The days of CB radio, who was...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The days of CB radio, who was...

Postby easterhouse » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:12 pm

wow, great topic!
I just bought a rig from fleabay to see what it was like now!
It arrived today so we shall see what happens.
I was on AM then FM in the 70/80's in Easterhouse handle was hypnotist hahahaha.
I remember Silly Billy and a few others and the noise ups that were to be had.
I will post back and let you know how it is now.

Cheers :mrgreen:
easterhouse
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby big jim » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:44 am

8O 8O i just dug my rig and power pack out this week then read this 8)

im only a youngling was on the rig early 90`s thru till about 97-98ish
home 20 was maryhill (summie) handle was scatman, big sister was blondie maryhill,dazed and confused
hotwheels, maggie tin drawers, cemtex, mega bitch.....always remember the possil breakers that sat on 9
in perticular poco wi his roger beeps and that fcuking echo :x always remember the wind up merchant bob the snob fae bearsden and some of the great drummy breakers davy bob marley man.......... god dammit im gonna find me a mag mount ::):

10/10 till we do it again..............roger and oot :P
big jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Does anyone remember a guy by the handle of Charlie Endel Esq. had a very deep voice ,swore on every second word and hurled abuse at everyone he talked to... i think he was from milngavie/ bearsden or somewhere around that area.

A real hoot he was during the mid 80's :D

Also a female by the handle of the Black pirate had the most sexiest voice i'd ever heard, from Erskine i think, had the pleasure of eyballing her once, her voice matched her outlook V V V sexy indeed alomost like kiera knightly but with a bigger gusset. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby curly sue » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:15 pm

on the side, on the side, legs eleven fae pollok here gony someone bring me in.

OMG how good it is to hear those words again, what fun, I havent been on since the 90s, does anyone remember big tom bounty hunter fae corkerhill, or the green giant and rouge trooper fae castlemilk, how a miss those days.
ma set up was a silver star, magnum 23ft pole and a sedelta echo desk mike, among many others, still have ma pole and mike but sadly ma rig gave up the ghost, now have a wee midland somewhere packed away.

anyway 10/10 till a catch you again, and a "wah ding ding" that was the way I signed off, roger and out.
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Holloway » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 am

Hi guys, my first posting here, so be gentle with me :)

I've been lurking about after finding this site by mistake, and been reading a lot of the posts. This one brought back a lot of memories in particular as I was a big CBer in the illegal days, when, in my opinion, it was more fun.

My "handle" was Freebird (coz I liked the Skynrd song) from Garngad, my cousin was Rainbow Warrior from Sighthill, not because of Greenpeace, but because he was right into Rainbow. Then there was Snoopy and the Big Gas Meter from Garngad, Red Hot Rosie from Fernhill, who had a wonderful chest that I had the pleasure of playing with on a few occasions.

And what about the guy who used to take confessions every Friday night, I think he was from Townhead.

I used to DX frequently and the furthest I got was Taiwan, which I was very proud of as I had made my own arial :)

PS, I also remember Charles Endell Esq, a very funny guy if I remember right
I'm just a guy from THE Garngad
Holloway
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vintagebuff » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Been on the rig since 79. Still got one in the car. Never go anywhere without it. 82 started the decline in CB when it was legalised. Just about all the nuggets today make 19 unuseable as a breakin channel but back in the day it was a mobile contact channel. Most of the truckers use their own channels but if you know where to find them you can have a good laugh.

Still put the odd shout out on 14 and sometimes I'm amazed at who gets back, breakers that haven't been heard for years. kilmarnock used to use 35 as the breakin channel and I think Arran breakers used 25. Pre 82 there were so many breakers that 15,16,17,18 etc were all used as breakin channels.

Still got my first AM chickenbox. Finally started using FM rigs about 84/5 but by that time it was starting to decline due to the amount of wee pr/<ks causing hassle. Before 82 it was self policing around here and no abuse was tolerated. If the powers that be had just left it the way it was or legalised it without telling anyone then went after the mic keyers, music players and generally abusive minority then I think the bands would be a lot busier than they are today.

Didn't get many Glasgow copies from Beith as you couldn't get much further than Lochwinnoch in that direction but north, west and south I could get much further. Also used to laugh at the so called experts that were claiming they could get 8 - 15 watts from a chicken box when about 95% of them couldn't be peaked above 4.5 - 5 watts and the rest wouldn't go much above 6 watts.

Now a multimode or bander with a 02A pll or a uPD858 with a 1306 O/P driver and 1307 final and a few good broadbanding and power mods and the skys the limit.

A few of the more prominent Ayrshire breakers over the years were Mary /White Orchid/ from Fenwick, Clifford /Methusala from Killie, Scot /Street fighter from Patna, John /White Stallion from Dalry, Ann /Hot Lips all now sadly departed. Iain /Broken Bottle from Beith, Ina /Lady Jester from irvine, John /Gizmo Kilbirnie, Davy /Screwdriver from Beith originally but now from newton Mearns to name but a few. Then you have the eagle squadron who I think were the Chivas Regal drivers, the 633 Squadron and of course the Yuille and Dodds Kamikazi drivers on the coal run to Hunterston during the miners strike on ch7.

For those of you who do a bit of dxing and noticed the lack of activity on the bands read this:-

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... t-mys.html

Makes interesting reading since everyones jumping on the global warming bandwagon.

10-10 till we do it again

Simon The Mariner.
Vintagebuff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nonniesmummie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:33 am

Hi there I definitely remember the CBs.
We stayed in the milk rate in the sky (Castlemik for those who dont know), my dad was Albatross, my mum was Snowbird I was juicy Lucy cant remember what my brothers handle was. :P
Our house was always full of people from the CB and the custom car clubs of the time,
People from the CB included Huggy Bear, Zebedee, K9, Jolly Roger, Mr Chips, Black Velvet and countless others. Far too many to remember I was young at the time. :D
Definitely brings back lots of memories for me. ::):
nonniesmummie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey vintagebuff

You remember a lot of the people I knew then, a couple of them friends. It's strange to think how many people were on the CB compared to what you hear now if you turn one on.

I repaired CBs in the Irvine - Kilwinning - Saltcoats - Ardrosan and Cumnock area for a few years. I made a lot of good friends on it over the years, some I still keep in touch with. I don't live in Irvine now but I hear there's still a few people on the air there? It would be nice to think that one day people would use radio again, it has a more personal touch than the PC being that your talking to locals most of the time. Ok there were the numpties yes but you get that anywhere, but it was free to use and no virus checker needed!

I still have an old audioline home base rig next to my PC here. Not that there's much traffic on it nowadays but I still turn it on now and again for a listen.

It would be nice to hear from any old Irvine - Ardrossan - Saltcoats - Kilwinning and Cumnock Cbers again if any of you read this. Get your box out of the loft and turn it on! :)

Mantis
Mantis
Just settling in
Just settling in

The days of CB radio, who was...

Postby ruby ruchazie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:17 pm

does anyone remember ruby ruchazie?????????????

i remember loads of ppl onit. amanda sweet sensation, shanny,michelle. cambie mob, possil mob,,,

and even the springburn cunts..........
ruby ruchazie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jazzsinger » Thu May 20, 2010 11:55 pm

mustardman wrote:...once on it, and what was your handle? I was Mr. Nutz, fae Knightswood! I still have a book somewhere with a list of handles about the city, like Bob the Snob from Bearsden, Big Bomber from Haghill, Midnight Toker from Knightswood, Captain Mustard from Yoker....will look for it! Good wee hobby when I was younger.

it was colonel mustard (ian) from yoker
i remember a guy (matt) yoker toker but not a midnight toker from knightswood.i was jazzsinger knightswood.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby Jazzsinger » Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 pm

big/davie wrote:
ramor69 wrote:
big/davie wrote:mine used to be italian stalion,please don't ask and no i aint hung like a horse :oops: had a wee amstrad 901(remember them)then moved up in the world and bought a rotel jvc 240 also had couple of wee midland rigs too,we used to nick the taxi ariels and sell them to people who had just bought cb's(sorry i was young and enterprising :oops: )although they were crap and hardly worked.

had a big silver rod on top of a scaffy pole on the roof and was loved by my neighbours ::): used to go to the famous car park in the sky and always took a wee 200watt burner with us and used a K40 mag mount on the car,everyone also loved us when we used that ::): sadly this was all many years ago,sprogs,women,old age,wrinkles and greying hair has all put a stop to it,but still have a nice wee rig and silver rod in my garage,ahh the memories.

anyone also remember the girls you used to talk to,then arranged an eyeball because they sounded so niceeeee ::): then met them and were errr slightly disapointed 8O ::):

P.S Anyone give me a rig check and how am i hitting you :),great post :wink:

I seem to remember an Itallian Stallion from Ibrox. Was that
your "20" back then? I can recall a few handles from that area,
Doberman, Snowflake, Silver Rod. No doubt more will spring
to mind in the near future. My "20" was Drumoyne, (still is),
and there must have been about 30-40 people from there on
air during the cbing peak. This usually caused total chaos with
everyone bleeding over one another :x Then there was the
neighbours kicking up feck because their tv sets were going
crazy every I keyed the mike. ::): All the Drumoyne
breakers used to meet up at the snack bar at the Texaco
garage on Shieldhall Road at all sorts of hours of the night. I
had a good rummage earlier on and found one of my old
eyeball cards :oops:. I'll take a photo of it tomorrow and
post it.
the guy called "doberman" think his name was alex and silver rod was a guy called stevie and another not to be forgotten was cherry lips,that was girl called maggie,prob know you if you stayed in drumoyne,used to stay at 4 tormore st :)

stevie silver rod,fcuk,ain't argued with him for years,:).
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby Jazzsinger » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 pm

ramor69 wrote:
Jupiter-Returns wrote:Blimey, CB's 'crazy noises and distant voices' ::):

I'd love to get back on one if given the chance. There was a woman round my way when I was wee called 'Mental Lentil' she was on all the time and had some set-up. Anyone remember her? Cardonald?

btw, what does 'an eyeball' mean again...sounds so familiar.

'Side'

'Side'

'Side come in' ::): love it.

Yep, her name was May. She used to let everyone and anyone
into her house. Had some great times there 8O . She used to
stay up the Moss Heights then moved to Queensland Dr.

Eyeball means a meeting which you would usually do after
chatting to someone for a while and getting to know them
a bit, either one to one or in a crowd. Just like the HG
nights out I guess.

Sorry big/davie just saw your last post :roll:

i remember may,stayed across from flats in cardonald,round the corner from janmarie (silver streak i think) her house was seriously busy.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby Jazzsinger » Fri May 21, 2010 12:01 am

YokerBloke wrote:I remember going to Duplikats in Whiteinch around 1982 with my mate who loved CB to get his 'eyeball' cards done. I think he was 'Mr Blue Sky', an ELO fan.

mr blue sky i remember was a guy called alan gibson (gibby) from knightswood.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby Jazzsinger » Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 am

ramor69 wrote:
YokerBloke wrote:I remember going to Duplikats in Whiteinch around 1982 with my mate who loved CB to get his 'eyeball' cards done. I think he was 'Mr Blue Sky', an ELO fan.

I recall Chicken Choker, Judas Priest and Sid Vicious
from your neck of the woods back then.

chicken choker is familiar but can't remember who it was,JP was brian,stayed in primrose st in scotstoun,sid vicious ws billy,stayed next to the swimming baths in whiteinch and is still on the cb from sighthill area,his sister samantha was on the rig too.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re:

Postby Jazzsinger » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 am

YokerBloke wrote:I also vaguely remember one called 'Big Bopper' from Yoker.

big bopper was brian,stayed on dumbarton rd next to plean st flats,last i heard he was living in lincoln flats.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)