Whoops! There goes another one...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Whoops! There goes another one...

Postby nodrog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:30 pm

Probe as builder knocks down art deco garage

A HISTORIC landmark on Glasgow's south side has been unexpectedly demolished.
The art deco-style frontage of the former Wylies garage - seen as historically important by experts - has been destroyed.
The Pollokshaws Road site is currently being cleared by Glasgow developers Westpoint Homes to build 336 flats.
Planning chiefs had previously ordered part of the eye-catching facade should be retained or moved to another place in the development.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5036500.html
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:34 pm

Couldent believe my eyes when I got back to Glasgow on Monday Gordon! The demolition crews had worked round the faceade the whole time they were there and all that was left last Friday when i passed was the deco frontage, sitting neatly amidst piles of rubble and steel. Passed it Monday, and there was feck all! I hope someone gets a kick in the baws!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:16 pm

But just think, it will be replaced by beautiful monoblock, lego type flats (oozing sarcasm)

A case of act now, take the consequences later. :x
You Stay Classy, San Diego
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:19 pm

Now now, I'm sure they followed official procedure in such cases.

"Er, hello, is that Building Control? We'd like to knock a historic building down please?"

"Couldn't you keep the facade?"

"Well, we were told to but now we've decided we can't really be bothered."

"Oh well, fair enough then...."
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:33 pm

beautiful monoblock, lego type flats

Sounds like those new flats opposite Govan shipyard :?
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:59 pm

There was a ruling for facade retention. Obviously it was not enforced and this happens often. To make the ruling work a significant bond must be placed or this type of renegeing on contractual agreements will continue. The amount of the bond must be sufficiently high or the builders, developers, speculators will regard it as a service fee. Many times a facade cane be incorporated into the new building with significant and satisfactory results. To me the facade must be retained even if the internals of the building are not. The old internals are not suitable for living or commercial modern use.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Targer you spot on, another Glasgow example of the Local Authority failing in its stewardship. Why do I feel this type of cock-up just would not happen in Edinburgh? And why do I already feel that there is little prospect that anyone in Glasgow will be brought to account for it?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:56 pm

Frankly, I am surprised that a significant bond be posted has not been a requirement for some time. Frequently these builders,developers and speculators iqnore the requirement of facade retention and demolish with no penalty. In a listed building or one with significant architectural details the minimum requirement should be facade retention. Of course the internals of the building will have to be changed as the divisions/room arrangement are not viable for modern living or commerse. The media could help the cause by pointing out each instance of violating the facade retention clause. I do hate people who renage on a contract.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:18 pm

Ronnie and I spotted a fire there about a month ago from the Necropolis.
I guess they were going to demolish this one way or another,
I think there might be a pattern forming here......Fire........demolition :cry:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:33 pm

Yeah this was very cynical. Saw them removing the art deco lights last week and assumed this was for safe keeping, then it turns out the contractors had concluded that these were the only part of the building it was feasible to save! Aye right! Who the f**k are they kidding? As Crusty said they worked around that facade for weeks! More likely it was that they knew it wasn't listed so other than the requirements of the planning consent, which made it clear it had to stay, they were not under any obligation to retain it. Feeling a bit let down by Historic Scotland here as I don't doubt for a minute that if it was in Edinburgh it would have been at least 'Cs' listed. Wasn't an outstanding art deco facade by any stretch but it did add something to the locale and it would have been a no brainer to incorporate it into the new scheme. If it was in the west end someone would have snapped it up as a deli by now but sadly its in Eglinton toll so doubtless the developers just saw it as a problem and not an opportunity.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:03 pm

Targer wrote:Frankly, I am surprised that a significant bond be posted has not been a requirement for some time. Frequently these builders,developers and speculators iqnore the requirement of facade retention and demolish with no penalty. In a listed building or one with significant architectural details the minimum requirement should be facade retention. Of course the internals of the building will have to be changed as the divisions/room arrangement are not viable for modern living or commerse. The media could help the cause by pointing out each instance of violating the facade retention clause. I do hate people who renage on a contract.

Good call, but I take a slightly simpler and more strict approach:

You knocked it down, you rebuild it... Asshole.

That should see an end to this illegal and annoying practice.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:34 pm

Fab wee building that one. TG I’ve got plenty of photos of the location.
I really thought that was being kept.

Pri*ks

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby rmclaggan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:46 pm

I'm not sure how the law works on this in Scotland, however when I used to live in the lake district there was a building 'accidentaly' knocked down by developers when they were carrying out a conversion of an old house into a hotel.

The local authority ended up demanding that it be rebuilt as was using the same methods and materials as before- very costly to the developer. I'm not sure whether this could be enforced in these circumstances though even if the council had the political will to do so. Any ideas?
rmclaggan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:09 pm

Thelocal authorites do have the power enforce a re-instatement act for listed buildings, Im not sure how that would apply to an un-listed structure such as Wylies?

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby lordsleek » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:08 am

There was an unlisted powder house on the old Bothwell castle estate when Barratt homes "accidentally" demolished it the council served a reinstatement notice on it and it now looks better than ever.
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)