Finmeoot

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gap74 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi John,

I lived in Westburn till I was about 13, then moved to Halfway in 1988, where I'm currently back at after a spell in the west end. Most of my family are from Westburn though, those that are still alive still live there.

Interesting story about the blood poisoning, reminded me of the current sorry state of the land where St Charles' Chapel stood.

Went down to FinMeOot last week, was sad to see the place being used as a compound by a contractor of Newtwork Rail for repairs to the railway tunnel over the Rotten Calder. I do hope they make a half decent job of restoring it after they've gone - took some shots for comparison:

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

the pic youthink is a sewer was a bathin pool for the wains

Postby davieboy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:57 am

Apollo wrote:I'm going to send a bill for my troosers and the worn out edge of my seat soon ::):

I have a map that shows Caldervale clearly as two rows of buildings. They're located in the space defined by a road (NOT the Westburn or Calder Road, which is a little south of it) that spurs northeast off the Blantyre Farm Road, and a fairly sharp bend in the Rotten Calder. It also shows an electricity pylon directly accross the road from the end of the buildings.

I'll try and get a grid ref off the map and/or an image I can post later.

Is this becoming an HG outing 8)
my father was born at finmeeoot and eddy was his brother will post loads of pics soon and loads of info
davieboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:50 pm

I was there a few months ago, and the contractor was still working. Had used the former road and foundation area for houses nearest the bench as a dumping area for spoil tips and large blocks of stone and rubble.

Live local does the very spot in hi-res. The following link is centred on the Fin-Me-Oot bench shown in the earlier pics, and clearly shows the access road stub heading south from the bench:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... e=a&lvl=18
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:22 pm

I wonder if Finmeoot was a joke name. I met a man who lived in a hamlet called Finmeoot in Airdrie. It was accessed via the road that goes past the back of Inverhouse distillery. Theres little of it left now, just some rubble and bumps in the grass. He said it was called Finmeoot because of its remoteness. I think its proper name was Wester Dunsyston or summat like that. Coincidentally, the local high school is a stones throw from the site and it is called......Caldervale. Twilight Zone eh?
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

i have a newspaper clippin of the residents of finmeoot

Postby davieboy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:41 pm

gap74 wrote:If you were going to take pics, then it probably is best to wait till at least September now - I've known about the place for about 15 years and the level of tree growth in that time has been quite something, couldn't believe it when I visited again recently after an absence of a few years.

But any time of year is good for just a plain old poke around, and pics of the interiors of the buildings are probably better taken at this time of year, since some of them are fairly prone to a good few inches of groundwater sitting in them.

Gary
my father was born at finmeeoot and eddy was his brother will post loads of pics soon and loads of info
davieboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bonz » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:53 pm

I was browsing the old thread about the WWII Anti-Aircraft battery and was taking a closer look at the photograph below (pic courtesy of Gap74 ). You can make out the houses of Caldervale in the top right hand corner...

Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Finmeoot

Postby shug+burns1961 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:05 am

its bax, the sign also we found 2 in memory of plaques, near old wall , which runs left-side, near clothes pole. hugh :cry:
feeeelupppapoppop
shug+burns1961
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Fin-Me-Oot.

Postby CAPTAN » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:55 pm

davieboy wrote:
gap74 wrote:If you were going to take pics, then it probably is best to wait till at least September now - I've known about the place for about 15 years and the level of tree growth in that time has been quite something, couldn't believe it when I visited again recently after an absence of a few years.

But any time of year is good for just a plain old poke around, and pics of the interiors of the buildings are probably better taken at this time of year, since some of them are fairly prone to a good few inches of groundwater sitting in them.

Gary
davieboy wrote:

Gary
[b][/b]
[quote="gap74"]Hi John,

I lived in Westburn till I was about 13, then moved to Halfway in 1988, where I'm currently back at after a spell in the west end. Most of my family are from Westburn though, those that are still alive still live there.

Interesting story about the blood poisoning, reminded me of the current sorry state of the land where St Charles' Chapel stood.

Went down to FinMeOot last week, was sad to see the place being used as a compound by a contractor of Newtwork Rail for repairs to the railway tunnel over the Rotten Calder. I do hope they make a half decent job of restoring it after they've gone - took some shots for comparison:

Gary[/quote

I was born in Caldervale Terrace 1935. Attended St. Charles School Nicknamed Fin-Me-Oot, Caldervale Terrace was in two parts 20 houses in each of the two buildings. We had to walk to school on the wee path that passed through Newton Pit. When we returned from school we would make for the swing park as you came through the Bridge
where the Network rail have their compound. That was the ashy pitch where we played football. The Miners Welfare
stood in that bit of land. It was over two miles to Uddingston where we went to the cinema you had to walk as there was no bus service . We would walk to Newton where we got the bus for Cambuslang and tram to Glasgow. My parents moved house to Blantyre just after the pits were nationalised. STVs news program "HERE AND NOW"
went to Caldervale and newsman Bill Tennant interviewed the last family,Billy & Mary Green, left in the terrace as it was being demolished back in 1962. I have been looking for 16mm film of Caldervale taken by Lanarkshire County Council, but no luck so fare. I have managed a collection of stills, only a couple of the building,most are of people
in and around Fin me oot. We put together a quick video back in the 80s and hoping to update it when this film might turn up. The Newsreel from Here & Now was said to have been destroyed in a fire that swept through the STV studio.
News Papers published a dispute with BT over the one and only Phone Box in Fin-Me-Oot. Every house had its own inside toilet,no bath. The sewage system was in a reed bed next to the Calder. And that photograph you have showing Redlees was where the RAF had a Barrage Ballon. German bombers used to follow the River Clyde and turn around Motherwell We would then take cover in the air raid shelter as shrapnel rained down when the big guns opened fire on the aircraft as they made their bomb run on Clydebank.
Hope this info is of use .
CAPTAN ( without the i)
CAPTAN
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:13 am

CAPTAN wrote: It was over two miles to Uddingston where we went to the cinema you had to walk as there was no bus service .

Sorry to divert, but where was the cinema in Uddingston? I've never heard of one, and gap74's cinema site doesn't have one listed that I can see.

CAPTAN wrote: German bombers used to follow the River Clyde and turn around Motherwell We would then take cover in the air raid shelter as shrapnel rained down when the big guns opened fire on the aircraft as they made their bomb run on Clydebank.

They had the odd go at the gas works at Bothwell. They missed. :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Finmeoot

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 am

Cracking info Captan - would be great to see any material you have on the place.

The info about the STV program being lost in a fire may well be right - I currently work in the Theatre Royal, which was STV's studios up until 1974, and there was indeed a large fire there in 1969, I think.

Someone else on here somewhere worked in STV recently, archiving some of the older material when they moved to their new studios, can't remember who though.

Here's a link to an aerial shot taken during the war of the Anti-Aircraft gun site nearby - you can just see Caldervale in the background:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/images/l/1020790/
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:18 am

Josef wrote:They had the odd go at the gas works at Bothwell. They missed. :)

I blame Glaucoma & the fact that Hitlet only had one ball (we pun on 'both well' err) :oops:

See me? See clever?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:22 am

Josef wrote:Sorry to divert, but where was the cinema in Uddingston? I've never heard of one, and gap74's cinema site doesn't have one listed that I can see.

Aye, photos of Uddingston cinemas have utterly eluded us, although we've info on three of them in the database:

New PH Uddingston
700s. Closed 1958, originally a public hall. Demolished for extension to Grammar school. The building was originally erected as a public hall, and hosted many performances of local operatic and choral groups. The silent "pictures" were first brought to Uddingston by a Mr White, a plumber, and a Mr Young, an electrician. Later, Mr Lionel Horton took over the hall and renamed the building the Picture House.

Pavilion Spindlehow Road / Crofthead Street Uddingston Demolished
744 seats. O.1921. 'Picturesque, in the Oriental style'. Extended 1925. Closed mid 50s.

Town Hall Uddingston
(Possibly the New PH referred to above?)

I also seem to recall a fella contacting us who was related to George Palmer, the man behind the George cinemas chain across the Central belt - he was also looking unsuccessfully for a photo of the Uddingston one, although I'm not sure which of the above three became a George.

Sorry, bit rubbish!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:24 am

HollowHorn wrote:
Josef wrote:See me? See clever?

See mutually exclusive?

My granny had her windows blown out by Adolf's boys, I'll have you know.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 am

gap74 wrote:
Josef wrote:Sorry to divert, but where was the cinema in Uddingston? I've never heard of one, and gap74's cinema site doesn't have one listed that I can see.

Aye, photos of Uddingston cinemas have utterly eluded us, although we've info on three of them in the database:

New PH Uddingston
700s. Closed 1958, originally a public hall. Demolished for extension to Grammar school. The building was originally erected as a public hall, and hosted many performances of local operatic and choral groups. The silent "pictures" were first brought to Uddingston by a Mr White, a plumber, and a Mr Young, an electrician. Later, Mr Lionel Horton took over the hall and renamed the building the Picture House.

Pavilion Spindlehow Road / Crofthead Street Uddingston Demolished
744 seats. O.1921. 'Picturesque, in the Oriental style'. Extended 1925. Closed mid 50s.

Town Hall Uddingston
(Possibly the New PH referred to above?)

I also seem to recall a fella contacting us who was related to George Palmer, the man behind the George cinemas chain across the Central belt - he was also looking unsuccessfully for a photo of the Uddingston one, although I'm not sure which of the above three became a George.

Sorry, bit rubbish!

A 744 seat cinema in Spindlehow Road / Crofthead Street? Really? My grandmother lived within half a mile of that area from the thirties onwards, but unfortunately she died a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can get anyone else who might have any information.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:39 am

Josef wrote:My granny had her windows blown out by Adolf's boys, I'll have you know.

Hope yir granny & granda were both well ::):

Sorry Gap. :oops:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)