The days of CB radio, who was...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The days of CB radio, who was...

Postby Rocky Fae Royston » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey Mustard Man, I remember Bob the Snob, I was in his dx group Yankee Zulu. Those were the days... Kind a miss the CB, guess it's not the same now?
Rocky Fae Royston
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby the researcher » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm

we had a cb club here in cupar my handle was space invader our club president was called cowboy he was originally from glasgow was manager of a car accessory shop then he suddenly did a moonlight flit for some reason but think this was shortly before the cb club folded
we had the same problem with muppets using the airwaves as their own personal radio station glenrothes cber's were the worst with swearing etc as we could get glenrothes from here in cupar
anyone remember when the sunspots were up and you could hear people down south and swopped qdx cards furthest i got was the channel islands still have them in a photo album somewhere(i think)
still have my cb but havent had it switched on for years last time i tried it there was noone on channel
friends of mine in dunfermline had a cb when it was still illegal this was around 1980 just before the rules changed i think it was more fun when it was illegal the first xmas when cb was legalised the cb sets flew off the shelves as all the kids wanted one
it was great fun apart from the muppet element who spoiled it for others which i think was the reason for its drop in popularity but now with the internet and facebook etc i think the cb radio is concined to history
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby curly sue » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Hiya I loved my cb was always on it, used to do dxing on my ham radio was amazing talking to people from all over the world used to talk to rouge trooper , big ben arden, tom bounty hunter, cosmic dancer but to name a few. fantastic :D
curly sue
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: using a 12v battery for cb [power

Postby the researcher » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am

ramor69 wrote:My power supply used to be a 12v battery wired up
to a charger which was on constantly. I eventually
burnt a hole through the bedside cabinet and carpet
below with the acid bubbling over. ::):
Was gonna fire the rig up tonight but I've snapped
the mag-mount. :evil: Need to do a bit of soldering
later.

@ big/davie, we'll have to catch up on irc or messenger
sometime and reminisce about the old days. 8O
Knew quite a few folk from Tormore.

Took a photo of my old eyeball card :oops:

a pal of mine he fitted a 12v battery in the basket of his mums raleigh 20 bicycle and made a bracket to mount the cb onto and used to cycle about talking to people on the cb(he didnt have a driving licence at the time) his handle was spark plug as he was an apprentice mechanic
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Robbo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Does anybody remember the guy that went about mainly the Eastend on a gold honda superdream that looked like a goldwing and he had a rig built into it.

And I read about somebody that went about with a bike that had a rig in I think it was a shopping basket well I used to go about when I was about 16yrs old with my rig (Midland 3001 AM) mounted to the handlebars and a big car battery on the rear rack, I got stopped by the polis one morning on my way to work because I had the battery held on securely with bungie cord in those days I never thought of acid burning through the cord and the battery flying off the bike so after getting reprimanded by them I got one of the mechanics to make me a more secure bracket for it.
Robbo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vintagebuff » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Mantis wrote:Hey vintagebuff

You remember a lot of the people I knew then, a couple of them friends. It's strange to think how many people were on the CB compared to what you hear now if you turn one on.

I repaired CBs in the Irvine - Kilwinning - Saltcoats - Ardrosan and Cumnock area for a few years. I made a lot of good friends on it over the years, some I still keep in touch with. I don't live in Irvine now but I hear there's still a few people on the air there? It would be nice to think that one day people would use radio again, it has a more personal touch than the PC being that your talking to locals most of the time. Ok there were the numpties yes but you get that anywhere, but it was free to use and no virus checker needed!

I still have an old audioline home base rig next to my PC here. Not that there's much traffic on it nowadays but I still turn it on now and again for a listen.

It would be nice to hear from any old Irvine - Ardrossan - Saltcoats - Kilwinning and Cumnock Cbers again if any of you read this. Get your box out of the loft and turn it on! :)

Mantis

Forgot about this thread. Mantis is your name Kevin. I remember a John Screwdriver from down Mauchline way, think he changed his handle to Sky1.

A few from the Garnock valley, dougie Golden Bear, wee Linda Shadow, tricia carribean Queen, wullie Rambo, Ewan Night Hawk, Gordon Gopher (still on), grant Bananaman, Tony Spark Plug, Janet Twinkletoes to name but a few.

Come to think of it Mantronix was Kevin ::):

Simon the Mariner.

Should maybe organise an HG CB night or weekend breakathon type thing. The rigs been gathering dust for the last few months while I rebuild the engine in the truck. Snapped the crankshaft and just haven't had the time to refit the rebuilt engine :roll:
Vintagebuff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello Mariner

I remember Kevin (Mantronics) A few years ago now :) I lived in the flats over the road from Castle park at the time. I used to have an antenna on the roof so I got a reasonable signal out. Still in touch with a lot of old CB mates I made over the years. It's been a long time since I moved from Irvine, is anyone left on in the three towns now?

The other Kevin you might have been thinking of was "Tangerine Dream" good guy.

Mantis
Mantis
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby puddlesplasher » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 pm

HI all,

I was The President from Scotstoun. The high-gain Silver Rod sat upon the chimney in Kingsway.

Many a good day and night was had using the rig and just as many good people were met.

The best place to meet them in that area was at The Boundary Breakers CB club. (The old DogWatch pub, Dyke Road).

Jazzsinger how are you if you are still around? Was your front tooth ever replaced after I broke it whilst tossing stones at you from Gary Colins garden over 30 years ago?

So many names have been mentioned over the last 7 pages and I recall lots of them especially Big Bopper (Brian) as he stole TopCat (Karen) from me and had his wicked way.

Then we had Major Tom (T Turnbull) and Hurricane, Minstrel, Sweet Lips, AeroBubble, Cotton Bud, Andy Pandy (cracking "burd" he had, Pauline), yes Italian Stallion was known to me, Sugar and Spice (what a babe) and the list goes on.........

Who remembers the mystery tour to Burntisland? Alex (maestro) ended up cutting off the legs of his jeans to cool down. I recall the dance that we were at in the evening but was that drunk I didnt see any of it and wakened up 2 minutes from the house.....

Oh and as a parting thought, my log in name PuddleSplasher was my wind-up handle ::):
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bod68 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Jeez, C.B radios were the business in the 80's..... Retro chatlines :). ::):

I was Jelly Tot Ibrox... And I used my brothers c.b. He was Wee Nasty Ibrox and he and all his friends would go to the C.B discos in the Grand Ol' Opry. Iwas too young for the discos BooHoo :cry:

I recently went to a reunion organised on Facebook after HG ran the forum on the high risers at Ibrox coming down. Met with loads of old Ibrox people.
One of them; Johnny lived up the flats and could be heard all across Glasgow. He was Captain Caveman...... Then Dillinger. We were laughing about the old c.b radio days.
It wisnae me.....Ask emmdy !!
bod68
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby puddlesplasher » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:26 pm

bod68 wrote:One of them; Johnny lived up the flats and could be heard all across Glasgow. He was Captain Caveman...

I recall someone of that name and considering the distance as the crow flies it could well be the same person :P

Some more from the Scotstoun area, Poison Dwarf (Frankie), Vomitting Dummy.

I am sure we had 2 Sweet Lips, 1 from Knightswood area and the other was Elaine from Drumry. Many years later I was out with a mate cruising when I heard the shouting, "Pressy Baby is that you from days of old?". "Yes", replies I and goes for another eyeball. Oh Boy! should I have stayed where I was.........let the old memories remain :o
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 pm

There was nothing worse than the 'eyeball' especially if the lassie sounded dead sexy on the rig. I remember one that had an almost 'chatline' phone voice, and all the guys imagined this sultry, sexy woman who 'smouldered and pouted.' Then we met her and the reality was very different indeed this was no Marylin Monroe mair like a Munro!

Mind you, didn't matter she was a lovely person and friendships were established and maintained for years after that.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 pm

awwwwwwwwwwwww.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby puddlesplasher » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Many a time I too fell foul of that ::):
puddlesplasher
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kariflin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm

I was on the CB off and on from the early 80's and recently started a facebook page called cb radio glasgow and to my surprise a lot of old cb buddies have joined up, the CB was brilliant back in the day and there are quite a few handles that I remember Stevie Silver Rod was an old mate of mine and my hubby and yes I did meet him 19 yrs ago on the CB, I was part of a double act back then I was Fallen Angel from Milton or AKA Crazey Diamond from Queenspark I went around with Suzi Ice Cube from Milton still do for that matter, through our facebook page we are aiming to get everyone off their couches and back out burning rubber there are a few of us who still have our rigs but it is very quiet so why don't you all join up and we will get that big eyeball up the carpark early next year and lets face it.. its much more fun being out meeting old mates that chatting to them through a screen xx
kariflin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm

It's a great idea and I do still have my rig but I prefer the numpty free environment and the warmth of my settee to sitting up in the carpark in the sky, avoiding the tokers and numpties that attract Strathclyde's finest...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)