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:16 pm

A fairly massive redevelopment plan was revealed a couple of months ago at Strathclyde. I don't remember all the details and I think it it still under consultation, but I believe the Livingstone Tower (big orange building on George St) and possibly also Collins and McCance buildings, which are the two next to Livingstone, are to be demolished and replaced. I think Colville is safe though. I suspect the temporary park on the site of the old maternity hospital will probably be built on too. I will have a hunt round my office and see if I can't rediscover the information we received on this.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mpcsmith » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:05 pm

strathclyde is also to get a new sports center apparently. it will be squeezed onto the piece of landscaped lawn between the lord todd building and cathedral street, right next to the library. developments are supposedly going to be unhampered by the fire at the sports facilities at the jordanhill campus. the space its going into is pretty tight and it will be a shame to lose this piece of greenery. i find it that the buildings allready there are alot less imposing with the lawn and trees to soften the space between them and the road. it will be a shame to lose them.
mpcsmith
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Monument » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:08 pm

Here is a link to a video which includes a simulation of what the Strathclyde campus will look like after the redevelopment.

http://video.strath.ac.uk/streams/Unive ... pmentT.wvx
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:01 pm

Nah.

The "gardens" are a waste of space. Nobody's going to want to sit next to traffic clogged Cathedral street.

Greenery and buildings should be distinct, it increases the impact of both. The fantastic new garden on the site of Rottenrow is an example of this.

I believe Page and Park are responsible for the designs, the Faculty of Education and McCance building are particularly impressive.

Thanks for the link.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Universities impact on Glasgow neighbourhoods

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:14 am

A lot of Strathclyde's redevelopment plans are a load of hot air though IMHO, having been a former student and employee and listened to the rumour mill from inside. The sports centre building has been talked about since the early 2000s....now it is put off until 2014.

They've spent a fortune putting in a new teaching cluster into Graham Hills/Marland House - then an architect's drawing gets released of a shiny new building standing on the site....don't think so somehow. Same with the Livvy and the McCance - my reckoning is that lot will still be there for a long time to come. Same with the TIC complex on Albion Street - they are doing all the design work at the moment, but still no sign of any construction starting even though it was announced at a big glitzy ceremony with Mr Salmond and co.....
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)