Finmeoot

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fin-Me-Oot.

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 pm

duinemor wrote:This is Uddingston Cross. The corner, I think, where Simpsons Florists was long located. There was a low wall that curved round the corner where old worthies of the village would sit and pass the time of day. On thre opposite corner of Bellshill Road/Main Street was a rather ornate public cludgie.

Yes.

Don't think I remember the cludgie. There was certainly a fish shop, the original Tunnocks factory shop and, in a now vanished road, a petrol station. And possibly the original Paccitti's cafe?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Finmeoot

Postby duinemor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:46 am

There were two fish and chip shops, Russo's and Rinaldi's if my grey cells recall. One is definitely still there under another name(Tortolano's?) and was on the Main Street at the Bothwell side of the lights. The public loo was almost directly opposite this and is now a garden area, adjacent to which is the Beild retirement home. The other chip shop was on the opposite side of Main Street and on the Uddingston side of the lights, facing across to Tunnock's tea room. Old Mill Road extended across Bellshill Road into the area approximately now occupied by Springfield Gardens; and Pacitti's cafe, per my dodgy memory, was on that corner - opposite Tunnocks new factory. This extension to Old Mill Road, which looped round and came out at the Main Street roughly opposite the police station, had Wise's Garage on it.
duinemor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:55 pm

The chip shop on the Bothwell end was Rinaldis.

I don't think I ever knew the name of the one on the Uddingston end, since no-one sensible ever went there, but it was owned by the guy that pretty much owned that entire side of the street, as I'm pretty sure is covered on her somewhere, maybe even on this thread (sorry, I'm in a rush).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duinemor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm

I'd thought it was the other way round - Rinaldi's on the Uddingston end (that side of the street was always a bit run down) and Russo's at the Bothwell end. Mrs Russo and two sons worked the fish and chip shop. I think the Russo's owned a bit of property in the village.
duinemor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)