Finmeoot

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Finmeoot

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:41 am

Looking at Google Maps, I'm guessing it was actually SpindlehowE Rd, which does indeed intersect with Crofthead St - looks like there's been a fair bit of redevelopment there though.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:59 am

gap74 wrote:Looking at Google Maps, I'm guessing it was actually SpindlehowE Rd, which does indeed intersect with Crofthead St - looks like there's been a fair bit of redevelopment there though.

You're right, and there has, but I'm fairly sure that I was around when the majority of the demolition in that area took place, and I don't remember anything of that nature. Your information is probably more reliable than my memory, though. I'll have a word with some of the older natives next time I'm out that way. :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:08 am

Looks like there's a 1935 map reprint available for the area, might pick one up, these usually only cost a couple of quid:

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/lk1103.htm
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fin-Me-Oot.

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:52 am

Josef wrote:
gap74 wrote:New PH Uddingston
700s. Closed 1958, originally a public hall. Demolished for extension to Grammar school. The building was originally erected as a public hall, and hosted many performances of local operatic and choral groups. The silent "pictures" were first brought to Uddingston by a Mr White, a plumber, and a Mr Young, an electrician. Later, Mr Lionel Horton took over the hall and renamed the building the Picture House.

Pavilion Spindlehow Road / Crofthead Street Uddingston Demolished
744 seats. O.1921. 'Picturesque, in the Oriental style'. Extended 1925. Closed mid 50s.

Town Hall Uddingston
(Possibly the New PH referred to above?)

I also seem to recall a fella contacting us who was related to George Palmer, the man behind the George cinemas chain across the Central belt - he was also looking unsuccessfully for a photo of the Uddingston one, although I'm not sure which of the above three became a George.

Sorry, bit rubbish!

It was the one in Crofthead Street.

It was apparently cleared much earlier than the rest of the area, which went in the seventies.

There is a story that the owner was fined in the forties for not showing the statutory quota of British films.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:11 am

Josef wrote:

There is a story that the owner was fined in the forties for not showing the statutory quota of British films.

The quota gave rise to another Glasgow putdown of something that was rubbish. "Is this a British Picture?"
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby CAPTAN » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:07 pm

Josef wrote:
Josef wrote:
gap74 wrote:New PH Uddingston
700s. Closed 1958, originally a public hall. Demolished for extension to Grammar school. The building was originally erected as a public hall, and hosted many performances of local operatic and choral groups. The silent "pictures" were first brought to Uddingston by a Mr White, a plumber, and a Mr Young, an electrician. Later, Mr Lionel Horton took over the hall and renamed the building the Picture House.

Pavilion Spindlehow Road / Crofthead Street Uddingston Demolished
744 seats. O.1921. 'Picturesque, in the Oriental style'. Extended 1925. Closed mid 50s.

Town Hall Uddingston
(Possibly the New PH referred to above?)

I also seem to recall a fella contacting us who was related to George Palmer, the man behind the George cinemas chain across the Central belt - he was also looking unsuccessfully for a photo of the Uddingston one, although I'm not sure which of the above three became a George.

Sorry, bit rubbish!

It was the one in Crofthead Street.

It was apparently cleared much earlier than the rest of the area, which went in the seventies.

There is a story that the owner was fined in tFilms he forties for not showing the statutory quota of British films.
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Josef wrote:

The quota gave rise to another Glasgow putdown of something that was rubbish. "Is this a British Picture?"

Not true. All films during the war were British as convoys shipped food and materials for the war effort. Hollywood films wouln't have been on the list. Newsreels were the big thing of the day (People wanted to know how the War was going) Ice cream was no more, gone were the days of washing out the jam jar to gain entry to the Pictures ane sweets were rationed. Crown Films turned out stuff for the War Office,but feature films also hit the screens.ie NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH (1940), PIMPERNEL SMITH (1941), THE NEXT OF KIN (1942), MILLIONS LIKE US (1943) ect. American stuff from the 30's John Wayne, Ray Corrigan ect
flickered on to the screen after the War. The big 1939 Hollywood block buster Gone with the Wind nevere reached the UK until the 50s. The British Film industry started shooting War movies like THE CAPTIVE HEART (1946), AGAINST THE WIND (1947), THE WOODEN HORSE (1950), THE SOUND BARRIER (1952), ALBERT R.N. (1953), THE NIGHT MY NUMBER CAME UP (1955), THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1956), THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (1957), DANGER WITHIN (1958), DUNKIRK (1958), I WAS MONTY’S DOUBLE (1958), ORDERS TO KILL (1958), SINK THE BISMARCK! (1960), TUNES OF GLORY (1960), etc.. He could have been he was fined for not showing or playing "THE KING" People would stand as God Save the King would be played in the cinema at the end of the show.
CAPTAN
CAPTAN
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:21 pm

You may be right, but...

The Cinematograph Films Act 1927
... The quota was initially set at 7.5% for exhibitors, which was raised to 20% in 1935.

The Cinematograph Films Act 1938
It established the Cinematograph Films Council (which was abolished in 1985) and set the British screen quota for feature films and for short films at 15 per cent for renters and 12½ for exhibitors. This was to encourage bigger budget films that could compete better internationally, although producers were concerned that it would lead to more American production in the UK—a policy approved by the Board of Trade.
Repealed by and consolidated in Films Act 1960.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Curiously, looking at that latter link :

THE CELLULOID AND CINEMATOGRAPH FILM ACT 1922
12&13 Geo.5 c.35
An Act to make better provision for the prevention of fires in premises where raw celluloid or cinematograph film is stored or used.
The Act applied in Scotland except in 'the city and royal burgh of Glasgow' nor in the city of Liverpool, which had its own law in the Liverpool Corporation Act 1921.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hervey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Captan wrote "the hollywood blockbuster Gone with the Wind didn't reach the UK until the 50's
Absolute bollocks.
I saw Gone with the Wind at a Rutherglen cinema in 1942 or 1943. The picture was so long, nearly 4 hours, we had to walk home to Cambuslang because of missing the last bus.
Hervey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:19 pm

The IMDB lists its UK release date as 17th April 1940, although in those days before the dominance of TV and the invention of video, it wasn't uncommon for these huge films to be re-released a generation later - indeed, I came across a photo of a cinema in Kilmarnock the other day which was advertising it on its canopy - and this was from the mid-70s!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:06 pm

The 70s reissue of Gone with the Wind was contraversial for film buffs as the film was given a cinemscope print by chopping the top and bottom off the original print frames.

How can anyone believe Captan when he repeats the myth about jam jars being accepted in return for entry to the cinema.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri May 01, 2009 5:40 am

gap74 wrote:
Aye, photos of Uddingston cinemas have utterly eluded us, although we've info on three of them in the database:

A poor next-best-thing, I suppose :

From 1950/51 judging by the films.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Uddingston cinemas

Postby duinemor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 pm

My recollection is that the cinema at the corner of Crofthead Street and Spindlehowe Road was called The George. Across the road was Galbraiths and Sweeneys sweet shop and a penned close that went through to the back of Maxwell Place (27-33 Spindlehowe Road).

In the fifties, we used to hang about outside the front of the cinema when there were films showing until the projectionists would respond to requests to throw down scraps of film offcuts from the window in their box above the front entrance.

When the cinema closed around the late 1950s, it soon became derelict and was easy to access. We got lots of scrap wood from the closed cinema for building bogies, and for bonfires for Guy Fawkes night.

There was another cinema near the Grammar School - I think it closed first, maybe early 1950s.
duinemor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: fin-me-oot

Postby Gerry B » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Spittal wrote:Found another pic of Caldervale on the web in the form of an old postcard.
Redlees Farm in the foreground and the houses of Caldervale in the background.
Alex.

1945 Aerial View
The Last Time I looked In The Mirror! I Was Still There......
Gerry B
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duinemor » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Josef wrote:
gap74 wrote:
Aye, photos of Uddingston cinemas have utterly eluded us, although we've info on three of them in the database:

A poor next-best-thing, I suppose :

From 1950/51 judging by the films.

This is Uddingston Cross. The corner, I think, where Simpsons Florists was long located. There was a low wall that curved round the corner where old worthies of the village would sit and pass the time of day. On thre opposite corner of Bellshill Road/Main Street was a rather ornate public cludgie.
duinemor
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)