The days of CB radio, who was...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The days of CB radio, who was...

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:19 pm

I found the 'rig' to be quite addictive but I have no interest in returning to the by-gone days of 'side side' and 'whit's yer handel?...' I still have my little Midland but gave most of my stuff away, I had a few rigs that were chipped but nothing and one large silverod but that's gone now too.

My friend went on to amateur radio and sat his test for that and now he's off that too because of numpties and abuse on the airwaves. He was so dedicated and commited but one night he'd decided enough was enough and off he went. I

Mind you, I am enjoying this thread and remembering some of the names that came on air. Colonel Mustard, White Satin, Renegade, Undertaker Knightswood (usually burning rubber) and so many others. Good and fun days, and I've still got lots of friends from those days who are now online and off air.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:24 pm

OMG...this thread takes me back.

One four for a Gay Breaker. (For some reason Glasgow used one nine for the truckers channel)
You've got the 'Rubber Truncheon'. ( In a high voice) ::):

I remember it well......The Milk Crate in The Sky..............Castlemilk
The School in the Sky..................Mearns Castle
Oot the caur fur a ten one hundred.......gone for a pee.
A Bucket Mouth.................Someone who swears....we were strict about that.
where the big silvur burds fly....The GAP.....Glasgow Airport

Jaysus, the Busby (GPO) would never work these codes out.

And the Handles....The Mechanic, The Cataloy Kid, The Street.

Ten Roger good buddy

We had meets in Bill Tenant's Hotel in Queens Drive and he laid on chicken in a basket and we all thought we were Burt Reynolds.

It got too busy in the end. Most of us only had 40 channels AM. 120 with a side bander and the airwaves were full of children ' Oan square wheels aun their daddy's rig.'

Happy Days Though

Keep your eyes on the glass
The smokies off your ass
And May all your ups and downs be between the sheets.

Ten Ten breaker break
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dougzo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm

i remember that joe outlaw me and ma mate tam used to have serious signals and would chase him about the band...he would go mental ::): we were moonraker and mc from milngavie...aye the auld rig!!
Dougzo
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re:

Postby puddlesplasher » Sun May 13, 2012 1:30 pm

YokerBloke wrote:I also vaguely remember one called 'Big Bopper' from Yoker.

That was Brian that stayed 2 closes along from Old Charlie that had the Barber shop on Dumbarton Rd facing the Plean St flats.
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby benjibhoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:55 pm

hey guys if anyone wants to join a group on facebook search for cb radio glasgow add yourself and the admin will except wen available
benjibhoy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Godsgift » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 pm

benjibhoy wrote:hey guys if anyone wants to join a group on facebook search for cb radio glasgow add yourself and the admin will except wen available

Tried it out on FB but these are all guys that arrived late on the scene with the legalised FM rigs by which time the airwaves were chocablock with peoples kids. When we were modulating, you could still find a free channel on a 40 channel rig. :wink:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:05 am

Is Pearsons still at the Barras? Even though it's down the road, I've not been that way in years. Do they still sell any CB radios? Thanks!
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby puddlesplasher » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Wallpaper in Pearsons the last time I recall and that was many years ago.

Fleabay has over 2700 hits alone for CBRADIO :wink:
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby screwdriver32 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 am

John screwdriver is still going but no longer on the CB i didn't change my name but started up the SKY DX group which ran from 1996 till 2004, i hope you remembered me for good stuff & not the crap that flew about over the years, many thanks ching ching

Vintagebuff wrote:
Mantis wrote:Hey vintagebuff

You remember a lot of the people I knew then, a couple of them friends. It's strange to think how many people were on the CB compared to what you hear now if you turn one on.

I repaired CBs in the Irvine - Kilwinning - Saltcoats - Ardrosan and Cumnock area for a few years. I made a lot of good friends on it over the years, some I still keep in touch with. I don't live in Irvine now but I hear there's still a few people on the air there? It would be nice to think that one day people would use radio again, it has a more personal touch than the PC being that your talking to locals most of the time. Ok there were the numpties yes but you get that anywhere, but it was free to use and no virus checker needed!

I still have an old audioline home base rig next to my PC here. Not that there's much traffic on it nowadays but I still turn it on now and again for a listen.

It would be nice to hear from any old Irvine - Ardrossan - Saltcoats - Kilwinning and Cumnock Cbers again if any of you read this. Get your box out of the loft and turn it on! :)

Mantis

Forgot about this thread. Mantis is your name Kevin. I remember a John Screwdriver from down Mauchline way, think he changed his handle to Sky1.

A few from the Garnock valley, dougie Golden Bear, wee Linda Shadow, tricia carribean Queen, wullie Rambo, Ewan Night Hawk, Gordon Gopher (still on), grant Bananaman, Tony Spark Plug, Janet Twinkletoes to name but a few.

Come to think of it Mantronix was Kevin ::):

Simon the Mariner.

Should maybe organise an HG CB night or weekend breakathon type thing. The rigs been gathering dust for the last few months while I rebuild the engine in the truck. Snapped the crankshaft and just haven't had the time to refit the rebuilt engine :roll:
screwdriver32
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jazzsinger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 pm

HI Ian Puddlesplasher,hope your well mate,teeth long gone, after you coca cola did the rest :) , pm me,i'll let you know how to contact me, CB Radio Glasgow on FB,is far from new cb'ers, theres a few on from before legilisation,and many from the beginning off it. you never know you might find sum of your old mates, i did,loads eh them and i've been on since 78, and still dx occasionally. Incidentally Brian Big Bopper was active there recently.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jazzsinger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:58 pm

benjibhoy wrote:hey guys if anyone wants to join a group on facebook search for cb radio glasgow add yourself and the admin will except wen available

Bang on !! Theres nowhere on net you'll find more Glaswegian cb'ers,old and new.
Jazzsinger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby puddlesplasher » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:22 pm

All the more reason then for me to open up Facebook. I registered and have never even looked at it :oops:
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)